Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's he building in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its alive..
    Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

• Great project Mauswerkz!

Just a few questions for you.

1. Did you write the code for the 3-phase/brushless commutation?
      2. Does the controller use BEMF sensing or Hall Effect sensors to determine phase position?
      3. With using the IGBT's, do you require any specific drivers or drive methods for controlling them?

I've been working with a colleague for the last few months converting cheap chinese rc plane brushless controllers into simple brushed controllers for use in combat robots, so it would be nice to talk to someone with some controller experience and 3-phase / brushless commutation knowledge

Subscribing to thread!
      TrackDub - 89' AW11 4AGE 20V (83.5RWKW) | SkidDub - 88' AW11 1MZFE V6 | SlushDub - 89' AW11 4AGZE Auto T-Top
      www.midrear.net - My AW11 build/blog/rant/motorsport website

Comment

• Hi knightrous.

1. I didn't write the core code, but I've modified it heavily and added quite a bit to it in order to implement additional features and communication with another microcontroller. The core code came as part of an application note. There are versions available for PIC and AVR (among others). Mine is AVR. Atmel has application notes for several different types of motor control suited to a range of their microcontrollers. Check out their website.

2. Neither, it will use an encoder for speed and direction information, but no phase position information is required as the motor is asynchronous (induction). The controller will use the speed information from the encoder to directly control slip (taking into account other inputs) for torque control, though this hasn't been implemented yet (still waiting on my new motor with encoder to arrive).

3. I designed my own IGBT driver system. I got a lot of inspiration from Powerex appliation note BG2B. I think the only part of their driver I actually used directly was the zener voltage divider on the output, and I even chose a different zener voltage.

Check out my build thread for more info, though it's mostly focussed on the car itself. There are some details on the motor I'll be using in there. I'll probably merge these two threads once the two projects themselves (the car and the electronics) start coming together.

Feel free to message me about your RC stuff, though I'm not sure how much help I'll be since most of my experience is with 3-phase induction and DC PWM motor control. Any knowledge of BLDC or synchronous AC motor control is purely from reading and research.
        My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
        The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
        My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
        sigpic

Comment

• Spent 9hrs today installing all the SMD components on 100 of my battery management boards. Once these are done and installed, I'll be able to charge my monster battery pack. I'll also be able to test the interference immunity of these boards in a very noisy environment (high power, high voltage, high frequency unshielded switching). At the very least, the boards will work stand-alone. If there is an interferrence problem, it'll only affect communication between the boards and the master unit, and then only while the motor is running. I'm hoping this isn't an issue though. I'm using a somewhat unique strategy to (hopefully) avoid noise problems that others have encountered when designing similar systems. Anyway, here's a pic of a pile of boards!

My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
          sigpic

Comment

• Finally finished assembling my battery management boards! Much more work than I was expecting. When these go into production, it'll probably be worth having them assembled in a factory. Doing it by hand would make it too expensive.
            sigpic

Comment

• true dedication to the mission as you are posting this on a saturday night

guaranteed success..
              Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

• Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post

Finally finished assembling my battery management boards! Much more work than I was expecting. When these go into production, it'll probably be worth having them assembled in a factory. Doing it by hand would make it too expensive.
                That's a really solid effort... I know just how long those fiddly, little SMD components take to solder. It's not a quick process when done by hand. Looks awesome though!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenga View Post
                  That's a really solid effort... I know just how long those fiddly, little SMD components take to solder. It's not a quick process when done by hand. Looks awesome though!
                  The SMD was done in a reflow oven, but putting down the paste and placing the components took me and a mate 9 solid hours of work! I don't think I'll use 0603 resistors next time. TOO TINY!
                  sigpic

Comment

• All I see are a bunch of hieroglyphs. That's very impressive.
                    CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB

TIOCFAIDH AR LA

Comment

• Woah, just marathoned this thread. Excellent work here M. I'm going to call you M. from now on.
                      Starting something at such a tiny level and building it up to what it's going to be, taking such a long time. and keeping motivated? Dose it ever feel like your going to be 60 years old before you see the completion of this project?
                      I had trouble making a simple thermofan (via relay not the actual motor) controller, felt like i spent fooorrreevveerr on it and it was a spec in comparison to this.
                      My hat goes off to you sir, respect.
                      My "show" (wan|<) car:
                      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

• I bet this would be awesome if i knew what ya guys were talking about ha

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy2287 View Post
                          Woah, just marathoned this thread. Excellent work here M. I'm going to call you M. from now on.
                          Starting something at such a tiny level and building it up to what it's going to be, taking such a long time. and keeping motivated? Dose it ever feel like your going to be 60 years old before you see the completion of this project?
                          I had trouble making a simple thermofan (via relay not the actual motor) controller, felt like i spent fooorrreevveerr on it and it was a spec in comparison to this.
                          My hat goes off to you sir, respect.
                          Thanks mate. Motivation can be difficult to come by at times, but I have tricks to keep it.
                          sigpic

Comment

• cocaine? =P

***edit: This might be more your style though XD
                            http://www.goodbadjuicy.com/wp-conte...se-cocaine.jpg
                            Last edited by Crazy2287; 27-12-2011, 09:50 PM.
                            My "show" (wan|<) car:
                            http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

• I am very impressed at the work you're doing here. Are you an EE?
                              |1971 Corvette, 365hp 454, TH400, PS, AC, T-tops|

Comment

• Originally posted by Bad Bird View Post
                                I am very impressed at the work you're doing here. Are you an EE?
                                Studying mechatronics engineering at Wollongong Uni. It's sort of half EE and half mechanical. Been working on this project since well before I started there though so most of it I've been learning as I go.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X