Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Episode - TURBO TIMER Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Episode - TURBO TIMER Install

So this has been one of our top 5 most requested episodes for a long time. We've managed to hold off from doing it for many years, but eventually we were crushed under the weight of email requests.

So here it is. Do you think turbo timers are useful or a marketing scam? Do you use one or not? Lets have a useful discussion about them below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqg0oeWS0sw
    MCM MAGAZINE ISSUE 5 OUT NOW. Have you got a copy yet? Mighty Car Mods Magazine

Great ep! I won't be installing a turbo timer on my upcoming car I feel. Seems like a good little mod to do, but not needed

Not really useful but a good little addition to have sometimes I guess
    Last edited by MRTIIDA; 12-07-2013, 01:32 AM.
    MCM Queensland Facebook Groups:
    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Brisbane
    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Sunshine Coast
    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Gold Coast
    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - FNQ
    MCM Queensland Forum

Comment

Watching the video as soon as Futurama ends in 6 minutes (its commercial break now). I have never had a turbo timer before but my old turbo was water cooled. My new one is oil only so I am considering it. I do normally drive easy (low RPM, no boost) the last bit before I park. The exception to this is if I am late for something.
      1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo II - T66 powered
      1979 MG Midget - High Compression N/A
      2004 Chevrolet Silverado - L18 swap in the works

Comment

Just sat down to have lunch and saw this. Aw yeah.

As for the discussion on turbo timers, I think this paper written by Garrett is equally as interesting and relevant:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...er_Cooling.pdf

In page 6, the section called "What is the right way to properly set up a water-cooled turbocharger" talks a lot about how to reduce the temperature of the turbo bearings once the engine is shut off. Keeping water circulating through the turbo via convection is just as good

An (even better) thing you could do is to invest in an electric water pump and hook up a turbo timer to it. It'll keep full coolant flow through the engine and turbo, while the engine is shut off.

I'm not going to get into the debate too much, but the only thing that turbo timers are good for is so that you can walk away from your car while it's running, for that 'cool' factor.

Great video as always guys
        Last edited by Jenga; 11-07-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about the electric water pump motor. Turbo timer. :/
          Originally posted by [email protected]
          You don't have to go all out to make american cars decent, you just need to be a decent driver.
          Originally posted by MrSheep
          Girls are a crazy bunch, mostly. I swear the factory they're made in has some pretty piss poor Quality Control.

Comment

Back in the day when turbos were primarily oil cooled, yes they served a purpose. But these days with water and oil cooling going on there's absolutely no reason for it.

I agree with Moog and Marty, if you've been driving hard, just chill out for a minute or two and drive without getting into boost to let all the fluids circulate around before shutting the car off. That's what I do, anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
            My 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Comment

Just good for looks and being to say you have one. Would never be bothered with one since whenever i park my car i sit around for 30 seconds anyway. In conclusion as useful as a pod filter from SCA.

Comment

Ahhh lads, dropping the tools . Working In heat is probably good for you, like a sweat detox MCM style.

Turbo timers make sense, have a cool liquid running through a hot turbo to cool it down. They look cool too and people think your a proper maaad tuner. I looked at a '97 Rx7 that was highly tuned and i think it needed a turbo timer because of the aggressive ECU tune. For stock turbo + tune, I wouldn't get a turbo timer.(I know MCM lads value my personal input)

An Evo seems like a street weapon and a STi seems like a rally/snow weapon.
                Mx5 NA (1.6L)
                Impreza ('95 2dr)
                Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

oh marty come to the darkside i shall send you a box of cookies. lancers are awesome besides girls want diamonds not sti's
                  the build it started as show and quickly turned into GO!

Mitsubishi service and electrical manuals hosted by me for you mitsi nuts

Originally posted by MOOG
                  right next to my Silvia was an old Mitsubishi colt that had somehow managed to dodge the flames and was fine! absolutely perfect. every ugly panel of it. i could almost feel the Mitsubishi badge laughing at me and I've hated them ever since.

Comment

Nice video guys

I guess you can think of it this way, professional race horses do cool/warm down laps at the end of a race, sporting athletes do exercises and rituals to cool/warm down after a game or training session, so a turbo or even NA car should probably have the same principal applied, drive conservatively for the last few minutes before arriving to your destination.
                    I use this principle when I drive to race meets, cruisy drive up to the event for about an hour via highways and in town during the cold morning allowing for everything to warm up, rev the nuts off it all day whilst racing, then a cruisy drive home on the roads, using high gears, smooth on the everything and so on.
                    Originally posted by thatcoolwind
                    Only narrow minded people hate on cars because of their brand.
                    Originally posted by Cal
                    I've driven skylines, 180's, even hachi's with 4AGZE's, not to mention all my corollas, and I have to say the excel was a blast to drive.
                    Check out my excellent ride HERE: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ellent+hyundai

It doesn't matter what kind of car you have, If you've put in the work, time, and money you deserve a little respect.

Comment

Good episode guys, what made it better for me was the fact it was filmed in Singapore! On the topic of turbo timers, as the old saying goes it's better safe than sorry. I like having that extra piece of mind that my car is cooling down just for a few minutes after a drive (my Skyline doesn't actually have a turbo timer). I am also happy that Moog said they are illegal in Australia, because that will make it very clear to anybody who wants to install one. Really though I would NEVER park in a parking lot, get out of my car and have it left running there (even though it does have a immobiliser). When I park I leave the car running for 2 minutes while I sit in it, because that does the same thing. Personally I don't see the point in Turbo timers because leaving your car running is all you have to do, and because they are illegal.

Also guys don't even joke about the endangered Furry Sperm Whale Rat, I hit one of those coming back from the City one day and I am still in counseling :'(
                      Last edited by Mr.Chow; 11-07-2013, 01:23 PM.
                      Originally posted by SL1DE
                      Rear wheel drive > front wheel drive.
                      Originally posted by m3ntyl
                      In my town there are two demographics, people with jobs, and people with Commodores.
                      Everybody else has a link to their cars, so I'll just put this here: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-GTS-T-Skyline

sigpic http://i.imgur.com/tYDtteR.jpg

Comment

Great to see some Mitsu/Lancer love fellas! As always, awesome vid!

Comment

Hell, my lux is NA at the moment, I plan to put one in for when I do turbo it. Might be 6+ months, but it's not gonna hurt an NA donk

------------------------------------
                          A Digger is someone, who, at some point in their life, made out a blank cheque payable to "The Commonwealth and People of Australia" for "Any amount up to and including my life"

This is an honor, and there are way too many foreigners in this country that do not understand.

LEST WE FORGET
                          -Christopher Scott

"Rumbuck"

National President
                          NT State President
                          Darwin and Surrounding Areas Chapter President

Bullets in the Gun Ute Club

Comment

I like turbo timers coz it's cool and girls like me more
                            Daewoo Nubira: Sold
                            Mazda 3: now bro's car
                            R33 Skyline: Project
                            VX commy S: Sold
                            Mazda 323 Astina SP20: Daily

Originally posted by MrSheep
                            You can tell this movie is awesome because it has "2" in the title, in place of the word "to".

Comment

Turbo timer opion

The Pros

When your late for work or something inportant and in a rush they are handy to lock the car and go.

After a track run you can let it cool down without staying in the car and i dought the track guys will allow you to do a slow lap to let it cool down.

The Cons

Might be able to hotwire older cars with no immobiliser / if someone jumps in the car before it locks they could keep setting it to 10 minutes and bring it for a joy ride or steal it

Might void insurance if ya forget to declare.

Why are they illegal in Australia ?

Comment

Working...
                              X