Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: car wont idle

  1. #1
    Frangipani
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dandenong
    Posts
    10

    Default car wont idle

    first of all i was really excited for the MCM meet this sat in melb, but unfortunately my car decided to play up, i want to fix it before this saturday so i can attend...

    problem is when i was driving i reved it a bit and everything locked up. when that happened i tried starting the engine up again, it will only start if i push the accelerator pedal repeatedly, eventually the car will start after 20secs of pushing the accelerator pedal repeatedly, when it does start it wont idle it will just stall, and black smoke comes out of the exhaust with the smell of a fuel (smells like a petrol station)

    now i dont have a AFM im using a HKS v con pro ecu, my car is an autech s15... i did check the vacuum lines but not sure if i checked them right, but i had a feel of them and everything was in place and tight... i dont know what it is, any ideas ?

  2. #2
    quack Rake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by autech_s15 View Post
    first of all i was really excited for the MCM meet this sat in melb, but unfortunately my car decided to play up, i want to fix it before this saturday so i can attend...

    problem is when i was driving i reved it a bit and everything locked up. when that happened i tried starting the engine up again, it will only start if i push the accelerator pedal repeatedly, eventually the car will start after 20secs of pushing the accelerator pedal repeatedly, when it does start it wont idle it will just stall, and black smoke comes out of the exhaust with the smell of a fuel (smells like a petrol station)

    now i dont have a AFM im using a HKS v con pro ecu, my car is an autech s15... i did check the vacuum lines but not sure if i checked them right, but i had a feel of them and everything was in place and tight... i dont know what it is, any ideas ?
    Is the ECU tuned for the Autech? I'll guess so..

    I think a MAP sensor problem is very possible. If the vacuum line was disconnected, it would read atmospheric pressure, not vacuum. Atmospheric pressure (or near to it) usually only happens at wide-open throttle, so it could think the throttle is all the way down, meaning it'll be expecting a heap of air thus dumping in a heap of fuel. Assuming the MAP sensor itself is working. It could maybe just be faulty and doing the same thing (with the vac lines being OK)

    Maybe find the map sensor, take off the hose, and put a vacuum gauge on it. It should show vacuum. If no change, then you've definitly got a vacuum leak somewhere. If you don't have a gauge, maybe just listen to it or put your thumb on it to hear/feel if it's sucking air.


    That's assuming a vacuum line problem, or part of the intake has come undone. They're likely and simple culprits. But that could be barking up the wrong tree - it could be a number of things. Fuel pressure too high, no/poor ignition (coilpacks / spark plugs), faulty sensors, ECU troubles, wiring faults (if wiring has been modified), etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by autech_s15 View Post
    i was driving i reved it a bit and everything locked up
    Define "locked up"?
    Last edited by Rake; 16-04-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    "...And there will come a time where the sins
    of man become too great to be ignored."
    -- Revelations 99:13


  3. #3
    MCM Forum Addict DevZed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post
    Is the ECU tuned for the Autech? I'll guess so..

    I think a MAP sensor problem is very possible. If the vacuum line was disconnected, it would read atmospheric pressure, not vacuum. Atmospheric pressure (or near to it) usually only happens at wide-open throttle, so it could think the throttle is all the way down, meaning it'll be expecting a heap of air thus dumping in a heap of fuel. Assuming the MAP sensor itself is working. It could maybe just be faulty and doing the same thing (with the vac lines being OK)

    Maybe find the map sensor, take off the hose, and put a vacuum gauge on it. It should show vacuum. If no change, then you've definitly got a vacuum leak somewhere. If you don't have a gauge, maybe just listen to it or put your thumb on it to hear/feel if it's sucking air.


    That's assuming a vacuum line problem, or part of the intake has come undone. They're likely and simple culprits. But that could be barking up the wrong tree - it could be a number of things. Fuel pressure too high, no/poor ignition (coilpacks / spark plugs), faulty sensors, ECU troubles, wiring faults (if wiring has been modified), etc.



    Define "locked up"?
    I assume he means it stalled, did you say it doesnt have an AFM?
    All Class...
    1979 Datsun 280zx **Sold**
    2008 BMW 325I-M **Sold**
    1983 BMW 323I *For sale, whole car or parts*
    1985 BMW 535I

  4. #4
    quack Rake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    A car won't stall if it's moving.. Unless you put the clutch in - and even then it should idle, except we have a fault. If the clutch wasn't pushed in, it would still turn but just no power.

    Spyke: Having an aftermarket ECU, the Check Engine light might not operate the same, it might not even come on at all. The standard diagnostic port probably wouldn't work either. We can predict how a standard car would behave, but if it's got aftermarket parts in it, we'd have to consult its documentation for troubleshooting information.
    Last edited by Rake; 17-04-2012 at 12:24 AM.
    "...And there will come a time where the sins
    of man become too great to be ignored."
    -- Revelations 99:13


  5. #5
    Frangipani
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dandenong
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post
    Define "locked up"?
    locked up as in brakes went out and steering wheel locked and was hard to move from left to right, i forgot to mention that when you do end up starting the car the engine is very lumpy and sounds rough.

    how do i go about checking the map sensor ? i hate dealing with electrical faults.

    ive heard that it could be the fuel regulator ? could that be it, currently i have a GTR fuel pump and regulator.

    also sparks have been changed about 2000Ks ago, so i dont think the problem would be there.

    what really annoys me is how could the ecu be playing up now(if it is the ecu) ? i drove the car from sydney to melb, working fine, i drove around for a month than BAM....

  6. #6
    Frangipani
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dandenong
    Posts
    10

    Default

    that is exactly what it is, i hope this is the case if it is what pressure regulator can i change it to and how do i change it ? anyone know how ? any brands i can use ?

  7. #7
    MCM Forum Addict DevZed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post
    A car won't stall if it's moving.. Unless you put the clutch in - and even then it should idle, except we have a fault. If the clutch wasn't pushed in, it would still turn but just no power.

    Spyke: Having an aftermarket ECU, the Check Engine light might not operate the same, it might not even come on at all. The standard diagnostic port probably wouldn't work either. We can predict how a standard car would behave, but if it's got aftermarket parts in it, we'd have to consult its documentation for troubleshooting information.
    but it could have flooded? that would cause it to stall lol
    All Class...
    1979 Datsun 280zx **Sold**
    2008 BMW 325I-M **Sold**
    1983 BMW 323I *For sale, whole car or parts*
    1985 BMW 535I

  8. #8
    quack Rake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by autech_s15 View Post
    locked up as in brakes went out and steering wheel locked and was hard to move from left to right, i forgot to mention that when you do end up starting the car the engine is very lumpy and sounds rough.
    Auto? Manual? What gear? clutch up or down? What are the symptoms when it happened, and what did you do, when it happened. At that moment. Not 20 seconds later once you'd pulled over.


    how do i go about checking the map sensor ? i hate dealing with electrical faults.
    I made some suggestions, basically check the vacuum line that goes to the map sensor to actually make sure there's vacuum there. Nothing electric about that.


    Even just check the tubes that make up the intake. I once popped a intercooler hose. And I once saw a VL Commodore (RB30E) pop off an intake hose just from the motor moving.

    Where does the Vacuum line for the MAP Sensor come from?
    Last edited by Rake; 17-04-2012 at 05:31 AM.
    "...And there will come a time where the sins
    of man become too great to be ignored."
    -- Revelations 99:13


  9. #9
    Frangipani
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dandenong
    Posts
    10

    Default

    had racv road side assist come and check it out before, turns out the intake was pushing air out of the pod instead of taking it in, the guy told me to take it to a mechanic and do a comp test....

  10. #10
    feels indifferent about chrome leadfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    queensland
    Posts
    2,995

    Default

    sounds like you've bent some valves :S not good!
    the build it started as show and quickly turned into GO!

    Mitsubishi service and electrical manuals hosted by me for you mitsi nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by MOOG View Post
    right next to my Silvia was an old Mitsubishi colt that had somehow managed to dodge the flames and was fine! absolutely perfect. every ugly panel of it. i could almost feel the Mitsubishi badge laughing at me and I've hated them ever since.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •