Thread: Short ram, Cold air induction? :S... Whats the difference?

+50kw

Default Short ram, Cold air induction? :S... Whats the difference?

I'm Looking at installing a new Intake on my 98' subaru forester and i'v been doing some research and have gotten a little confused, What is the difference between cold air induction and ram air induction and does the "cold" part of the CAI actually mean that the air is cooled before it goes to the intake manifold or is it just coming from an area outside of the engine bay that is "cold?". Any help would be appreciated.

I know one thing, or well I have been told this and reckon some will disagree.

You shouldn't have a poddy open in your engine bay because it is bringing hot air in to the engine instead of cold air.

SRI= short ram intake: a very small amount of piping is used between your air filter and the intake manifold. aka the actual intake where it draws air in is very close to the engine, a couple inches away.
    Results: Most kits come with a heat shield as you don't want to draw in warm air from the engine.
    Produces a deeper, more noticable exhaust tone.
    Debate: Some people will say that it makes your car's performance much better because there is less space for the air to flow to engine but most people say because its too close to the engine that it reduces it because of all the hot air it is drawing in.
    Conclusion: Most of the time it won't affect your performance at all and can make your engine unhealthy but there are cases where cars perform better with a SRI. It's also good to note that not all cars can support a CAI since there is simply no room for it!

CAI= Cold air intake: A elongated shaped pipe is connected to you intake manifold to your air filter which usually sits inside your bumper or very low in the engine bay near the ground, collecting colder air.
    Results: Better performance (cold air produces a larger explosion)
    Potential to harm your engine (if your an absolute idiot) since the air intake is very low to the ground you can get water into your intake manifold (aka flooding) which can leave some serious damage. Solutions if your paranoid are a hydro shield or HKS racing suction kit(never used it but apparently it can help...)
    Debate: None really
    Conclusion: Better performance from your car since it's easier to breathe.
    Last edited by jmacman12; 12-12-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmacman12 View Post
    SRI= short ram intake: a very small amount of piping is used between your air filter and the intake manifold. aka the actual intake where it draws air in is very close to the engine, a couple inches away.
    Results: Most kits come with a heat shield as you don't want to draw in warm air from the engine.
    Produces a deeper, more noticable exhaust tone.
    Debate: Some people will say that it makes your car's performance much better because there is less space for the air to flow to engine but most people say because its too close to the engine that it reduces it because of all the hot air it is drawing in.
    Conclusion: Most of the time it won't affect your performance at and can much your engine unhealthy but there are cases where cars perform better with a SRI. It's also good to note that not all cars can support a CAI since there is simply no room for it!

CAI= Cold air intake: A elongated shaped pipe is connected to you intake manifold to your air filter which usually sits inside your bumper or very low in the engine bay near the ground, collecting colder air.
    Results: Better performance (cold air produces a larger explosion)
    Potential to harm your engine (if your an absolute idiot) since the air intake is very low to the ground you can get water into your intake manifold (aka flooding) which can leave some serious damage. Solutions if your paranoid are a hydro shield or HKS racing suction kit(never used it but apparently it can help...)
    Debate: None really
    Conclusion: Better performance from your car since it's easier to breathe.
    You're right with this.

I've had both on my cars both were Fujitta imported from the states. A Short ram on my Honda jazz and a CAI on my older nissan maxima. Both gave ok gains. The short ram on the jazz gave alot of high end go and a awesome Vtec growl. the problem with it was when you took off from an intersection it was sluggy because of the heat soak from the engine. The CAI on the maxima was good, it had good power gains a brilliant sound when you put your foot down and game a good overall experience. there was however lag on take off, not from heat soak as the intake was very close to the ground, but the length of the pipe was the problem. also the problem with where i live is in winter/spring we get alot of floods. going through water with my cold air and getting water in the intake was something i didnt want to risk, so the car was only a dry weather car.

In my experience pod filters are a waste of time unless you've got your car on the race track everyday. I would suggest however to get a high flow panel filter. the K&N filters are excellent. they are high flowing meaning they improve performance and also assist in fuel economy. Ive got one in my new maxima and i get 2l/100 extra so instead of 11-12 i get 9-10. also if your pretty handy you can get your standard box and cut out the baffles in there. This makes a more direct path for air flow. cold air feeds to the box also help.

+50kw

+50kw

ok so i put some photo's up on an album of my car with the airbox and stock intake plastic removed and in place, there is tons of weird stuff on between the hole in the side of the engine bay and the filter box but i guess that is for dust to fall into or something? i was thinking that if i was to run some stainless the size of my intake manifold from the manifold around and down to the front right of my engine bay where the hole in the engine bay is. Then fit a Drift or K&N pod with the tip up against the hole, then i could build an sheild around it from the original filter box black plastic so that it would only suck the air from the inside of the wheel arch as it does now?

Default short ram intake and cold air induction difference..

Short ram intake - stays near the engine.It has a very short pipes.

Cold air intake - goes down under your battery where the air is coldest away from engine heat. have often tucked in between fenders or have special box that only allow cold OUTSIDE air to enter the engine.

If your air filter is anywhere under the hood without physical separation them you just have short air intake.But that is not a bad thing. COLD air intake are only really meant for the tracks. If you were to hit a puddle you can take in a gulp of water and freeze up you engine real bad.Even if you were to install a COLD air system, but don't install a divider to keep the hot engine heated air out of the air filter, then you made that into a "short" air intake.===In many test, it was found that many COLD air intakes were not all that much better because often the extra restrictions of the air box. So if you were NOT able to snake the cold air intake down low - near the bottom of the car, away from the engine heat, then it isn't a real COLD air intake.

Vtec 9000 Rpm Shift +100kw DC2R's Avatar

You want either your pod filter or your Ram pipe at the front bumper's grill about 300 mm high. As the black road attract's heat.
    LOWER IS NOT BETTER. Road get hot and acts like a hot plate. And you may suck in water puddles.
    You want air flow from the front... NOT below.... AND NOT BEHIND YOUR RADIATOR..
    You will want a pod filter. i Uses K&n.. More Cross sectional area on filter the better"less resistance".. Meaning deeper grill's
    Have no where near engine unless inclosed in box and you have a ram pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calipers Painted +25kw

In my experience pod filters are a waste of time unless you've got your car on the race track everyday
    What is the difference between a pod filter and a CAI? I thought they were the same?

another thought, to optimize open pod filter, is it a myth to have vented hood so that to keep the filter from taking overheated air? from malaysia yo, this website rocks~