Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: First car - '91 Mercedes 190E (W201)

  1. #11
    Calipers Primed
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy484 View Post


    Nice 190 mate
    Thanks mate!

    That video was hilarious hahaha.

  2. #12
    Frangipani Hbriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wollongong, NSW
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Great choice for a first car, love 190s (and W124s for that matter). Can't kill them.

    Needs a Cossie bodykit for maximum '80s executive poweeeeeeerrr... just ignore that it's a 1.8 haha.



    Businesstastic!

  3. #13
    Calipers Primed
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hbriz View Post
    Great choice for a first car, love 190s (and W124s for that matter). Can't kill them.

    Needs a Cossie bodykit for maximum '80s executive poweeeeeeerrr... just ignore that it's a 1.8 haha.

    [IMG]http://i.wp.pl/a/f/jpeg/25985/mec4.jpeg[IMG]

    Businesstastic!
    Hahah thanks man. Can't kill a Merc .

    As for mods like that... I don't have sufficient funds lol.

    I did however come across an annoying issue - the front right (dash) speaker turns on/off randomly whilst driving, sometimes caused by driving on rough/bumpy road. Giving a slap often seems to fix it (before it goes out again). I opened the speaker grill but can't seem to reproduce the problem. Put the grill back, worked fine for a bit then it began again. Argh.
    Last edited by MKD; 23-07-2012 at 09:10 PM.

  4. #14
    MCM Forum Addict Ren-dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Townsville, QLD
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Sweet first car man, Now when the *****es ask what you drive you can respond with "Merc".

    That video was awesome xD
    Regards - Samantha XOXO
    2001 VX Commodore

    Quote Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss View Post
    modded auto's are the tits. but i still love playing with my stick.

  5. #15
    Calipers Primed
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren-dog View Post
    Sweet first car man, Now when the *****es ask what you drive you can respond with "Merc".

    That video was awesome xD
    Hahah yep!

    Ever since my dad got his Merc, I fell in love with it and told myself that when I get a car for myself, its gonna be a Merc... and here it is hahah

  6. #16
    Calipers Primed
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Okay, first 'major' thing I wanna take care of is give the fuel system a good allround service.

    Being old as hell, I suspect the fuel system isnt in its best shape.

    Not really liking its efficiency right now.

    I filled up 33L of 91 unleaded when tank was just before empty and reset the milage counter.

    The fuel light is gonna go on any minute now, and its only done 155km (city driving).

    Lets say its used 30L so far, that brings down the fuel economy to:

    19.35L/100km or 12.1mpg (US Gallon) which is terrible, especially for a 1.8 engine - pretty much double the consumption it should be going at.

    I began researching on the issue, and many with similar issues seem to be having slow acceleration, and now that I think about it, the acceleration is really sluggish.

    Research suggested its a fuel issue possibly caused by: Air Flow Meter (AMF), Electro-Hydraulic Actuator (EHA), Oxygen Sensor, Fuel Injectors, etc...

    Some info that may be relevant:

    -Starts first time every time without a problem (even cold).
    -Rough idle/Engine vibrations, sometimes more than others (engine mounts are probably worn though).
    -Clean exhaust, minimal carbon deposits.
    -Sometimes has rich fuel smell, most noticeable after opening engine bay.
    -Pressure "pop" when I open fuel cap.

    Suggestions?

  7. #17
    Hands Dirty +100kw AlxG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Who needs a tacho when ya got an awesome clock like that

    Fck yeah !

  8. #18
    Deutsch Fahrzeuge Mcmerc01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MKD View Post
    Okay, first 'major' thing I wanna take care of is give the fuel system a good allround service.

    Being old as hell, I suspect the fuel system isnt in its best shape.

    Not really liking its efficiency right now.

    I filled up 33L of 91 unleaded when tank was just before empty and reset the milage counter.

    The fuel light is gonna go on any minute now, and its only done 155km (city driving).

    Lets say its used 30L so far, that brings down the fuel economy to:

    19.35L/100km or 12.1mpg (US Gallon) which is terrible, especially for a 1.8 engine - pretty much double the consumption it should be going at.

    I began researching on the issue, and many with similar issues seem to be having slow acceleration, and now that I think about it, the acceleration is really sluggish.

    Research suggested its a fuel issue possibly caused by: Air Flow Meter (AMF), Electro-Hydraulic Actuator (EHA), Oxygen Sensor, Fuel Injectors, etc...

    Some info that may be relevant:

    -Starts first time every time without a problem (even cold).
    -Rough idle/Engine vibrations, sometimes more than others (engine mounts are probably worn though).
    -Clean exhaust, minimal carbon deposits.
    -Sometimes has rich fuel smell, most noticeable after opening engine bay.
    -Pressure "pop" when I open fuel cap.

    Suggestions?
    Start of with an entire bottle of injector cleaner. The injectors will be dirty. MAF (mass air flow sensor) will probably need attention too. While you're at it, check the air filters, and clean the sensor with the specialised sensor cleaner products (its very delicate to clean)

    The rich fuel smell seems like it'd be running a little rich, as is the tendency for 'rough idle'. I will also point out that you take a look at the condition of the spark plugs, and spark plug leads.

    Essentially, I'd take on those things there, it isn't too expensive, and while you are at it give the car a service unless you haven't already (radiator, engine oil, filters, and check the gearbox oil.

    Do all of these, they are quite manageable on these cars and won't be too expensive. You shouldn't experience problems after that. If the mounts are worn, I'd replace those too, if you can't do it properly get a good mercedes mechanic to do it (not just anyone). It'll help with the response, acceleration and overall driveability of the car, as well as fuel consumption even.

    And in the future, I'd use injector cleaner every 3,000k's.

    Hope that helps.


    As JDM as Sauerkraut



    1994 Audi 80 V5 Quattro
    1997 Audi A4 1.8
    1994 Mercedes-Benz C180
    1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE
    1994 Mercedes-Benz C220
    1992 Mercedes-Benz 400SEL
    1994 Mercedes-Benz S420
    1997 BMW 525i
    1982 Mercedes-Benz 280E
    1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
    1991 Mercedes-Benz 300TE
    2008 Mercedes-Benz C220 CDI Avantgarde




  9. #19
    Calipers Primed
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcmerc01 View Post
    Start of with an entire bottle of injector cleaner. The injectors will be dirty. MAF (mass air flow sensor) will probably need attention too. While you're at it, check the air filters, and clean the sensor with the specialised sensor cleaner products (its very delicate to clean)

    The rich fuel smell seems like it'd be running a little rich, as is the tendency for 'rough idle'. I will also point out that you take a look at the condition of the spark plugs, and spark plug leads.

    Essentially, I'd take on those things there, it isn't too expensive, and while you are at it give the car a service unless you haven't already (radiator, engine oil, filters, and check the gearbox oil.

    Do all of these, they are quite manageable on these cars and won't be too expensive. You shouldn't experience problems after that. If the mounts are worn, I'd replace those too, if you can't do it properly get a good mercedes mechanic to do it (not just anyone). It'll help with the response, acceleration and overall driveability of the car, as well as fuel consumption even.

    And in the future, I'd use injector cleaner every 3,000k's.

    Hope that helps.
    I'll look into all of those soon (when I have a bit more time on my hands), but just earlier today I took a look around and did this:

    Took off the air filter box and took a look underneath, this is what i found

    Photo Album - Imgur (gallery)

    I first noticed the breather hose was quite loose, and after pulling it out, it noticed that most of its circumference had been broken off, but it appears that it has been intentionally cut out...(no idea why).

    And I noticed that the engine and surrounding components are quite oily, you can see in the images along the line of the engine cover theres a deposit of oil

    The fuel distributor, EHA, ICV, etc all seem to have oily residues.

    After playing around with the breather hose it cracked (added it to my list of new things to buy), but in the meantime i put a bit of strong super-glue adhesive that seems to hold it well (for now).

    I put one of those worm drive rings ( http://www.gd-wholesale.com/userimg/...clamps-682.jpg ) around the broken end of the breather hose, seems to be held tighter now.

    After I started it up, noticed white smoke come out of the exhaust when revved higher, but after a spin around the block, the smoke stopped, just clear exhaust afterwards.

    Idunno what else to do right now, those are my observations, thoughts?
    Last edited by MKD; 25-07-2012 at 08:58 PM.

  10. #20
    Calipers Primed
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41

    Default

    UPDATE

    jacked up the car earlier and found the damn O2 sensor. I dont have a multimeter to check whether its giving an acceptable voltage range, but I did try and unscrew it to check if it was burnt out... no luck.

    Drowned the thing in WD-40 and didnt wanna budge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •