Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

transmission fluid instead of power steering fluid?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission fluid instead of power steering fluid?

steering is making nasty noises which im quite sure if the power steering complaining about being thirsty, ive heard you can just use transmission fluid to fill it up, is this true or will it do damage?
    car is 04 fairmont ghia

It depends what the seals are made of in the rack, but i don't see why you wouldn't just use ps fluid.

Comment

Well I'm fairly certain PS fluid in a transmission is a bad idea.....so I think this logic works the other way too.....not certain though.

Comment

I'm running ATF in lieu of power steering fluid, but only because I had some lying around that saved me a trip to buy some PS fluid and it's been well documented to work fine on my particular vehicle.

Comment

generally it's okay, grab the manual that came with the car and check what the actual oil standard is, it'll say dexron 3 or something weird like that

just match it up with whatever ATF/PS fluid you have access to.

Comment

just considering using trans fluid since we dont have ps fluid lying around, but we do have trans fluid (fairmonts are autos), so going by adowbs and this mechanic i heard it from, should be sweet?

Comment

Originally posted by Marty View Post
              generally it's okay, grab the manual that came with the car and check what the actual oil standard is, it'll say dexron 3 or something weird like that

cheers mate

Comment

Just ran out to check, indeed Dexron III ATF fluid is what I'm using in mine right now.

Comment

transmission fluid instead of power steering fluid?

This//
                  I use ATF in my statesman for the power steering...works fine and is listed in the manual as well

Sent using eBay turbo at 40psi

Comment

Working...
                  X