Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Whiteline QuadLock http://www.quadlockcase.com.au

How to turbo a carbureted car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gettinill565
    Frangipani
    • Aug 2012

How to turbo a carbureted car

Iv got a fiat 128 2 door wagon im restoring, its gonna be one of the very few in the world
    its gonna be real madd. I was thinking about putin a turbo in but not sure what that would all entail.
    I think that would make for a great show.

any input would be great
    fiatpower
  • ShowUsYourTints
    TRDLZR
    • May 2011

Hi mate,

You will need a carby suitable for either a Blow Thru, or Suck Thru setup.

Basically, the turbo will blow air through the carby, as per a normal setup with a throttle body. The carby will need to be jetted according to the flow rate of the compressor. Tricky stuff to get right.

The Draw-Thru through setup sits the carby in front of the turbo. The turbo inlet sucks an air/fuel mixture through the carby, and then compresses it.

Cheers,
    Shazza
    Differential Studios - Click here for awesome videos and stuff.

Comment

• Beelzeboss
      TRDLZR
      • Mar 2011

The first thing I'd do is convert to fuel injection.
      1993 MX-5 - 2.5L V6 swap in progress

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ew-s-1993-MX-5

Comment

• walperstyle
        Hands Dirty +100kw
        • Feb 2012

If you want to do it right, you should be able to read AFR and EGT's.

Comment

• Stazza_Brendan
          TRDLZR
          • Dec 2011

The easier of the 2 setups listed above is suck-through setup.
          Youll need a Turbo with a carbon seal though as you cant just throw a carby on the front of the turbo and expect it to survive with fuel running through it.

There are side draft carbys perfect for this application. Youll also need a better fuel pump, cannot run an intercooler although you can run a water/methanol mix to cool the intake charge. Youll also have to find someone who has experience tuning these setups. carby-turbo tuning is a bit of an art.
          2012 Honda CB400 ABS. VTEC YO
          1994 Honda RVF400
          12 Hyundai IX35. Me and GF daily

Comment

• F@BOY
            Banned
            • Oct 2011

Yeah op, no offense, but there really is no point investing the money into turbocharging a carbureted engine. The gains you'll see will be minuscule compared to those of an EFI setup, not to mention with EFI you'd probably see better fuel economy as well. Take a look into fuel injecting your car, weigh the price compared to the turbo setup. If you're serious about gaining more hp, then you might as well do it the right way first, and reap the full rewards of all your hard work later.

Comment

• Will66
              Frangipani
              • May 2011

There are easier cars to Turbo and the Fiat 128 formed the basis of the Lada Riva which is miserable communist disgrace of a car.
              British Rotary Tarmac Terrorist since 2007.

Flames (from exhaust) on Request!

Originally posted by Marty
              Eat it with a chopstick!

Comment

• kingtube69
                Big Poster +1000kw
                • Aug 2010

You can normally take a EFI engine from the same/similar model car and swap it all into yours. E.G. Take a EFI engine, ECU, Loom, Exhaust and Fuel system fron an AE92 CSi and put it in an SE - The CSi is normally EFI and the SE is Carby like mine.
                sigpic

Comment

• MARK_XF UTE
                  Frangipani
                  • Sep 2010

theres nothing wrong with going turbo with a carbied car, early dick johnson XE grand prix's had twin SU carbies, very late turbo XE's and a couple of XF's were EFI.
                  Mark
                  italian 100cc kart engine + 20,000 RPM......nuff said

Comment

• Chevell979
                    Frangipani
                    • Sep 2012

Another option would be a Procharger it's belt driven centrifugal supercharger they make for big as well as small motors. They work well for blow thru carberator set ups and you don't have the same heat problems you would have with a turbo... don't let them discharge you a carb is way cheaper for that car than EFI and all you need is a wide band AFI sensor in the exhaust to tune the carb for the procharger or turbo. http://www.procharger.com/SPORT_COMP..._compact.shtml

Comment

• Hankey
                      Frangipani
                      • Aug 2012

In the case of my 64 Rambler, i bought a Predator carburetor (variable jets) and sent it to a guy who knows how to prepare carburetors for blowthrough setups.

I gave it extra thick head gaskets to lower the compression, ported the heads and combustion chamber, had it running about 7.9:1 compression ratio, i had my oil pan cleaned and had an oil return welded, had an extra oilpump added to the block, and had it send oil up to the turbo, and it returned right to the pan. I inverted the stock exhaust manifolds and set them to face forward. I CnC milled a custom "Rambler-turbo" exhaust flange, and ran two of these on each side, they joined in the middle where my fan would be (i was running electric fans), and had it bend around to a front-mount, then a Y-pipe with a BOV. then bend up into the Predator carb. i still need to fix some oiling issues before i can run it, but it's running a consistent 17 PSI in an old carbureted V8.

I would NOT reccomend turboing any engine unless you KNOW that it can handle the boost, i only did it because i knew that my block was extra thick, that i had a forged steel crank, and polished rods. i have $3500 into this motor. DO NOT TURBO A MOTOR UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!
                      Originally posted by MOOG
                      Super Weasel Piss - sounds like its worth trying!
                      Originally posted by brian_rs/ss
                      what is the US version of a cressida?

Comment

Working...
                      X