Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's he building in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick note that I've ordered enough batteries to make a "small" battery pack. The specs of this battery pack are:

326.7 Volts
    4000mAh
    396 individual A123 18650 Lithium Nano Phosphate cells
    Total cost: AU$964

It sounds huge, but at full load, these batteries will only power my motor and controller for 1-2 minutes (enough for testing and development). Thankfully they're rechargeable ;-)

The actual battery pack that will go in my car will be 140 individual 40Ah lithium iron phosphate cells for a total voltage of 448 (nominal) and enough range to drive my BMW 75-100km (depending on average speed) on $2.88 worth of electricity.

Total cost of that pack will be approximately AU$8000-9000. Time to start shopping for personal loans!
    My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
    The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
    sigpic

Comment

Damn, I hope you're not planning on soldering those together yourself. That'd drive me batsh*t insane with 396 cells. lol. Invest in a spot welder perhaps :P

Still, that's awesome to see you're so committed to it, the end result will be brilliant. I dunno about anyone else, but I'm getting excited about this. These kinds of investments are always worth it in the end, particularly if you learn some some great skills (such as making an electric car!)

EDIT: Woo, 100 posts. lol.
      Last edited by Jenga; 19-06-2011, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I could get you a good % on a home loan, or car loan, but my cousin's fiancè doesn't do personal loans. :\ You'll get it done though, because you are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by kingham3689 View Post
          Damn, I hope you're not planning on soldering those together yourself. That'd drive me batsh*t insane with 396 cells. lol. Invest in a spot welder perhaps :P
          Yeah, the company I ordered the cells from is making up some packs for me. There will be 66 packs of 6 cells each. The packs will be paired up in parallel and then each pair of those will be wired in series to make up the high voltage pack. That way, I only have 66 packs to work with instead of individual cells. The packs will be spot welded and I'm having them leave tabs out and available for me to solder on to myself. Shouldn't be too bad.

I'm glad you're excited! I'm really enjoying this project.

Development of my controller will probably take a break though once the batteries arrive. I'll have to start working on a charging system and battery management (because they're lithium) system. They should be relatively quick to get made up though, at least simple versions of them.
          My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
          sigpic

Comment

do you need to balance these cells like lithium polymer ones?
            for your sake, i hope not...

Comment

Originally posted by Kwik View Post
              do you need to balance these cells like lithium polymer ones?
              for your sake, i hope not...
              Yeah, otherwise the pack voltage will sag as some cells go dead while others don't. That's what the battery management system I'll design is for.

These A123 cells are tolerant to going completely flat (not 0v, but 100% depth of discharge (DOD)), but the bigger cells I'll use later shouldn't go beyond 80% DOD.
              sigpic

Comment

Very cool project. What output motor are you aiming for?

Comment

Originally posted by TMM View Post
                  Very cool project. What output motor are you aiming for?
                  22kw nominal (continuous) 70+kw peak. May sound small, but keep in mind peak torque is at 0rpm ;-)
                  sigpic

Comment

Quick update, no crazy photos this time, sorry.

Motor controller has been tested at higher currents and is performing very well. I've taken it apart for the moment though as I design a new board to better fit the new microcontroller I'm using as well as incorperate some updates to the design. It will also be updated to be able to run the BIG (300a 1200v) IGBTs.

I'm waiting for the battery management boards I ordered to show up. They're also my own design. I've already received the parts that will go on the boards. They will be used on the small batteries I posted pictures of before for testing and balancing.

I'm also building a battery tab spot welder. Ordered 2 VERY LARGE (4 farad) car audio caps from the states. The 1 farad ones at Jaycar are pretty good, but I'd need several of them to weld tabs as thick as the ones on these batteries. Even with the Jaycar 1F cap on it, so much current flows through the leads during a weld that they actually twitch.

Also, for those of you who are interested and want to follow my EV stuff in more detail (and with more frequent updates), feel free to follow me on twitter. I just created the account this evening. @mauswerkz on there. Link in sig as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice! dunno if you have a facebook page but you can link the two together also
                      Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

Hi, not exactly related to this but on saturdays and sundays on channel 7mate at 12 they have a show called racing green, they take a Radical A0(i think) make it electric and drive from Alaska to the very bottom of Chile. Its a good show, me likey.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by MOOG
                        RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
                        Originally posted by TomBrulinski
                        mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Comment

Looks good! was shot a year or two ago by the looks of it... Same guy who shot long way down/round
                          Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

No Facebook for me. I had it for a while, but got sick of it and closed the account.

I saw "Racing Green" on Saturday, it looks good! Definately going to keep watching it.
                            sigpic

Comment

awww man this is so awesome, wish I had the attention span to do an engineering degree. Which degree are you doing?

P.S saw you on Robsons Rd this morning on my way to TAFE, was going to flash my lights but wasn't sure it was you, I later thought who else would be driving a white beemer with a black bonnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                                awww man this is so awesome, wish I had the attention span to do an engineering degree. Which degree are you doing?

P.S saw you on Robsons Rd this morning on my way to TAFE, was going to flash my lights but wasn't sure it was you, I later thought who else would be driving a white beemer with a black bonnet.
                                not him, the guy before him :P
                                sigpic
                                Originally posted by MOOG
                                RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
                                Originally posted by TomBrulinski
                                mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Comment

Working...
                                X