Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P Platers now allowed to drive Turbo and supercharged vehicles in QLD.

Default P Platers now allowed to drive Turbo and supercharged vehicles in QLD.

After 5 years of incompetence the Queensland government has finally seen the light and made some more exceptions to its overly strict P Plate laws, you may now be eligible to drive Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles under the following conditions

You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the vehicle you wish to drive meets all of the following:

• has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
    • has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 125kW/t
    • does not have any other features of a high-powered vehicle as outlined above.
    The power-to-weight ratio means the ratio (expressed in kilowatts per tonne) calculated by dividing the car’s maximum engine power in kilowatts by the kerb weight and multiplying the product of the division by 1000. For example, the power to weight ratio of a vehicle that has a maximum engine power of 195kW and a kerb weight of 1667kg would be calculated as follows: (195÷1667) × 1000 = 117kW/tonne

This means that many cars such as supercharged or turbocharged Mercedes, Audi’s and Volvo’s with great 4 and 5 star Ancap ratings are now available to P Plate drivers.

sauce: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...-vehicles.aspx

Banned

Good news for Queenslander's then. I wish down here in Melbourne the rules were like that, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

When will the government just realise that better teaching will help keep our roads safer?

Yes but that involves them spending MONEY, and we all know how much they like that.

In other news, move to Tassie - you can drive anything on your P's here, from old clunky TRDLZR's to Twin Turbo Gallardo's if you have the cash.

LOL, So by my maths and wikipedia specs
    R32 GTST, Makes 158kw standard and has curb weight of 1280kg (both figures from wiki)
    158 divide 1280 = 0.1234375
    0.1234375 x 1000 = 123.4375kW/Tonne
    2012 Honda CB400 ABS. VTEC YO
    1994 Honda RVF400
    12 Hyundai IX35. Me and GF daily

Quote Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan View Post
    LOL, So by my maths and wikipedia specs
    R32 GTST, Makes 158kw standard and has curb weight of 1280kg (both figures from wiki)
    158 divide 1280 = 0.1234375
    0.1234375 x 1000 = 123.4375kW/Tonne
    correct, and due to the age of your 32, you would have lost a few kw/ponies over the years so it would be lower.(without mods of course)

Veni, Vidi, Cecidi OPTIMUS PRIME's Avatar

****ING YES! first car is now going to be turbo, win!
    http://forums.mightycarmods.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2970&dateline=1332064  857
    Quote Originally Posted by MOOG View Post
    RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrulinski View Post
    mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Are the exemptions per-vehicle or, if you have an exemption, can you drive any car?

Would driving history be a factor of consideration?

Favourable news though. Go QLD! All the more to love your state for.
    "...And there will come a time where the sins
    of man become too great to be ignored."
    -- Revelations 99:13

Electronical Stig / Moderator mauswerkz's Avatar

Next they need to drop the ridiculous and DANGEROUS speed limits for L's and P's. I never had to do L's or P's due to moving here from overseas, and I thought it was a stupid idea since I found out about it. It's esspecially dangerous to learners on motorcycles. It's hard to make being an inexperienced rider more dangerous than to make it a legal requiremnt to do up to 30kph UNDER the speed limit. Motorcycles are known for being invisble to the majority of motorists as it is. I'm surprised we don't hear about them getting plowed into more often.
    Electronical Stig, now in California!
    2004 Honda Insight Hybrid (3.3L/100km, ~70mpg)

Wait, this is just the regular exemption that every state has...
    http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/FS4478/$file/S4478_ES.pdf

we were always allowed to do this, its not just bam drive a turbo car if it has less than 125kw to a ton, its here fill this out if you are elegible you may drive a turbo car...
    http://forums.mightycarmods.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2970&dateline=1332064  857

Quote Originally Posted by mauswerkz View Post
    Next they need to drop the ridiculous and DANGEROUS speed limits for L's and P's. I never had to do L's or P's due to moving here from overseas, and I thought it was a stupid idea since I found out about it. It's esspecially dangerous to learners on motorcycles. It's hard to make being an inexperienced rider more dangerous than to make it a legal requiremnt to do up to 30kph UNDER the speed limit. Motorcycles are known for being invisble to the majority of motorists as it is. I'm surprised we don't hear about them getting plowed into more often.
    we never had the speed limits for L's and P's in QLD, we were always allowed to go whatever the sign says.