Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Whiteline QuadLock http://www.quadlockcase.com.au

Fixing flaking clear coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mxrulez731
    Frangipani
    • Jun 2011

Fixing flaking clear coat

Ive got clear coat flaking off on my drivers door, so i bought some spray on clear coat and as fair as i have been told i should sand with some 800 around where its flaking and get rid of the flaking clear coat and then spray on a couple of layers and it should be all good and dandy.

Does this sound about right, any Tips?
    sigpic
    180sx Drift Car/ 318i E30 Daily
    LMS Productions
  • Marty
    AKA: Martin, Dude, Man.
    • Feb 2010

It can be a bit hit and miss as to how well this will work

What colour is your car?
    Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

• Mxrulez731
      Frangipani
      • Jun 2011

its white 040
      sigpic
      LMS Productions

Comment

• Marty
        AKA: Martin, Dude, Man.
        • Feb 2010

does it definitely have a clear coat? some whites are solid colours
        Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

• ricky_191
          MCM Forum Addict
          • Feb 2011

it never looks the same but white is good .. i would respray the hole door with a one coate touch up paint .. the clear coat is never glossy so do the one coat paint .. i did my door with spray cans and the clear is never glossy so i painted my spoiler with touch up paint where you dont need clear .. it looks so much better :P

there is lots of ways to do it .. do what you think is best .. theres realy no wrong way just diferent results :P

Comment

• Mxrulez731
            Frangipani
            • Jun 2011

Thats the problem area, i believe its clear coat because you can see the difference in the colours and when it flacks off it is fairly clear. The cars paintwork being 25+ years old is fairly faded so its not terribly shiny anymore.

Im painting my test/spare mirror in the stuff now so ill post up a photo of that to see how it fairs
            sigpic
            LMS Productions

Comment

• 4AGZE
              Frangipani
              • Mar 2011

It is clear coat, I picked up my Mum's car this weekend to do a minor service and the roof is doing exactly the same thing, same white code too! (coincidence!?!) fortunately it is the roof so I can just tape up the rest of the car to spray it.
              I heard about the same regarding the 800grit and respraying with clear, but you would have to do the whole door to keep it consistant.
              Im going to give it a shot myself so we can compare notes on how it flairs out!

Comment

• Mxrulez731
                Frangipani
                • Jun 2011

Did 3 coats on my old mirror and i thought it came out quite well minus the very very crap paint that i sprayed it on ( i test everything on this mirror before i do it on the car).

was smooth and quite shiny.

The soups door is seperated top and bottom by a black plastic strip, so i think ill just do above the strip where the issue is.

Is there any tips about removing the clear coat without damaging the paint?
                sigpic
                LMS Productions

Comment

• 4AGZE
                  Frangipani
                  • Mar 2011

You can "scuff" the door twice with 3M red scuff pads and respray only the clear coat. Make sure you scuff especially well around the "lost" clear coat edges. Wash it well with a good dish washing liquid and mask up the door and shoot two 'dusting' clear coats, then one 'wet' coat. It'll look great and you don't have to pay for a full sanding down to the color coat kinda paint job.

Comment

• ricky_191
                    MCM Forum Addict
                    • Feb 2011

i painted the top of my door two .. it was seperated buy a trim pice and it looks ok but not great .. i was a bit upset how it turnd out. the paint was water based.. the same one they used to fix drift damage .. it is ok but not the best .. i did every thing right and its not that glossy .. but white is a good color to practice on .. un like my deep pearl red :/ any way post pics when your done .. hope it works out for you :P

Comment

Working...
                    X