Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forester XT Modding

Hi Forum,

Iv'e been on the hunt for a new car for the past few months, and recently I have been looking at the Subaru Forester XT MY09 (2008). I have finally found one that I am happy with and will be picking it up on the weekend.

I recently started watching MCM video's after a few searches on youtube for the forester came up with some hits. And the things Moog and Marty have done to Moog's Forester have left me in a state of "what has been seen cannot be unseen". I just LOVE the look of the front end.

I want to start small, and just stick with the front end cosmetics, the front lip and front grill are what I want to tackle first, and then move onto other things as money allows. Performance isn't a number 1 priority, as it's just going to be my daily drive.

Where would be the best place to source the non-Australian grill?

I have found the Lip on the Ultrex site, so that shouldn't be a problem
    Last edited by bubblegoose; 17-07-2012, 09:02 PM.

if i were you i would go talk to a subaru dealership and ask them to order one, or call subaru

Comment

Yup - lip is from Ultrex. Rob will look after you.

Don't go to Subaru Aus for your grille. Moog bought his from eBay. You have to let them know what colour you need but it's about 1/3 of the price you will pay here in Aus.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-OE-Su...item27c920d83e

Comment

Originally posted by morganluke View Post
        Yup - lip is from Ultrex. Rob will look after you.

Don't go to Subaru Aus for your grille. Moog bought his from eBay. You have to let them know what colour you need but it's about 1/3 of the price you will pay here in Aus.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-OE-Su...item27c920d83e
        Wicked thanks for the tip! I will order one Monday (I would order one now, however I don't want to be left with a grill the wrong colour if the deal goes pear shaped, and the next one I find is a different colour).

So what mod should I do after those?

Comment

Lower it
          Tint windows
          Wheels
          Exhaust
          Sway bars
          Strut brace

Comment

Originally posted by morganluke View Post
            Lower it
            Tint windows
            Wheels
            Exhaust
            Sway bars
            Strut brace
            Thanks for suggestions.

It already has tinted windows, so hopefully that will be blaaack enough.
            Any idea of the price to lower it? I would need to get new wheels if I did that, as with the stockies it would look a bit silly. As for rims, I have to say I love the look of the ultrex RS rims moog used, however I think being a dark grey car, the white version might look better? I might have to take a look around and see if I can find anything I like the look of more.

Would the stock exhaust really make much of a difference? If I got an ECU Flasher (Ez Flash Pro etc), without an exhaust upgrade, how effective would be upping the boost and slapping on a new tune be? I might have to do some research on how much of a gain it would get (as they aren't cheap, and about $1000 a pop).

Also, I have full comprehensive, would I be at risk of voiding the insurance if I did any of the above suggested mods?

Comment

Insurance isn't void but if you want to replace the modified items in the case of an accident, you'll need to list them on your policy.

That is, if you put aftermarket wheels on your car without listing them on your insurance policy, then crash the car and damage your rims, they will only replace them with the stock wheels.

Factory tint is usually pretty cheap stuff. After 5 years, my XT's factory tint was purple! Fixed that up with some quality 20 percent film and it looks so much better.

Re suspension, depends how you go about it. As said in Moogs video, there aren't many options out there because the car hasn't been around for long. Moog's first setup was the cheapest version but it didn't lower it all that much. It It was a massive improvement over stock – looks and handling-wise but he now has coilovers and it looks absolutely fantastic! A decent set of coilies might set you back $1200.

Wheels are a personal choice. There are plenty of choices out there.
              Stud pattern: 5x100
              Offset: +48 (not 100 percent on this but the previous Foz’s have this offset)
              The stock wheels aren’t hideous and the car would still look great rolling on them when lowered.

Tune + exhaust go hand in hand. If you get a tune without an exhaust, you’re wasting money as there is still so many restrictions in the current system. You can get an exhaust without tuning straight away and have no problems. The SH Forester has a Y pipe into two mufflers which is an added expense unfortunately.

My personal opinion is to always do the tune last. As in if you have plans to upgrade the exhaust, turbo, intercooler, headers, injectors, pumps, etc, do all this then go get a tune. You will notice the biggest difference this way. Nothing will stop you from continuing to upgrade as time goes on and then getting it tuned again (there’s no limit) but it all costs money!

There’s a wealth of knowledge and experience on Subaru and Forester specific forums which you should check out.
              www.ozfoz.com
              www.subyclub.com
              Last edited by morganluke; 19-07-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info mate.

I can see now why Moog said the ride was "scary" haha. It rocks about literally like a boat :P

I think (apart from new grill and lip) the first thing that needs to change is the springs. Did Moog have a build thread talking about the parts he put in the car? I don't want the expense of coil overs, and I don't mind the current ride height, but whatever he put in first will suit my needs perfectly. How much would something like that cost? Also, if I take it somewhere to get done, do they buy back the stock shocks/springs? I wouldn't have a use for them haha.

Cheers for the help

Comment

He doesn't have a thread unfortunately but I think it was Pedders?

You'll have to change the rear struts as well because the stock ones are self levelling.

Hopefully he sees this thread and will be able to share some info!

Comment

Yeah I had a look back through the video to have a look and he said he put in some pedders sport ryder's in. However it would be good to know exactly what went in, and a rough cost involved (compared to coil overs etc).

Hopefully he reads this! haha

Comment

I want to put a blow off valve on the forester, because I like the way they sound (nothing too loud though). Can you get ones that have adjustable volume? As I want to keep it stealth most of the time for obvious reasons. Also with the stock turbo is a boost controller worth it/required?

Comment

There are a range of BOVs you can buy. I have an adjustable GFB one on my XT and it's great!

MBC aren't worth it unless you are planning some other upgrades. The stock motor (untuned) can only handle a certain amount of power and it's set at a certain point for a reason.

Comment

Iv'e been thinking of getting one of these as well as one of these.

Would I be better off buying an ECU flasher (ez tune pro etc) and then running a GFB adjustable BOV? The ECU flash will be able to change the boost levels right?

Comment

Morgan Luke has this thread covered! Lowered springs should be 50% the cost of coilovers.

Can't do tune without new exhaust. Boost is set at around 1 bar. Good safe level and it's adjustable via multiple tunes on the ezy flash unit.

GFB RESPONS is the way to go. Adjustable and Australian made. Plus they are a sponsor and their products rule!

Other than that please post up some pics!!

Comment

Originally posted by MOOG View Post
                              Morgan Luke has this thread covered! Lowered springs should be 50% the cost of coilovers.

Can't do tune without new exhaust. Boost is set at around 1 bar. Good safe level and it's adjustable via multiple tunes on the ezy flash unit.

GFB RESPONS is the way to go. Adjustable and Australian made. Plus they are a sponsor and their products rule!

Other than that please post up some pics!!
                              I will have to get some shots for sure. However it just looks like any other dark grey MY09 haha.

I am waiting to hear back from my local mechanic regarding a quote for the pedders shocks. He is waiting to hear back from pedders apparently.
                              Last edited by bubblegoose; 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X