Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 channel amp to one sub

Frangipani

Default 4 channel amp to one sub

hey guys,
    so yer i have a boss audio amp i htink its 1200 watt and its connected to the two back speakers (alpine type s) and is located in the boot of my car, so im guessing the two speakers r taking up two channel ye?

but the question is can i somehow conect a pioneer subwoofer (dnt no the power ratings or nuthin, was my bro's old one) to the amp? and if so how?

cheers

PS: nissan pulsar n15 sedan

This is a limited explanation, but anyhow.

You could connect a speaker to each channel. So in theory, you could run 2 subs, one off each channel output.

If you're only using 1 speaker/sub, you run it in Mono. Most amps will display how to wire this up with the connectors. Note the markings above the connectors.

I have an old Pioneer amp lying around, here's a pic.

So for example, I might have:

- Left speaker on Channel A, L+ and L-.
    - Right speaker on Channel A, R+ and R-.
    - Sub on Channel B, L+ and R-.

Of course, check your own amp first, as it may differ. If it's not on the amp itself, find its model number and see if you can find any manuals/documentation. Manuals may also describe explicitly how to connect a sub. Also ensure that it's capable of doing what you want it to do, and finding out what the sub's specs are would also be a good idea to make sure everything is compatible.

Disclaimer: I seldom do stereo installs, so don't blame me if things blow up
    Last edited by Rake; 09-03-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Frangipani

wow thanks man that actually makes sense to me...thanks heeps bro il give the bridging thing a try.. lol wats the posibility that il **** the whole systemm up? lol and dw i wnt blame u

I believe its OK to use 1 channel pair for speakers, and the other for a sub, but I'm not sure as I don't setup amps very often

The only stereo I did install using amps had a 4 channel running all the cabin speakers (Front + Rear), and a 2nd amp dedicated to the sub.

As said, it's best to do some research - googling around for your specific amp, and see if the manufacturer specifies if and how to do it.

Either case though, hopefully that'll get you in the right direction.

Hey mate, saw this up on the PGA site aswell.

Rake pretty much just said what me and others did on PGA, just with a nice pic lol

Hope you understand it now! Its really easy once you get your head around it, once you've done it once you'll never ever forget!

And you'll have all your friends running to you asking you to install their systems for you, trust me! Lol thats why i charge now :P

Frangipani

hahaha yer man all the peopple that posted stuff on both sites were good, just wanted to get as much info as possible, where u located man and wats ur goin rate for installs? would be sick to start installing more often.

cheers

Hey, Im blue mountains/Western Sydney.
    Depends on what im installing etc, but i like to keep it below $50, when i knew nothing and went to JB HI-FI for a quote on an install of 1 headunit, 4speakers and one amp and they told me $395 which was about 200 more than i bought the stuff for i decided i'd learn how to install it myself and offer it to anyone else for cheap easy rates!

Also depends on how hard the car is to take apart etc in general!

But if you want to get into installing, do lots of research on the net, i found a great youtube video on it! Helped alot in my first install, and do exactly as your doing, ask questions on forums, we're all willing to help!

Coz like i said, once you've done it once you will be able to do it over and over, with newer and more advanced installs etc. I mean i've done around 25 - 30 installs for myself, friends, friends of friends. Anything from a headunit, to speakers, to amps, to two amps etc.

Although, a point to mention is i STILL dont know how to disguish factory wires with a multimetre! But im hoping the upcoming MCM video show the exact specifics on how to do it ** HINT HINT MOOG & MARTY ** lol, i would love for you guys to go into detail with this, it would help soo many people as this is the one thing that stumps me! I still can only replace aftermarket units!!! Except for pulsars thanks to PGA's wiring guides!

Anyway mate, good luck! Any more questions dont be hesitant to ask!

J.OCP, how is the amp receiving signal from the head unit? Hi or Low level?

Also, can you post some pics of the terminals?

Midnight Mechanic, Midday Moderator Faceplant's Avatar

amps are rather easy to install, the first one i had i did it in the JB HI-FI car park... then i pumped up the bass as i left. head decks are also easy even when replacing a standard one ... just work which wires are what ...

you will have 1 constant power , 1 power that comes on with accessories and in the ON position, and a earth ... once you get them connected properly use the fade and ballance on the CD player to help determine what speaker wire is what ... fade it to the front and then all to one side ... then play with the wires untill you get the speaker to work ... also i might add that it really helps if you tune the CD player to a radio station or put a CD in it so it is playing some music when you are testing for the speakers ... and dont forget to give it some volume, anyway after you sort out one side at the front put the ballance to the other side and fix that one up, then fade to the back ad repeat the process, it gets faster the more speakers you work out.

also on the subject of amps to run a sub and speakers off a 4Ch amp do as mentioned above by bridging it and running 2 speakers off one channel and the sub off the other. but you will get mono sound from the speakers if you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by BMSSS View Post
    Installing things, multimeters
    Moog mentioned in one of his posts that there is a video coming up on doing stereo installs

Stereo wiring is very simple. For your typical headunit, you've got Constant 12v, Accessories 12v, Earth, and a pair of wires (+ and -) per speaker. There's a few others that may exist, but they're the essentials. An amp is the same - 12v in, Earth, a signal from the HU (So they're only on when needed) and wires to speakers.

I wish you guys could see the stereo install I did in a friends R34 skyline! Everything looks dead factory, virtually no visible wiring in the engine bay, cabin etc, no tweeters randomly screwed onto door trims, no running everything off 8 gauge wire running around the exhaust manifold and through the door jambs, things are soldered + heatshrinked, it's worked flawlessly from the day we finished it off. If I may say so myself, it puts any 'professional' audio install I've seen to shame. A full setup - front splits, rear coax, headunit and sub all driven off 2 amps.

Multimeters are pretty simple to use. They have a lot of functions, but there's really only a couple of things you need to know for automotive use.
    Last edited by Rake; 09-03-2010 at 10:39 PM.