Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*** New Episode: How to Tint your car ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUDE
    replied
    Originally posted by HONKYTONK View Post
    You still have much to learn young padwan......
    True, true. Any tips on how i should start?

Leave a comment:

• HONKYTONK
    replied
    You still have much to learn young padwan......

Leave a comment:

• DUDE
    replied
    Originally posted by HONKYTONK View Post
    I'll field this question, even though it's an old thread. When you apply the tint, you squeegee all the water / detergeant out from the rear of the film, which allows the tint to seat in position. The reason you can't adjust your windows at all is because this is the time required for the tint to cure so regular operation of the windows can occur.

Source: I used to be a full time window tinter.
    Thank you ! Now i can tint my windows like a pro

Leave a comment:

• HONKYTONK
    replied
    I'll field this question, even though it's an old thread. When you apply the tint, you squeegee all the water / detergeant out from the rear of the film, which allows the tint to seat in position. The reason you can't adjust your windows at all is because this is the time required for the tint to cure so regular operation of the windows can occur.

Source: I used to be a full time window tinter.

Leave a comment:

• DUDE
    replied
    I'm a newbie to tinting and i was wondering why you guys sprayed the glass with the detergent and water AND THEN applied the tint. Don't you have to dry it so that the glue on the tint sticks?

Leave a comment:

• geekfreek95
    replied
    alright I have a truck and i want to do just my fronts the same as my backs so since my window is covered all the way around how do i get the tint under the edges

Leave a comment:

• GAVSTAAH
    replied
    awesome now i wanna attack my work truck

Leave a comment:

• adamhumphrey
    replied
    Just wondering did you guys wet shrink the back window or use a dry shrink method?

Leave a comment:

• Nemesis
    replied
    Originally posted by adamhumphrey View Post
    I have an evo x lancer so the privacy glass has no uv at all?? can anything be fitted to give it uv protection?
    http://toptint.com.au/car-window-tinting.php - the bottom product on that page is clear film that provides UV protection.

BTW fantastic video. Will be doing that to retint my front windows after being defected.
    Last edited by Nemesis; 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• adamhumphrey
    replied
    I have an evo x lancer so the privacy glass has no uv at all?? can anything be fitted to give it uv protection?

Leave a comment:

• ShowUsYourTints
    replied
    Hi,

Absolutely there is my friend.

http://www.wfaanz.org.au/Petition

Cheers,
    Shazza

Leave a comment:

• ndh795
    replied
    Originally posted by ShowUsYourTints View Post
    The 35% VLT darkness regulation is currently being challenged by the WFAANZ (Winfow Film Association of Australia and New Zealand). The argument here, is that Privacy Glass (Found on new model vehicles such as Subaru, Toyota, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Volkswagon, among others) comes from the factory with a VLT reading of around 22% (varies between manufacturers and models) yet offers absolutely no positive qualitys such as UV Protection, and Heat Reduction.

The question being asked is that if manufacturers are allowed to legally supply people with a darker then legal darkness window, then why shouldnt we be able to revise the laws to allow people to fit 20%, which offers an even higher UV, Heat and Glare reduction then 35% film.
    Is there a petition or something of the like that we can sign so that this passes?

Leave a comment:

• ShowUsYourTints
    replied
    Originally posted by MagnaP.I View Post
    Great ep guys!

So happy that someone has lift the lid on how to do proper tinting at home. This information is usually pretty scarce and well guarded. I was going to both use ebay tint and rip my current one off without using a heatgun along with a whole bunch of other methods that would've ensured I would've had the worst possible tint job ever! Thank you for saving me from that!!

I don't mean to be critical as I really love and appreciate the effort, time and money put into an ep - but just wondering why you guys didn't mention the legal element of tinting windows? There are restrictions on the VLT level of tint and also the location of tint. For example - In all states across Australia it is illegal to have tint darker than 35% VLT with some states making exceptions for bus/limo/truck/ute back windows (ones not in the sight of the driver). Yet the wagon was fitted with 20% VLT? Not having a go - it just seems that most mods done on MCM are all about keeping to the law.
    Hi mate,

You raise some great points. I believe there was mention in the vid somewhere of 35% being the darkest legal in NSW at least. Just to set the record straight, in NSW, a film must measure a VLT of at least 35% on any window fitted next to a seatbelt where one could sit. Rear windows and cargo windows are able to be blacked out, same goes for van cargo windows. As you mentioned, limousines and buses and utes and whatnot do have slightly different rules. Any vehicle first registered after 1/8/1994, MUST be fitted with 35%. If a vehicle has had 20% or darker film fitted before the abovementioned date, it is legal unless being replaced

The 35% VLT darkness regulation is currently being challenged by the WFAANZ (Winfow Film Association of Australia and New Zealand). The argument here, is that Privacy Glass (Found on new model vehicles such as Subaru, Toyota, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Volkswagon, among others) comes from the factory with a VLT reading of around 22% (varies between manufacturers and models) yet offers absolutely no positive qualitys such as UV Protection, and Heat Reduction.

The question being asked is that if manufacturers are allowed to legally supply people with a darker then legal darkness window, then why shouldnt we be able to revise the laws to allow people to fit 20%, which offers an even higher UV, Heat and Glare reduction then 35% film.

Hopefully, this will clarify a few bits and pieces about the regulations behind it. I've attached a .PDF directly from the RTA website, which clearly (but somewhat open to interpretation) outlines the legality of window tint.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi03_rev3.pdf

Cheers,
    Shazza

Leave a comment:

• Stevearcade
    replied
    Good video guys. Interesting about using the right (more expensive) tint product. I know people who've advised against DIY tints as they end up rubbish, but I think they all got their tint off eBay. You have to wonder.

And loving the Rode hoodie. Cheeky nod to an Australian microphone company (or a cheeky sponsored endorsement ). They do make nice mics though and with ten year warranties too. I sent them a broken 9 year old NT3 and they sent me it back with a new diaphragm! Legends! That's maaaaad.

Leave a comment:

• MagnaP.I
    replied
    Great ep guys!

So happy that someone has lift the lid on how to do proper tinting at home. This information is usually pretty scarce and well guarded. I was going to both use ebay tint and rip my current one off without using a heatgun along with a whole bunch of other methods that would've ensured I would've had the worst possible tint job ever! Thank you for saving me from that!!

I don't mean to be critical as I really love and appreciate the effort, time and money put into an ep - but just wondering why you guys didn't mention the legal element of tinting windows? There are restrictions on the VLT level of tint and also the location of tint. For example - In all states across Australia it is illegal to have tint darker than 35% VLT with some states making exceptions for bus/limo/truck/ute back windows (ones not in the sight of the driver). Yet the wagon was fitted with 20% VLT? Not having a go - it just seems that most mods done on MCM are all about keeping to the law.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X