Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many amps for 2 subs?

Default How many amps for 2 subs?

I'm looking to get 2 Rockford Fosgate R2D2-12 subs. They run at 500 watts max and 250 watts RMS. I know that there not that good but its what I can afford. I was just wondering how many amps I would need for these 2 subs and what brands and models people would recommend.
    Heres the link
    http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

If your wanting to go for a dual sub set up. Its easiest to go for a Single amp to run the both of them. If your subs are rated to 500w each, then you can run a 100w amp for them, but it won't hurt them if you run an amp with less power. I would suggest to go for a 800w or so, you then have some head room. The less power the amp can put out the less they will be boomy. Having 2 subs is a lot They won't be punchy but more of a boomy sound. But you will have a lot more power in the if you really like bassy music. and if you have a sedan you will need this.

I can't really comment on many brands as every single one of my systems I've built have been using Pioneers gear. I currently have their new amps in my car and to me they work fine, but i also don't like to miss match my equipment. I've also spend a considerable of money with them one of my systems had 5,000w rms, 3000w of that was in 1 sub , so i know their gear is excellent and up for a good challenge.

You will also have to take into account that you will need a head unit with RCA pre outs. plus you will need to get some RCAs. I would suggest to also upgrade your speakers and put an amp on them too. First thing i always do. Amp up your speakers then add a sub to it. Other wise your whole system will be bass and nothing else. although i would say you should have already thought of that if you're wanting to put a sub in your car

Hope that sort of helps

Just run 1 amp, running two will cost you more money coz you have to buy ANOTHER amp, and more wires.

My advice is dont buy a 4 channel and bridge it, or a 2 channel amp, you wont get the power and frequencys you want.

What you need is a Monoblock that is 2Ohm stable, (most monoblocks are, but just ask to make sure)

This way you run both subs off ONE channel at 2Ohm impedence, it will increase the load and you can draw more 'boom' from your subs.
    More power = More Bass.

This also means that you could buy a slightly lower powered amp than you would if you bought a 2channel/4channel amp but still get lots of power out of it.

it's the TRD laser
    it'll amaze ya

i run 2 10" subs off a 300w 2 channel amp they can go loud enough to make my house shake when i was fiddling in the driveway

Yeah i second this. I right now have 2 12 Xplodes, a Pioneer and Fusion AMP ( dont know what they are ), and a Pioneer deck. I wanna upgrade everything, Like run 2 Pioneer 12's off a single Pioneer AMP and a Touchscreen Pioneer deck. So any help in what direction or brand i should go, please point .

just a personal preference, but i prefer to run two subs off a mono block with the subs linked in series. so if its a 2ch, bridge the channels, run to one sub the link that output to the next sub. in theory, higher the impedance the higher the SQ, lower the impedance the higher the SPL. so theoretically if you're running lower powered subs it would be best to run the monoblock in series with a sealed & divided box.

Banned

The only correct answer is in fact 3, or 5. This entirely depends on your point of view.

You can either run a single or double, a single is cheaper and easier though and easier to place and run wires to. You're best off with a 500Watt RMS amp. NEVER go by what the peak power is, only ever go by what the RMS is or you'll blow your sub. 500Watt is peak power usage, where as 250Watt is the rated power usage. 99% of the time when you buy an amp the power output advertised should be RMS, if it's not it's almost like false advertising. If you're running 2 x 250Watt RMS Subs, you need a 500Watt Monoblock amp. Any more power than that and you'll almost certainly void your warranty and can easily blow the subs.

With most Monoblocks they come with the capacity to connect 2 subs, so you shouldn't have to connect more than one cable per terminal on the sub. The way Monoblocks work when they have 2 connectors and 2 subs connected is that the total power is divided by the number of speakers you have, so a 500Watt with 2 x 250Watt subs connected will give each sub 250Watts.

Again, I can't stress enough, more than 500Watts RMS for your setup is completely pointless, anyone trying to sell you on more than that doesn't know what they're talking about. Here's a link to a really good quality 500Watt RMS amp. You pay for the quality, but just take a look at some of the diagrams and read through the instruction manual. If you have any doubts it should clear everything up for you.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=439
    Last edited by pau13z; 28-02-2011 at 04:06 PM.

it's the TRD laser
    it'll amaze ya

ive heard only good things about JL

the funny thing is RF's arnt as good as there talked up to be... i found they lacked precision when loud and a bit over priced.

if your on a budget for subs & amps id check our jay car there gear is really well priced and there subs hit pretty hard (if boxed correctly)

i wouldnt bother with 2 12" if it means sacrificing quality, better off buying 1 sub & decent amp & spending the same as you would on a pair.

brands to look at when buying subs & amps.

Jaycar - The best budget gear you will find in amplifiers
    - There subs hit pretty hard for there price

Boston Acoustics - pro series & comp series subs some of the best ive heard.
    - Z Ref Series are Phenomenal

Audison - The best amps on the face of the earth but they are $$$$$$$

Crossfire - There stuff is much like Kicker and MTX it's all American, it's all loud and big and can handle a flogging but delivers a more loud sound over precision.

MTX - See Above

Kicker - See Above

Focal - The infamous speaker creators are known for top quality component sets and are a good price for performance. There Utopia series are superb but about $1700 a set.

Rockford Fosgate - Much like MTX and other American places. Loud and good but lack precision in the search for volume.

Fusion - Average gear and well priced accordingly. There subs are not too bad. they have some really nasty products in the line up.(The Newer Full Range Series) i prefer there older gear to the newer. very nice HU's

JL Audio - There subs and splits are impressive and well priced.

Orion - Top subs and there amps are quite goodly too.

Cadence - Much like Hertz and only been in the country 6 mths they are making some nice gear and have a budget solution to suit all people. Nice looking gear and a good build quality indeed. Also do a flagship level range that is all very nice gear.

Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood - All make good HU for the price, speakers i find don't last to long if you give them a hammering all the time.... i got 6 months out of a pair of bottom of the line pioneer's once. xplod subs are loud & have some punch but lack precision, kenwood subs are not bad for the price, pioneer they make a decent sub but amps seem to be lacking a bit, i currently have 2 10" pioneer's & they have lasted almost 5 years.
    Last edited by Wallie; 28-02-2011 at 02:13 PM.

The best amps i ever bought were the Pioneer ICE amps. 1200w each and they never got hot, after a long drive they were still cold as. They did cost a bit as they were a direct import from the states. but seriously best amps ever.

Cadence have been in the country way longer than 6 months. I had a friend with a soft top mazda and he had full cadence gera in there. Man that stuff kicked. that was a good 4 years ago now. the only problem with cadence is they don't make a head unit to sell in aus. at least last time i looked they didn't.

If your going for pioneers stuff, go for the higher end. Its so much nicer. I have pioneers top of the range carbon kevlar speakers in my car. Even before a sub they sound amazing. But it cost me a bit of money for my whole set up. but now its done im not regretting it. but if cost is a factor, then go for the step down. their base stuff is ok but won't last the distance if you pump them all the time. and sound quality isn't as good.