Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Whiteline QuadLock http://www.quadlockcase.com.au

Removing oil from engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hau
    Frangipani
    • Jul 2011

Removing oil from engine bay

Hi everyone, i have a problem as my oil cap came loose and oil spily all over the engine bay. I just want to know whats the best way to clean it without damaging the engine. I asked a friend and he told me to have the engine running and spray degreaser over the engine and then wash it off while someone is hitting the accelerator. Im too scared to do it this way just incase i stuff up the engine so i would like a second opinion. Thankyou in advance
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼┐
    2 4 6R DC5R
  • DC2R
    Vtec 9000 Rpm Shift +100kw
    • Mar 2011

WTF NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Cold engine.. NOT running
    Engine degreaser.. Leave for 10 mins or what can says
    then wash off with normal hose on pressure attachment... NOT A PRESSURE hose!!!!!!
    Mate sure every things closed 1st... Radiator, brake,power steering ect
    Mighty Jdm Dc2R, 128.8kw Atw @ 1065kg - Running 13.875 @ 100.26 mph
    Youtube JDMTEGR
    http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...JDM-Conversion

Comment

• milkchicken
      All Honda NO turbo
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
      WTF NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
      Cold engine.. NOT running
      Engine degreaser.. Leave for 10 mins or what can says
      then wash off with normal hose on pressure attachment... NOT A PRESSURE hose!!!!!!
      Mate sure every things closed 1st... Radiator, brake,power steering ect
      There is nothing wrong with using a pressure washer dc2r.. You just have to make sure you never spray anywhere near electrical stuffs. For 4 years i used pressure washers on engine bays, and i never had a problem with it. The only car i suggest NEVER to get the engine wet is anything made by KIA and some of the older hyundai's. i have seen a couple of people wash the engines in there and they never ran right again. So if in doubt don't clean it.

Basically though, Cool or cold engine. I can be run but not for a long period where the engine will heat up. Spay the degreaser over the engine but avoid getting the electrics wet, wait for it to penetrate the oil or human slime/engine slime then use a hose or high pressure washer to wash off the degreaser and oil. If you do use a higher pressure washer DO NOT spray it close at the engine. always keep a good distance away from the engine. And also don't spray directly at electrics. If you have a car with a distributor and worry about it getting water in there, get a plastic bag and cover it up and hold the bag in place with tape, don't spray the bag as you could still get water in there but like before just spray everything carefully. Once you've cleaned it make sure the car starts. and if it does go for a drive or leave the car in the sun for around 15min to get rid of the bulk of the water.

The other alternative is to use a bucket and degreaser. All you really need to do is get a rag or a old bush wet with water and degreaser and then scrub down the engine. Again keeping clear of electrics. once you've done that get a clean rag and water and wipe off all the degreaser. you may need to empty water over the engine but avoid it if your worried about anything getting damaged.
      Jay
      GTAusMotive

2008 Honda Civic Type R, Honda Accord Euro CL9
      1991 Honda Civic Gli, 1977 Honda Civic 2 Speed Hondamatic Auto, Mini-Me Ed Civic

Comment

• Mark
        Frangipani
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Hau View Post
        Hi everyone, i have a problem as my oil cap came loose and oil spily all over the engine bay. I just want to know whats the best way to clean it without damaging the engine. I asked a friend and he told me to have the engine running and spray degreaser over the engine and then wash it off while someone is hitting the accelerator. Im too scared to do it this way just incase i stuff up the engine so i would like a second opinion. Thankyou in advance
        scratches head...

but yeah what dc2r said will help. Old toothbrush with methylated spirits on the metal bits such as the block will also remove them if they are being stubborn.

Comment

• therin
          Frangipani
          • Jul 2011

Here is a pretty decent DIY I have used before.
          I have abetter one bookmarked but cant find it in the monumental amount of bookmarks I have for car stuff!

hope this helps.

Comment

• DC2R
            Vtec 9000 Rpm Shift +100kw
            • Mar 2011

I would never use a pressure hose on any thing with paint... a mate he did what you said.. From then he always been getting water in his lights.. Under the hood i hose every thing.. And never had a problem.. Unless you have a siren or open pod.. Ever thing done by the manufacture should be water proof as what happens when driving in heavy heavy rain!!!!!!
            Mighty Jdm Dc2R, 128.8kw Atw @ 1065kg - Running 13.875 @ 100.26 mph
            Youtube JDMTEGR
            http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...JDM-Conversion

Comment

• WildZero
              TRDLZR
              • Aug 2010

I spray degreaser, scrub tricky spots with a scrubber brush then hose off with karcher pressure washer. Have always done it on an mildly warm engine without issue. I've only ever accidently sprayed and ignitor module once causing ignition breakdown. But once dried out it was fine.
              Originally posted by Ron
              ARE YOU ALLOW TO PUT NEON LIGHT IN SIDE THE CAR LIKE BRIAN SKYLINE IN 2 FAST 2 furious

Originally posted by MOOG
              Metal owns all others and that is all!

Daily - 1991 Corolla SX
              Project - 1988 N13 Pulsar SVD 18LE Turbo

Comment

• Hau
                Frangipani
                • Jul 2011

Oh okay. Thankyou guys for all your help. The car is pretty stock so there shouldnt be any problem as i will be washing it when its turned off. I will do it when it stops raining on the weekend in sydney.
                1 3 5
                ├┼┼┐
                2 4 6R DC5R

Comment

• nut
                  TRDLZR
                  • Aug 2011

if the engine is warm just wash it down whilst its running, no biggie
                  \__________________/
                  (O[]O)\_______/(O[]O)

aaaaaaaaa S K Y L I N E

Comment

• TSG
                    Frangipani
                    • Apr 2011

I don't like to spray any pressure hose in my engine bay... there is way too many rubber pipes electronics for my liking.

I do it once every now and then, and hand clean it as best possible. I used degreaser on my civic before selling and it came up like new.
                    Bi-Winning

Comment

Working...
                    X