Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's he building in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by Rake View Post
    Ahh yes, I recall the iron was a step in it too. So you effectively melt the toner to teh copper bits, and whatever is exposed can be washed away, leaving the covered bits. Or something like that.

Would you drill before or after etching? I figure a drill press would work well for the task.
    Exactly. You drill after the etching. If you drill before, you expose copper to the etchant and risk overetching. Also, after it's etched, the circular copper pads make nice centre-punch-style divots for drilling. Drill bit sizes are 0.6-1.0mm, so a drill press is pretty much required to not break the bit. Unfortunately, I don't have one :-(

Leave a comment:

• Rake
    replied
    Ahh yes, I recall the iron was a step in it too. So you effectively melt the toner to teh copper bits, and whatever is exposed can be washed away, leaving the covered bits. Or something like that.

Would you drill before or after etching? I figure a drill press would work well for the task.

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by Rake View Post
    I remember reading a way of etching your own PCB's by using a laser printer with the fuser removed, and a chemical bath! It'd be interesting to try.
    I use a laser printer to etch my own boards, but I print on glossy paper then transfer the toner to the copper clad board with an iron. The biggest pain about making boards myself is the drilling though. Thankfully I have the tools to work with surface-mount components now, which minimises the drilling required.

Leave a comment:

• Rake
    replied
    I remember reading a way of etching your own PCB's by using a laser printer with the fuser removed, and a chemical bath! It'd be interesting to try.

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
    What I would like to know is how you got your logo on that breadboard!!! What did you use or did you get it custom made?

ps Marty cheated since mods/admins know each other :P
    I use a program called Eagle to do my PCB layout. The board in the photo is one I had manufactured for me, though I have etched my own with the logo on them as well.

Leave a comment:

• jmacman12
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosey View Post
    Maus has teh epic skeelz.

And Marty is just very knowledgeable.
    some say that when he looks at the sun, the sun becomes blind...and we call it a solar eclipse...all we know is he's called Marty!

Leave a comment:

• Rosey
    replied
    Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
    What I would like to know is how you got your logo on that breadboard!!! What did you use or did you get it custom made?

Maus has teh epic skeelz.

And Marty is just very knowledgeable.

Leave a comment:

• jmacman12
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MOOG
    replied
    Originally posted by MausWerkz View Post
    Correct! Yeah, the brain chip wasn't installed when I took the pic. Partly because I still had some soldering to do on the underside, and partly because the green reflection looked cooler than the black plastic chip ;-)
    Holy Crap the nerd level just reached an all time high

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by marty View Post
    speed controller for an electric car

PS: your pic chip is missing from the socket
    Correct! Yeah, the brain chip wasn't installed when I took the pic. Partly because I still had some soldering to do on the underside, and partly because the green reflection looked cooler than the black plastic chip ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Marty
    replied
    speed controller for an electric car

PS: your pic chip is missing from the socket

Leave a comment:

• jmacman12
    replied
    If your building either A) an in car computer for audio/video or such or B) a hydraulics' controller then I am COMING to oz and taking it!!!!!

Although Rosey's idea makes most sense

Leave a comment:

• Rosey
    replied
    RC Car?

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by Faceplant View Post
    (...) computer control unit for engines (ecu). Am i close?
    Closest so far. It will control a motor, but not the kind you're thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanical Stig
    replied
    boost controller?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X