Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's he building in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MausWerkz View Post
    Got it done at PCBCart in China. I'll be getting my battery management and capacitor boards made by them as well. Good quality and the price it right too. If I'm only getting a couple boards made and don't need solder mask or silk screen, I get it cheaper from Futurlec. They do solder mask and silk screen, but the cost make it worth going for PCBCart. PCBCart's specs are better too (finer clearances, testing, free solder mask on bottom of board, etc).
    Fair enough, I might give them a go when I send off my boards to be fabricated. I was using BatchPCB for previous projects, but the lead time was about 1.5 months and the min clearance was 0.2mm. Looking at the specs, these guys seem to be a lot better, and if the quality is decent that's a win.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with nerds Luke, haha

Comment

Originally posted by Jenga View Post
      Fair enough, I might give them a go when I send off my boards to be fabricated. I was using BatchPCB for previous projects, but the lead time was about 1.5 months and the min clearance was 0.2mm. Looking at the specs, these guys seem to be a lot better, and if the quality is decent that's a win.
      Quality of either place is just fine. Futurlec is about a month to arrive while PCBCart is about 2 weeks (if you pay for DHL).
      My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
      The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
      My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Marty View Post
        reaching for the ban stick...
        Oi oi oi.. You wouldnt Moog Says im a good guy remember...

Besides, who else would give you guys trade price batteries when needed

Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
        Let me assist you

Love ya Lukey <3
        Haha Jmac... <3 Might need to hit you up for some postage help.. Dam American sites and not posting to Aus
        Last edited by jmacman12; 22-09-2011, 01:26 AM.
        Originally posted by MOOG
        "Luke641, I like him, his a good guy!.. Just throwing it out there"
        You Are a Bogan Dude, You Are Such a Bogan Dude, You Are From The Sutherland Shire, Frodo the Bogan!
        Check out my page:

Comment

+1 for PCBCart - I use them for all my own stuff and also for almost everything I do at work, and have never had any problems with them. They're perfectly happy to take small runs or one-offs and the lead times are really good. They can also achieve some pretty impressive tolerances if you're willing to pay extra for the tooling.

Comment

Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
            Let me assist you

Love ya Lukey <3
            i think Jmac has a rake fettish

Comment

Here's the thing that's scaring my room mates. I reckon I could get in trouble if I ever took this thing out of the house. Looks dangerous, no?

Well, yes, it is actually. 330v DC with high discharge lithium batteries backing it up. This "brick" is capable of putting out over 200amps at that voltage. That's over 66kW worth of potential sitting on my desk there. Of course, it could only do that for a little over a minute before it's flat.

Those in the know will be screaming at me "you can't put that many lithium batteries in series without balancing!", and they'd be right. My battery managment boards (likely to be the first 'mauswerkz' electric vehicle product released to the market) are on the way. They're currently being manufactured in China for me.

This battery pack will be used as a high voltage, high current source for testing my motor controller. Plans are in the works for a dyno to run it on. Electric motors and controllers need to be tuned just like a programmable ECU in a car (Jenga, you'll be able to appreciate that soon enough ;-)
              My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
              sigpic

Comment

Mauswerks, you cant put that many lithium batteries in series without balancing!
                sigpic
                RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
                Originally posted by TomBrulinski
                mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Comment

we had the WAEV mondeo come into work the other day was pretty cool. none of the electrics would be serviced by us just the cooling system, body suspension, wheels, steering.the car is manual tried it with the autobox but the shift patterns were erratic.???
                  i was wondering if they had a front on collision and something become shorted,the car would be live and fry everyone in it muhuhuh:@lol but nah it would have some sort of circuit breakers like the ones in the hosehold fuse box

\__________________/
                  (O[]O)\_______/(O[]O)

aaaaaaaaa S K Y L I N E

Comment

so am I the only person who got the tom waits reference?

Comment

• Originally posted by MausWerkz View Post
                      Here's the thing that's scaring my room mates. I reckon I could get in trouble if I ever took this thing out of the house. Looks dangerous, no?

Well, yes, it is actually. 330v DC with high discharge lithium batteries backing it up. This "brick" is capable of putting out over 200amps at that voltage. That's over 66kW worth of potential sitting on my desk there. Of course, it could only do that for a little over a minute before it's flat.

Those in the know will be screaming at me "you can't put that many lithium batteries in series without balancing!", and they'd be right. My battery managment boards (likely to be the first 'mauswerkz' electric vehicle product released to the market) are on the way. They're currently being manufactured in China for me.

This battery pack will be used as a high voltage, high current source for testing my motor controller. Plans are in the works for a dyno to run it on. Electric motors and controllers need to be tuned just like a programmable ECU in a car (Jenga, you'll be able to appreciate that soon enough ;-)
                      That pictures scares me somewhat, haha, those are some massive numbers for a battery pack (even if it can only sustain that power for a minute or so). Good to see the pack finally assembled though.

Mmmm, electric motor tuning. You'd have to tweak power curves and such I'm assuming (so you don't have crazy wheel spin every time you take off )

How long does the pack take to charge?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenga View Post
                        That pictures scares me somewhat, haha, those are some massive numbers for a battery pack (even if it can only sustain that power for a minute or so). Good to see the pack finally assembled though.

Mmmm, electric motor tuning. You'd have to tweak power curves and such I'm assuming (so you don't have crazy wheel spin every time you take off )

How long does the pack take to charge?
                        Yeah, changing the voltage/frequency ratio at different RPMs changes the torque at that particular RPM. Since I'm not going to have a transmission (direct coupling to the rear differential), I'll need at much torque at 0rpm as possible, and it should taper off to a constant value once moving. That's done through tuning, just like a petrol engine.

The pack takes 30 minutes to charge. It's about perfect in size for testing. 3-5 minutes worth of dyno testing, 30 minutes to charge while analysing the data and making changes in the software before the next dyno run.
                        sigpic

Comment

• That's not bad at all actually, must be a beefy charger to cram that much power into the packs in such a short time.

Going for direct drive makes the whole project a lot simpler, for some reason I thought you were going to use the gearbox (don't know why that was, haha).

Make sure you take some videos of the dyno runs. A quiet car on a dyno will be quite a weird thing to see

Comment

• Battery management boards have arrived! These are the production boards and I've already taken an order for the first batch of them to end up in the customer's electric go-kart conversion. I have 150 of them, which is more than enough for a full-sized EV battery pack. Still waiting on a quote for the bits and pieces that go on them, as well as parts from several suppliers that I've already ordered and am just waiting for delivery from.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Be afraid.

No, this isn't the motor that will go in my car. It's just for testing.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MausWerkz View Post
                                Be afraid.

No, this isn't the motor that will go in my car. It's just for testing.
                                That capacitor is huge...
                                sigpic
                                RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
                                Originally posted by TomBrulinski
                                mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Comment

Working...
                                X