Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The have-to-drive-this-road-someday-before-I-die bucketlist!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The have-to-drive-this-road-someday-before-I-die bucketlist!

So once every while I see something on Facebook go past about awesome driving roads in the world.

After taking my car on a 5-day trip through Italy last year I wanted more. I have a trip planned with the Dutch Citroen club through eastern-Germany this year. I've started planning something of a roadtrip through central and western Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France for now) for 2018 and that same Citroen club is planning to go to Romenia in 2019, mostly to drive the Transf a garasan highway.

So with a few roadtrips planned and some idea's in my head and the recent influx of social media coverage of great driving roads I started making a bucketlist of roads that I want to drive some day.

I've seperated them into places I can realistically drive to myself and places where I need to fly to and get a rental

Own car
    Country Name/Description Done
    Italy Passo dello Stelvio yes
    Italy Passo dello Gavia yes
    Austria Timmelsjoch
    Austra-Italy Brennerpas (the old one, not the current tollroad)
    Austria Gotthardpass (the old one, not the current Gotthardtunnel that goes through it)
    France Riems-Gueux paddock (former F1 circuit in France, only the paddock, pitlane buildings and such remain, the main straight has become public road)
    England National Park Lake District
    France Col de Vence
    Norway Lofoten, Atlantic Road
    Germany Nurburgring Nordschleife yes
    France Col de Turini

You might notice that the current list of places I want to go is mostly Italy, Austria and France. I'm gonna try and plan my route for 2018 past all these points (except Norway and England)

Rental car
    Country Name/description Done
    USA Route 66
    USA Mullholland drive/road/highway/whatever

I have pictures and GoPro footage from both Stelvio and Gavia in Italy. Here's footage from the Stelvio pass that I already had on Youtube. I enjoyed the Gavia a lot better then the Stelvio, less traffic, tight single lane roads, no guardrail in places, bad roads, tight tunnels, amazing views. About an hour after the Gavia pass we started climbing up the Stelvio pass, it was filled with RV's, campertrailers, slow people, cyclists and so on, immensly crowded once we arrived at the top aswell.

So lets have it, post your automotive adventure to-do list!
    Last edited by TheCaptain; 20-04-2017, 05:51 PM.

I've always wanted to drive from one side of the US to the other over the course of a few weeks. Preferably in a Dodge Viper.
    Other than that, the North Circuit would be fun, as would the Autobahn.
    One place I drove in early 2009 was Mount Panorama, Bathurst. Would like to do that again.

I wonder if Marty knows about Mulholland Drive?

Comment

The german autobahn is nothing special really, just a regular highway with no speed limit. I usually put the cruise control on 150 or 160k's. The suggested speed is 130km/h, and in some places there is a fixed speedlimit. Not all of the autobahn is limitless. If you get into an accident while you are going faster then the suggested 130 and the other guy isn't, you're to blame pretty much instantly.

I guess the Nurburgring counts as a road aswell, so added that to my list
      Last edited by TheCaptain; 19-04-2017, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Wait, so you're taking your car to another country? That must be very very very expensive.
        Check out my Ford P5 1967 17M, And comment!

"The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

Comment

Not sure if serious or trolling again.

Comment

Passo dello Stelvio wasn't as good as I hoped/expected, the hairpins were too tight on the north side. (had to go back to first gear on every corner)

Two roads that I enjoyed more:
            - Staller Sattel (Italy side is one-way and single lane, with the one-way direction changing every half-hour. very nice downhill, quite narrow, very go-kart-y.
            - Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. Really high up, very nice road to drive on. Also a national park, you can go see the glacier, eat apfelstrudel, and see Murmeltiere.

Also, I really have to do the Nordschleife once my car is ready.
            Modifying is a lifestyle!
            Originally posted by milkchicken
            Oh man I hate it when the bolts on my car decide to strip, its so awkward.. I'm like dude I've got a partner I can't be seen doing this...

Comment

Nurburgring would be a definite, but I'd need to rent a _decent_ track-day car for it - taking a rental Golf TDi around it just wouldn't be worthwhile. However, playing Dirt Rally recently has made me appreciate Pikes Peak and Col de Turini even more (although Climb Dance made me fall in love with PP years ago, such a pity it is now all tarmac)

Comment

You are not allowed to take rental's on the Nurburgring though. There are trackside rental company's that will rent you a car specificly for the Nurburgring.

Col de Turini is a good one though, added!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCaptain View Post
                  Not sure if serious or trolling again.
                  I'll answer AFTER you've answered it.. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a bait-- i mean.. *whistle*

"The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSedan View Post

I'll answer AFTER you've answered it.. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a bait-- i mean.. *whistle*
                    If I go away for multiple days I usually get traffel insurance for 10 euros or something (depends on number of days). Additional cost is fuel, food and drinks and a place to stay, which for now has always been a campsite. Cost wise its not that bad.

A trip to the Nurburgring is easy to calculate actually. Its a 240km trip to the Ring, do a few laps at 27 euros per lap, hang around, watch cars, walk around car park, drive 240km home.

My fuel tank will last for about 600km's on trips like that, so 3/4 of a tank there and about. Including a couple of laps and buying a few stickers, food, drinks (if you didn't bring anything) a full day is about 100 euros total.

Comment

If I go away for multiple days I usually get traffel insurance for 10 euros or something (depends on number of days). Additional cost is fuel, food and drinks and a place to stay, which for now has always been a campsite. Cost wise its not that bad.

A trip to the Nurburgring is easy to calculate actually. Its a 240km trip to the Ring, do a few laps at 27 euros per lap, hang around, watch cars, walk around car park, drive 240km home.

My fuel tank will last for about 600km's on trips like that, so 3/4 of a tank there and about. Including a couple of laps and buying a few stickers, food, drinks (if you didn't bring anything) a full day is about 100 euros total.
                      And how much is a trip to england? Not everyone lives in germany.

As a finnish person, i don't need stupid pay to drive tracks.. I can simply just drift on ice. And the plow guy can make the track as big or as challenging as you want.. a whole lake is big enough if you fill it with twisty curves.. Plus it's 10 times harder to drive on pure ice.. No wonder nordic formula drivers destroy middle europeans.

EDIT:

GRIP!
                      Last edited by BlueSedan; 21-04-2017, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSedan View Post

And how much is a trip to england? Not everyone lives in germany.
                        I don't live in Germany, I'm in the Netherlands, 15 minutes from the German border.

Trip to England was rather expensive, but me and my parents split the cost. Boat trip from Hoek van Holland (Netherlands) to Harwich (England) in December was 254 euros (there and back) for 1 car and 3 people economy class. Pricing depends on time of year and wether you have a van or a campertrailer, RV, truck etc. Gone through 2 tanks of fuel, spend 4 or 5 nights in a hotel, including food and drinks, tickets for museum's, not sure what it all was in total because we split the cost, I would take care of my own travel insurance, fuel and ferry ride, my parents would take care of the rest.
                        Last edited by TheCaptain; 21-04-2017, 03:51 AM.

Comment

You are not allowed to take rental's on the Nurburgring though. There are trackside rental company's that will rent you a car specificly for the Nurburgring.

Col de Turini is a good one though, added!
                          There are rental cars and then there are rental cars. Yes most mobs won't let you take a standard holiday rental there (or at least void your insurance if you do), but from what I've heard from mates who have gone there it is well worth the extra expense to stump up for a Lotus 340R or another dedicated track car for the day rather than a humble hot-hatch (or warm hatch with slicks and a cage)

Comment

As your first few laps, I wouldn't be to concentrated on going fast, just enjoy the track and stay to the right.

And yes, if you take a regular rental car on the track, spectators at the track might report to have seen the car on the track and when you go to return the car you will get billed for worn tires and brakes.

Comment

I want to do route 66.
                              This is my signature, by far the most original and hilarious signature made in the long hilarious history of hilarious original signatures, all other signatures shall bow before mine for it is... the best.

GTI-R > SW20 > everything else

Click this --> http://flamingtext.com/net-fu/proxy_...ageoutput=true

Comment

Working...
                              X