Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's he building in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I understood how to make this sort of thing.

Comment

Looks like a WMD to me :P lol

Comment

Only know some basic electronic, but this is an awesome project MausWrekz what are the feature/ spec that you can tell us of the motor controller?
        1992 Mitsubishi magna

It not what you drive, it how you drive it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkington View Post
          Only know some basic electronic, but this is an awesome project MausWrekz what are the feature/ spec that you can tell us of the motor controller?
          The final version of the controller will have:
          450VDC input for about 320VAC output.
          Current limit of 200A (eventually)

When I get some batteries for further testing, I'll limit the output to around 12kW for testing.
          The production version will drive a 240v 2 pole 3-phase induction motor at 88kW peak.
          That same motor will produce over 200Nm torque from zero RPM, all the way up to around 4000rpm.

Still working on sourcing a motor for testing. Will probably end up getting one custom made from China, unless somebody on here knows a good place for 3-phase motor rewinding in Australia.
          My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
          The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
          My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MausWerkz View Post
            Finally bringing everything together, even though it looks more spread out than ever on my workbench ;-)
            i fail to see a large stockade of energy drinks. i dont think your putting in enough effort here mate.

im only kidding, i know basic electronics, and...i understand shit all as to what your saying. but either way, good work on thinking of something that not many people bother with, and going for it! all the best!
            Parallel lines have got so much in common. It's a shame they'll never meet.

IF IT'S TOO LOUD, YOU'RE TOO OLD

My N16

'how-to' de-badge your car

Comment

that's because maus is fuelled by a diet of pure water which is kept with him at all times for maximum hydration and brain output.
              Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

all im saying is...a little sugar never hurt nobody :P
                Parallel lines have got so much in common. It's a shame they'll never meet.

IF IT'S TOO LOUD, YOU'RE TOO OLD

My N16

'how-to' de-badge your car

Comment

We use dowding and mills to rewind our motor for us They always seem to do a good job. I make sure got the name right.
                  1992 Mitsubishi magna

It not what you drive, it how you drive it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BiH-PULSAR View Post
                    i fail to see a large stockade of energy drinks. i dont think your putting in enough effort here mate.
                    Originally posted by marty View Post
                    that's because maus is fuelled by a diet of pure water which is kept with him at all times for maximum hydration and brain output.
                    It's true! I avoid caffeine and other stimulants wherever possible. The green bottle on my desk is the water bottle that Marty speaks of. It goes everywhere with me, and I'm never thirsty ;-)

I made a point to avoid caffeine the first time I went to Uni. It involved 7am start times (5:30am wake up), 5 days per week, and it was very tempting to have some coffee to wake up, but I didn't want to become dependent on it. It's a good thing too! I've seen too often what people who rely on it can get like when they don't have their coffee. It takes them hours to wake up, and they're useless, sometime dangerous (on the road for example) until they get their daily caffeine hit. My last job in the states had a rotating shift schedule on 12hr shifts. A few day shifts and a few night shifts each week. I was the only person there who DIDN'T rely on coffee.

Or maybe I'm just weird ;-)
                    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
                    sigpic

Comment

i dont like coffee. Cuppa tea in the mornings the best way to wake up lol

all i can say man. this is some cool looking stuff... have no idea how it works but im sure it will kick some internal combustion ass some day

Comment

Finally bringing everything together, even though it looks more spread out than ever on my workbench ;-)

All the important stuff is in one spot though, the main enclosure. Careful when sticking your hand in there, the voltage can be rather high.

In the box you can see the main IGBT module (this one is only rated to 200A, the final version will have three 300A modules). It's mounted on a water-cooled heatsink. A single radiator 120x240mm in size will be all the cooling this car will need!

The important news is that it is working (mostly) as expected! Still having some dramas with the commutation control chip I built it around and am trying to work out how to replace it with something more reliable (and cheaper too). Got a lot of code to look through, and not much documentation. Give me some time though :-)

Time to start shopping for a motor and batteries.
                        Good to see I'm not the only one that has electrical crap strewn everywhere :P PS, that little oscilloscope looks awesome, I need one of those... What'd it cost you?

What uC are you using to control it all? I can't tell from the pics... And are you programming it in C, or are you going old-school with ASM? :P

/nerd mode

Comment

Originally posted by kingham3689 View Post
                          Good to see I'm not the only one that has electrical crap strewn everywhere :P PS, that little oscilloscope looks awesome, I need one of those... What'd it cost you?

What uC are you using to control it all? I can't tell from the pics... And are you programming it in C, or are you going old-school with ASM? :P

/nerd mode
                          The scope is a Hantek DSO1060. I got it on eBay for $460 shipped. It's great, and I've only found one bug in the firmware so far (has to do with duty-cycle measurement).

Currently, it's running on a MC3PHAC stand-alone 3-phase drive controller. That is being controlled by an Arduino (ATMEGA328). I'm using the Arduino IDE to program that bit in C. That's what running on the monitors. The source code on the laptop screen, the serial readout for debugging on the upper monitor. My PCB design software is running behind those, with the PCB layout on the laptop screen and the schematic on the upper one.

I'll be replacing the MC3PHAC with another AVR for better customisability and reliability. That's the part that needs some more reading to get my head wrapped around the code. I'm almost there ;-)

BTW, nerd mode should be latched on in this thread!
                          sigpic

Comment

Quick video I recorded today of my controller in action (at low power, high RPM). Enjoy!

sigpic

Comment

Awesome work, can't wait to see more!

Comment

The scope is a Hantek DSO1060. I got it on eBay for $460 shipped. It's great, and I've only found one bug in the firmware so far (has to do with duty-cycle measurement).

Currently, it's running on a MC3PHAC stand-alone 3-phase drive controller. That is being controlled by an Arduino (ATMEGA328). I'm using the Arduino IDE to program that bit in C. That's what running on the monitors. The source code on the laptop screen, the serial readout for debugging on the upper monitor. My PCB design software is running behind those, with the PCB layout on the laptop screen and the schematic on the upper one.

I'll be replacing the MC3PHAC with another AVR for better customisability and reliability. That's the part that needs some more reading to get my head wrapped around the code. I'm almost there ;-)

BTW, nerd mode should be latched on in this thread!
                                Ah nice, I've looked into Arduinos before... Never ended up using one (my uC of choice is the 8051f120 (a souped up old intel chip), it's what we've had to use for uni projects aswell). Looks really impressive anyway, if I'm down at sydney sometime I'd love to have a look once it's all in and working I'll look into one of those oscilloscopes too... I've been after one like that for a while

Awesome work, keep it up!
                                Last edited by Jenga; 16-06-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X