Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why does my car crank so much to start

Frangipani

Default why does my car crank so much to start

Hi,i would like to say that my car in the morning at 6:00 at morning when I go to work starting up the car it starts then crnks a lot then when the car gets gas pumped into the engine it starts up i do not know what to do for the car it has a check engine light what can i do to the car its a 1993 acura vigor before last year it would not happen it would start up right away when the crankshaft broke in the old engine we had no choice but to get a new engine on the car new engine $700 usd and $1200 for installition i paid 2000$ for the car used 800$ for new a/c 134a another 200$ for a tune up another 300$ for my coolant and condensor fans to be fixed another 250$ for my radiator to be changed 40$ for a new glove box 20$ for an ash tray 20$ for a grille and still with these repairs the car cranks like crazy in order to start i need help for the car and im not going to get rid of the car Why? because it is a 5 cylinder and rare in the united states.i am in car trouble and i need help thank you.

I'll be honest, that was tough to read. Putting everything in a single sentence makes it hard for everyone else to make sense of your post. Just a friendly pointer

But OK, does it still take a long time to crank over once the engine is hot (ie, if you've gone for a drive, then switched the engine off and tried to start it again) or does it start up straight away?

Does it run rough after you start it at 6 in the morning? Or does it run fine after it's started?

When did it start doing this? Has it been like this since you got the new engine?
    Last edited by Jenga; 12-08-2012 at 08:40 AM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wondering what happened to the Mighty Mira? Check out the (mostly completed) build Here

Next up: Project Vevo - The Van Evo
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the car starts, does it stutter/splutter unless you have your foot on the accelerator? It could be a problem with your fuel pump.

Alternatively, it could be an issue with compression. You should take it to a mechanic and get them to connect an in-line pressure gauge to the fuel line to check the pressure the fuel is being pumped through at. If that's not it then get the compression of the engine checked. Both are pretty simple to do and shouldn't cost a lot or take long.

I'd be leaning toward a fuel pump issue though. If you need to put your foot down to get the engine started then then not enough fuel is getting through. If it was working fine you'd probably flood the engine every time.

It could also be something as simple as a dirty fuel filter or a clogged air filter. Check both of those too. Before throwing money at it, look at the basics

Calipers Primed

I didn't read the original post 'cosit got borin'. But if you have a check engine light get that investigated first.

Banned
    Mid Missouri Occupation: Certified Skid Ripper Car: 89' Mercedes 300E V8 Turbo Account Type: GOLD

Something is clogged up in the fuel system, maybe the pump, maybe the filter, maybe a line, maybe the regulator, maybe the rail.

But I want more attention. Skilltrain's Avatar

Your car is old, 6am in the morning if you're from aus it's cold right now, even my car sometimes takes a bit longer to crank on a cold morning and then almost stalls itself but is then fine.

But if it's more serious than that could be any one of the problems already mentioned so might be worth getting someone to look at it.
    Derp.

takes me 10-15 minutes to get my car running in winter.

Good thing I'm a patient man.

Battery on its way out??
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 35mm
    Tokina 11-16mm
    Nikon 55-300mm
    Tamron 70-300mm

I'll bet it's the fuel pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePossum View Post
    Its always made me feel uneasy, like I'm about to get bent over a pool table and take an exhaust, in my exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    make it low with some stance
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I miss him, now we can only comment on each others facebook statuses saying each other are gay
    Moist.