Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's he building in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric vehicles?

i will stick to my rocket ones thanks

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M-hNB6-Tdt...ign+4+pics.jpg

163mph of hybrid rocketness :P

though i have looked into electric cars, just not practical for me though.

Comment

Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
      (...) have you looked into ultra capacitors for your vehicles or are they too pricey? (...)
      I've looked into them, much too pricey to get any amount of useable storage. The capacitor and board in the photo is just for low-scale testing. The actual capacitors for the controller will be a 8460uF bank made up of smaller capacitors. Cheaper to build and higher ripple current capability that way.
      My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
      The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
      My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MausWerkz View Post
        I've looked into them, much too pricey to get any amount of useable storage. The capacitor and board in the photo is just for low-scale testing. The actual capacitors for the controller will be a 8460uF bank made up of smaller capacitors. Cheaper to build and higher ripple current capability that way.

DIY win then I've read a lot about ultra capacitors and their potential for storage but I wasn't sure about pricing but as you clarify its just not worth the money. I guess until the manufacturing costs of them go down or their is a new technology that builds on their platform we won't be able to see considerable advances in ecar traveling distances!

I'd love to see how the results go
        sigpic
        My 2008.5 Mazda Axela GT
        Click here for the MCM Shop
        Have you seen the MCM WIKI page? If not, click here!
        "Limit's, like fears are often an illusion"
        -Michael Jordan

Comment

What did you use to make that Maus?

Comment

i'm not gonna lie, i'm excited.
            Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

cant wait. should be pretty cool. electric awd subie marty?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan. View Post
                What did you use to make that Maus?
                To make what? The board? Bought some copper-clad board, transfered toner to it from a laser-printer print-out, then etched it with a mixture of hydrochloric acid and Hydrogen peroxide. But that's not the fun part ;-)

Originally posted by marty View Post
                i'm not gonna lie, i'm excited.
                You're not the only one!
                My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
                sigpic

Comment

Quick snap from this evening. It's coming together nicely.

The board in the picture is the 'breadboard' and will be used to test aspects of the controller that may need to be modified before a proper PCB is made up. Once I get the hardware (and some of the software) ironed out on this, I'll finalise the version 1.0 design of the actual board and have a few of them made so that I can build the first full-scale prototype.

In the background you can see the fans which are mounted on the small radiator that I'll use to cool the controller as well as the capacitor from the previous update.
                  sigpic

Comment

Can someone explaim to me what's going on here?
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by MOOG
                    RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
                    Originally posted by TomBrulinski
                    mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Comment

Maus is building an electric car in his garage. Umad?

Nah for realz. He is building an electric car from scratch, he has crazy skills.

Comment

WOAH! Thw whole car?
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by MOOG
                        RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
                        Originally posted by TomBrulinski
                        mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Comment

Originally posted by OPTIMUS PRIME View Post
                          WOAH! Thw whole car?
                          He's even forging his own steel for the frame with his bear hands...

Nah just the electrical drivetrain it seems
                          sigpic
                          My 2008.5 Mazda Axela GT
                          Click here for the MCM Shop
                          Have you seen the MCM WIKI page? If not, click here!
                          "Limit's, like fears are often an illusion"
                          -Michael Jordan

Comment

Yeah he bought the white BMW to be used for his experimentation.

Comment

Originally posted by OPTIMUS PRIME View Post
                              Can someone explaim to me what's going on here?
                              As Rosey said, I'm building an electric car. Right now I'm designing and building the motor controller. Eventually it will all go into my E36 BMW coupe. As progress picks up, I'll start a thread in the "Build Threads" section.
                              sigpic

Comment

Finally bringing everything together, even though it looks more spread out than ever on my workbench ;-)

All the important stuff is in one spot though, the main enclosure. Careful when sticking your hand in there, the voltage can be rather high.

In the box you can see the main IGBT module (this one is only rated to 200A, the final version will have three 300A modules). It's mounted on a water-cooled heatsink. A single radiator 120x240mm in size will be all the cooling this car will need!

The important news is that it is working (mostly) as expected! Still having some dramas with the commutation control chip I built it around and am trying to work out how to replace it with something more reliable (and cheaper too). Got a lot of code to look through, and not much documentation. Give me some time though :-)

Time to start shopping for a motor and batteries.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X