Thread: How to Build a DIY Video Camera Slider for Under $10

Default How to Build a DIY Video Camera Slider for Under $10

You've all seen camera sliders with all the bells and whistles, straps, cranks, step motors with gadgets attached to get that oh so perfect shot that you'll end up posting to YouTube in the end.

Well, what do you do if you don't have $300 - $500 to buy one of those nifty gadgets? You make one!

This series of videos will show you how to make your own Video Camera Slider from PVC pipe, a few screws, and some Mighty Modding. MAAAAAAAAAAAAD

In case you can't hear whats I said in this video - the little girl in the shopping cart saw a toilet on display and decided to drop a Deuce. The employees were in the process of cleaning it up when I was going up to pay. I contemplated asking if I could get that display model on discount because I need a new toilet anways but....I didn't.

This is the second part showing my ideas for how to get it started. The tripod head I used was an ordinary $10 tripod that you can find at any store that has a camera aisle. I may make a few revisions along the way, but the basic idea is to show how to make a video camera slider for around $10 or less.

Results may vary. I may make some changes myself.

Please Comment, Rate, Subscribe, Share it with your friends.

If you have one of your own, please post a Video Response. I'd like to see what others have made.

ProjectCarTV

Wow this is nice...
    could probably even mount this in a car with a bit of extra modding...
    Need Computer Help? Ask me

My Car Build Project (Gone)
    Current Car

Quote Originally Posted by MOOG View Post
    I fail at MCM
    Look what I did to MOOG D=

Nice

Would the weight of the slider + camera though be inclined to tip the tripod? Or even if it just flexed/bent/leaned, it could interrupt sliding motion and/or affect the video. Even if it's not that heavy, it's quite large which could have a leverage effect. Looks like it could need some sort of counterweight setup - maybe something on a chain/belt loop that automatically mirrored the camera's movement. You could also maybe rig up a handle to operate the slider's movement rather than doing it by hand for smoother operation as a beneficial side effect

Just thinking out aloud!
    "...And there will come a time where the sins
    of man become too great to be ignored."
    -- Revelations 99:13

+50kw

nice, i shall be trying this

Quote Originally Posted by Rake
    Nice

Would the weight of the slider + camera though be inclined to tip the tripod? Or even if it just flexed/bent/leaned, it could interrupt sliding motion and/or affect the video. Even if it's not that heavy, it's quite large which could have a leverage effect. Looks like it could need some sort of counterweight setup - maybe something on a chain/belt loop that automatically mirrored the camera's movement. You could also maybe rig up a handle to operate the slider's movement rather than doing it by hand for smoother operation as a beneficial side effect

Just thinking out aloud!
    Yup. I'm considering all of those. The tripod I have is VERY CHEAP. One thing that I am considering is not using a tripod, but the stand from a work light. Much sturdier than a $10 tripod. I'm also considering modifying the handle with a DIY steadycam effect. Basically you take a rubber band and attach it to the tripod handle. That way when you move it, it's fluid motion. Even the best tripod head can be ruined by a hand that doesnt move it steady (in increments) but if you use a rubber band - it pulls steadily the entire time. Takes practice but works very well.

Here's an example:

Quote Originally Posted by lildragon555
    Wow this is nice...
    could probably even mount this in a car with a bit of extra modding...
    In a car? For what? You could if you wanted to but I don't see much use in mounting it? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I just don't know what I'd/you'd use it for? Mounting a cam is one thing, but mounting a rack to use a slide cam?

I actually have a Seefari Monopod - that idea gives me an idea to use this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCarTV View Post
    Yup. I'm considering all of those. The tripod I have is VERY CHEAP. One thing that I am considering is not using a tripod, but the stand from a work light. Much sturdier than a $10 tripod. I'm also considering modifying the handle with a DIY steadycam effect. Basically you take a rubber band and attach it to the tripod handle. That way when you move it, it's fluid motion. Even the best tripod head can be ruined by a hand that doesnt move it steady (in increments) but if you use a rubber band - it pulls steadily the entire time. Takes practice but works very well.
    Yep. The disadvantage of course to adding a counterweight system is weight, complexity and cost. I guess you'll have to test it out and see if it needs it. Ideally you'd probably need the weight system to be variable as well, to accommodate the weight difference between varying cameras and accessories.

I reckon old bicycle chains could work well. With my motorbike chain it is sold in a single length that you cut down to the link count you need and then it has a special link you put in and clip together. A motorbike chain and sprockets would work, but probably be too heavy duty for the purpose. Quite a bit of weight and actually take a little strength to flex. A regular bicycle chain + sprockets or maybe even a smaller roller chain from something else would be great - much lighter and with minimal resistance. But I'm not sure if you can buy linkable lengths. Anyway, a loop the length of the slider, camera mount joins on one side of the chain, weight on the other, sprockets at each end. Slider moves one way, weight moves the other. A handle on one of the sprockets to allow operation via the chain rather than by hand, hell if you got super craft maybe you could put a dampener on it somehow to absorb the movement

I guess you could achieve the same effect with other parts/materials other than a roller chain, but I can't think what would have the ease of operation, setup + would work reliably and predictably.

Edit: Another thought though, putting 2 weights on each end, whilst it will prevent tip may flex the slider frame/rails even more. Perhaps you could borrow a page from the car modding book and foam-fill the PVC to stiffen it up! That, or add more bracing. But I fear with all these ideas I'm making your $10 slider cost something more like $50

Rubber band is a clever idea, I've thought of it before but not had a need to try it. I'd guess you'd get best results if you used this trick with the tripod head a little looser, rather than having it a bit tighter to smooth and restrict hand operation. I'd think the quality/construction of the Tripod swivel may play a part as well. That video suggests it too. The before and after is pretty impressive though.
    "...And there will come a time where the sins
    of man become too great to be ignored."
    -- Revelations 99:13

Calipers Primed

hahahh....whats up bruce?... hahahah
    WIN

Funny you mention foam - I've given that thought too. I've also thought about bike chain but the thought corsses my mind - I could just do it by hand and eliminate a lot of work. Overall I like the idea very much. I think I might use another two wood lengths to give it strength in length and then two 10" lengths midway to tie it in. The biggest hurdle so far has been the fact that it's attached to a $10 tripod with a cheap plastic head. Thats one of the real reason I havent even tested it out for test footage yet. I'm kind of a big buy - 5'10" 210 lbs so when I move something, it moves LOL. Thats really my fear is that part woay through follow up I'd snap the plastic tripod. it would be good for laughs at least!

I'd upladte progress as I go. One of the reasons I want to add two length along the side was so it it could be used on the ground instead of a tripod, like this:

There are some very good shots done with sliders here:

Hands Dirty +100kw falkentires55's Avatar

I haven't really been able to test out the one I built, I did attatch my Camera, and my brand new GoPro to it, and the fisheye from the GoPro looked amazing with it. I am going to the Tampa Bay Auto Show this Friday, so i'll be able to test it and use it there. I'll share the video here when it's finished.
    Having trouble Rooting and installing a custom ROM on your Android phone? Ask me for help