Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbos

Hi there guys,so i was wondering about turbos and i noticed that alot of people dont have a cone filter over the hole where the air sucks in from the atmosphere but a few people do .Im not all clued up on mechanics and those things so i know pritty much nothing about turbos and those nitty gritty things.so my question is"Does your car have to have a filter over the air inlet hole on the turbo and if you dont put one on it, will it suck in bugs and things that are floating around under your hood?"

99% of cars will have a pipe that runs from the turbo's intake to somewhere else, and usually that pipe will have an air filter on the other end, or attach to an airbox with an enclosed filter.

Such piping will usually also have a Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) if the car utilises one, and connections for hoses which run to the Positive Crankcase Ventillation (PCV) valve, Recirculating Valve / Plumbback BOV. Highly modified cars might have these things removed, utilising MAP sensors, Atmospheric BOVs, and alternate PCV plumbing.

The only times I can think of where I've seen a Turbo run with no filter or ducting is when the car is on a Dyno, or on Drag cars. Coincidentally. these are just the types of places people are going to take video of these cars to throw up on YouTube etc. In both of these cases, the environment around you is generally pretty controlled and ideal - no rain, dust being blown around, traffic flicking up stones, etc. I can't say I've ever known anyone to drive around on the street without an air filter.

Not running a filter would be bad for all the reasons you've imagined. Not only would contaminants be bad for the turbo, but the engine itself as well.

Comment

One day Rake... I'm going to ask a question about aircraft, and I expect answers!

:-P
      sigpic

Comment

oh i see well thanx for that,so if i want to intsall a turbo on my car would it be a good thing to apply the filter streight onto the side of the turbo?heres what i mean.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...Air-Fitler.jpg

Comment

I don't see why you'd have the filter hanging straight off the turbo... turbo's run really quite hot, so the ambient air around there would be, hot? I'd assume you'd want the filter to be in a part of the engine bay that's relatively cool.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah .. typically you'll find the Filter is mounted away from the turbo.

Comment

Also stay tuned for the pod v panel filter comparo...
              My YouTube ~ My Ralliart Colt ~ Midnight Run

Comment

Yea that makes sense but saying that, all i need then is about 30cm of stainless pipe attached to the turbo and then the filter goes on the end of the pipe.yup my question was answered thanx guys.

Comment

M-theory theory Rake, can you explain the inner working of the 11th dimension? Of course noting the duality comparing the D-branes with supersymmetry breaking.
                  If at first you don't succeed, add duct take.

Comment

What your probably seeing is that alot of cars when going for photo shoots etc especially in mags like Hot4's and similar ake the intake piping and filter off for the shoot as it gives better angles on seeingthe turbo and lots of show cars that are never driven and just put on show and started a couple of times also do this.

It's just for show usually
                    My 1994 Pulsar on MightyCarMods Forum

My 1994 Gunmetal Silver N14 SSS Intro and Build on PGA

sigpic

Comment

ok so will i be correct if i say one of the intercoolers pipes gets connected over that hole?

Comment

No, piping which is often the same look as intercooler piping is connected and usually run down into the guard or other cool area of the bay and the filter is attatched to the end
                        My 1994 Pulsar on MightyCarMods Forum

My 1994 Gunmetal Silver N14 SSS Intro and Build on PGA

sigpic

Comment

^ What BMSSS said.

The intercooler is after the Turbo, but before the throttle. The Turbo compresses the air that goes into the engine, and this heats it up. So an intercooler works to counteract this.

Comment

so where do the intercooler pipes get conected?

Comment

Air Filter, Pipe, Turbo compressor outlet, pipe, intercooler, pipe, throttle(s), intake plenum, engine, exhaust

Comment

Working...
                              X