Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Whiteline QuadLock http://www.quadlockcase.com.au

P Platers now allowed to drive Turbo and supercharged vehicles in QLD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TIMM3H
    Frangipani
    • Jun 2011

P Platers now allowed to drive Turbo and supercharged vehicles in QLD.

After 5 years of incompetence the Queensland government has finally seen the light and made some more exceptions to its overly strict P Plate laws, you may now be eligible to drive Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles under the following conditions

You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the vehicle you wish to drive meets all of the following:

• has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
    • has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 125kW/t
    • does not have any other features of a high-powered vehicle as outlined above.
    The power-to-weight ratio means the ratio (expressed in kilowatts per tonne) calculated by dividing the car’s maximum engine power in kilowatts by the kerb weight and multiplying the product of the division by 1000. For example, the power to weight ratio of a vehicle that has a maximum engine power of 195kW and a kerb weight of 1667kg would be calculated as follows: (195÷1667) × 1000 = 117kW/tonne

This means that many cars such as supercharged or turbocharged Mercedes, Audi’s and Volvo’s with great 4 and 5 star Ancap ratings are now available to P Plate drivers.

sauce: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...-vehicles.aspx
    http://justanothermx.comA blog dedicated tothe impracticability that is owning a roadster.
  • MrSheep
    Banned
    • Jan 2012

Good news for Queenslander's then. I wish down here in Melbourne the rules were like that, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

When will the government just realise that better teaching will help keep our roads safer?

Comment

• AusHiede
      Hands Dirty +100kw
      • Feb 2011

Yes but that involves them spending MONEY, and we all know how much they like that.

In other news, move to Tassie - you can drive anything on your P's here, from old clunky TRDLZR's to Twin Turbo Gallardo's if you have the cash.
      Daily Driver - 1998 Saab 900
      Daily Rider - 2011 Yamaha YZF-R125

Comment

• Stazza_Brendan
        TRDLZR
        • Dec 2011

LOL, So by my maths and wikipedia specs
        R32 GTST, Makes 158kw standard and has curb weight of 1280kg (both figures from wiki)
        158 divide 1280 = 0.1234375
        0.1234375 x 1000 = 123.4375kW/Tonne
        2012 Honda CB400 ABS. VTEC YO
        1994 Honda RVF400
        12 Hyundai IX35. Me and GF daily

Comment

• TIMM3H
          Frangipani
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Stazza_Brendan View Post
          LOL, So by my maths and wikipedia specs
          R32 GTST, Makes 158kw standard and has curb weight of 1280kg (both figures from wiki)
          158 divide 1280 = 0.1234375
          0.1234375 x 1000 = 123.4375kW/Tonne
          correct, and due to the age of your 32, you would have lost a few kw/ponies over the years so it would be lower.(without mods of course)
          http://justanothermx.comA blog dedicated tothe impracticability that is owning a roadster.

Comment

• OPTIMUS PRIME
            Veni, Vidi, Cecidi
            • Apr 2011

****ING YES! first car is now going to be turbo, win!
            sigpic
            Originally posted by MOOG
            RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
            Originally posted by TomBrulinski
            mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Comment

• Rake
              Banned
              • Feb 2010

Are the exemptions per-vehicle or, if you have an exemption, can you drive any car?

Would driving history be a factor of consideration?

Favourable news though. Go QLD! All the more to love your state for.

Comment

• mauswerkz
                Electronical Stig / Moderator
                • Feb 2010

Next they need to drop the ridiculous and DANGEROUS speed limits for L's and P's. I never had to do L's or P's due to moving here from overseas, and I thought it was a stupid idea since I found out about it. It's esspecially dangerous to learners on motorcycles. It's hard to make being an inexperienced rider more dangerous than to make it a legal requiremnt to do up to 30kph UNDER the speed limit. Motorcycles are known for being invisble to the majority of motorists as it is. I'm surprised we don't hear about them getting plowed into more often.
                My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
                The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
                My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
                sigpic

Comment

• OPTIMUS PRIME
                  Veni, Vidi, Cecidi
                  • Apr 2011

Wait, this is just the regular exemption that every state has...
                  http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/FS4478/$file/S4478_ES.pdf

we were always allowed to do this, its not just bam drive a turbo car if it has less than 125kw to a ton, its here fill this out if you are elegible you may drive a turbo car...
                  sigpic

Comment

• OPTIMUS PRIME
                    Veni, Vidi, Cecidi
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
                    Next they need to drop the ridiculous and DANGEROUS speed limits for L's and P's. I never had to do L's or P's due to moving here from overseas, and I thought it was a stupid idea since I found out about it. It's esspecially dangerous to learners on motorcycles. It's hard to make being an inexperienced rider more dangerous than to make it a legal requiremnt to do up to 30kph UNDER the speed limit. Motorcycles are known for being invisble to the majority of motorists as it is. I'm surprised we don't hear about them getting plowed into more often.
                    we never had the speed limits for L's and P's in QLD, we were always allowed to go whatever the sign says.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Stazza_Brendan
                      TRDLZR
                      • Dec 2011

Looks like getting the exemption is easy now. I dont think this part was in the exemption rules before.

Eligibility
                      You may be eligible for an exemption to drive a high-powered
                      vehicle if you are able to prove that one of the following
                      circumstances applies to you.
                      1. Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged
                      vehicle
                      You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the car you
                      wish to drive meets all the following:
                       has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not
                      diesel powered
                       has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than
                      125kW/tonne
                       does not have any other features of a high-powered
                      vehicle as defined above.

So straight away if the car is under 125kw per tonne your eligible.
                      2012 Honda CB400 ABS. VTEC YO
                      1994 Honda RVF400
                      12 Hyundai IX35. Me and GF daily

Comment

• Skilltrain
                        But I want more attention.
                        • Oct 2011

Yeah those limits for L's and P's are in NSW only i believe, does anyone actually go by them though..? Besides the L's on the hume with their mummy and daddys?
                        Derp.

Comment

• TIMM3H
                          Frangipani
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Stazza_Brendan View Post
                          Looks like getting the exemption is easy now. I dont think this part was in the exemption rules before.

So straight away if the car is under 125kw per tonne your eligible.
                          Correct, If you have a car that is under 125kw/t you are eligible to drive THAT vehicle.

This is going to confuse the police though. How are they going to enforce this?
                          Before, a police officer would see a front mount inter cooler and the P-Plate, see you later restricted.

Now, its going to be, P-Plater with front mount.
                          Whats the car, what is its stock maximum kw output.
                          What is its stick weight
                          maths (kw/weight x1000).
                          Will do their head in.

For example.
                          A Nissan Skyline R32 GTST produces 123.4 kw from factory.
                          I reflash the ECU, wind up the boost, Im now pushing 135kw.
                          I get pulled over from mister policeman, he suspects my car is over the 125kw/t limit gives me a defect notice.
                          I go back and reflash, wind down my boost so its now under the limit.
                          Run a dyno proof its under 125kw/t, show police, no fine.
                          Go back to and reflash ecu, wind boost up.

Unless they have rolling dyno stations at defect stations there job just got a whole lot harder.
                          Last edited by TIMM3H; 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• mr.vtec
                            Frangipani
                            • Feb 2011

**** yes! Bye bye dc2! Sileighty here i come!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            The VTEC Scream! It Makes Me Cream!

Comment

• Skilltrain
                              But I want more attention.
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by TIMM3H View Post
                              This is going to confuse the police though. How are they going to enforce this?
                              Before, a police officer would see a front mount inter cooler and the P-Plate, see you later restricted.

Now, its going to be, P-Plater with front mount.
                              Whats the car, what is its stock maximum kw output.
                              What is its stick weight
                              maths (kw/weight x1000).
                              Will do their head in.

For example.
                              A Nissan Skyline R32 GTST produces 123.4 kw from factory.
                              I reflash the ECU, wind up the boost, Im now pushing 135kw.
                              I get pulled over from mister policeman, he suspects my car is over the 125kw/t limit gives me a defect notice.
                              I go back and reflash, wind down my boost so its now under the limit.
                              Run a dyno proof its under 125kw/t, show police, no fine.
                              Go back to and reflash ecu, wind boost up.

Unless they have rolling dyno stations at defect stations there job just got a whole lot harder.
                              Do you really want to have to do that any pay for a dyno run each time you get pulled over by the police?
                              Derp.

Comment

Working...
                              X