Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAAB Bigger Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAAB Bigger Turbo

Hi Guys & Gals,

I need some help. I read on maptun.com and brewcityboost.com that I can bolt on a bigger turbo, Intercooler and injectors and get close to 300hp. I already have a tune from Brew City, and because I'm a previous customer and I already have the little programming computer he has basically quoted $100 for an upgraded tune. But now he's saying I need forged pistons to get 300hp?. That's big money. Local mechanic isn't particularly interested in doing turbo and inter cooler install.

So, my question is, where do I go to get turbo, intercooler and injectors fitted?. Should I put in forged pistons?, If so how much?. Any recommendation for mechanics in Sydney area?

BTW This is all MOOGs fault

Pete

I've been googling and YouToobing. I've noticed that you can buy "Drop In Pistons" and they can be put in without pulling the engine. Is it possible to drop in pistons?.

Comment

The Saabs (big more info needed)? Saab (what year/99/900 classic/900 modern/9000/9-3/9-5/S/SE/Aero/man/auto)!

Comment

Originally posted by mirage22 View Post
        The Saabs (big more info needed)? Saab (what year/99/900 classic/900 modern/9000/9-3/9-5/S/SE/Aero/man/auto)!
        Woops. 09 SAAB 93 Vector B207L 2 litre 5 speed auto. Current turbo is TD04-11tk and I've just bought a TD04-19t

Comment

First thing, 09 good as it has updated EGR valve system! Second thing, drop sump (not too hard) check for oil sludge remove oil pickup/clean mesh/sump/reinstall all and fill with best Quality syn oil of the factory viscosity specs (Mobil 1 good)! 5sp Auto same as 4sp 250kw max but it's the mid range torque that Saabs make that kills gearboxes, so make sure you give it a full service before getting serious! Intercoolers have plastic tanks that split at high boost and rubber hoses that flex and split, so look at a all alloy swap before going over 15psi! Also,you don't need pistons (if your engine is fairly low klms) they can handle 250KW easy! So in my opinion, give both engine and gearbox a full service while you replace the turbo (and oil feed lines to turbo with braided, important) then really inspect close/clean intercooler and replace all turbo pressure hoses with silicon, install Aero injectors (check to see if you already have them, saab did some strange things), replace exhaust from turbo back, or at least turbo down pipe (gives you 15+KW alone) then fit a wideband AFR gauge and take it to well known Saab reprogrammer in your city to install the 250-270kw ECU flash to the factory ECU and bob's your uncle (reliable 250KW)! Oh, and would be best to replace you ignition cassette as they are known to catch fire when they run dry (check Saab forums on how to handle them before installation, very important) And Good Luck!

Comment

Oh and just remember the power figures for stage 4 268hp (199kw) you see at the BSR and other sites is just a safe generic ECU map, std aero turbo and 3" inch downpipe to std exhaust! Given to a good Saab tuner and refined (like Moogs Forester showed) and a solid intercooler/pipe setup and full 3" exhaust with high flow cat 250KW is possible (well in the medium term)! As with all things in life! Maybe 200-220kw and a real safe tune would be better in hindsight!

Comment

Originally posted by mirage22 View Post
              First thing, 09 good as it has updated EGR valve system! Second thing, drop sump (not too hard) check for oil sludge remove oil pickup/clean mesh/sump/reinstall all and fill with best Quality syn oil of the factory viscosity specs (Mobil 1 good)! 5sp Auto same as 4sp 250kw max but it's the mid range torque that Saabs make that kills gearboxes, so make sure you give it a full service before getting serious! Intercoolers have plastic tanks that split at high boost and rubber hoses that flex and split, so look at a all alloy swap before going over 15psi! Also,you don't need pistons (if your engine is fairly low klms) they can handle 250KW easy! So in my opinion, give both engine and gearbox a full service while you replace the turbo (and oil feed lines to turbo with braided, important) then really inspect close/clean intercooler and replace all turbo pressure hoses with silicon, install Aero injectors (check to see if you already have them, saab did some strange things), replace exhaust from turbo back, or at least turbo down pipe (gives you 15+KW alone) then fit a wideband AFR gauge and take it to well known Saab reprogrammer in your city to install the 250-270kw ECU flash to the factory ECU and bob's your uncle (reliable 250KW)! Oh, and would be best to replace you ignition cassette as they are known to catch fire when they run dry (check Saab forums on how to handle them before installation, very important) And Good Luck!
              I've bought a DO88 intercooler that goes in the stock location with aluminium end tanks. I've noticed the stock intercooler is mediocre. On a stage 3 tune, when ambient temps go over 25 degrees the butt dyno notices a drop in power. At 30 degrees ambient it power drops off significantly. Almost back to stock power. So the stock intercooler is only just sufficient for stock to stage 1. The upgraded intercooler drops IAT by ~ 20 degress, which is a significant improvement. It also claims less pressure drop too. I've included the big pipe intercooler kit as you suggest. It was only a few hundred and I think it would make a huge difference. This intercooler with 630cc injectors will protect me against melted piston or exploded Rodney's. I agree that the 285hp tune I'll be using is conservative. Online tuners don't want a reputation for destroying engines, and without actually being in the car on a dyno they have to play it safe. I think 250kw (335hp) Is easily achievable, but I think it would be a ticking time bomb. According to SAAB forums 220kw (300hp) seems to be the safe limiti. I've read a lot of posts of guys that busted the ring lands at 320hp. So 300hp is kinda riding right on the knifes edge.

Dropping the sump and doing a sludge clean is a good idea. I plan to do that, intercooler with big pipes, turbo, and injectors with a safe conservative tune of 200kw (285hp). It'd be a bit silly to spend all that time and money, then detroy the motor and not be able to drive the car.

THEN, I plan to do things properly. Buy a junkyard engine and build it with rods, pistons, valve springs, cams etc with a goal of 400 to 500hp in mind. Then swap it in.

Plus I still need to do the Chevy Cobalt Brembo swap to make sure I can stop the damn thing.

I've challenged a mate with a BMW 335i to a drag race, am I in with a chance?

Pete

Comment

Sounds sweet, Main thing is to make sure you have a constant supply of good engine parts at decent prices if playing the (on the edge game)! In ten years time it's not going to be the same story (part of the pic a model to modify issue we all deal with)! 200KW from a 2lt 4cly with stockish internals sounds pretty damn good when.you say it (2lt/200KW)! If Saab did what it wanted to do and make their 9000 V8 we might have had a BMW/Merc crushing 460KW 4.6lt V8 turbo 9-3 3dr Viggen AWD! Ahhhhh (what WRX)?

Comment

Ran 15.1 @ 150 at the creek. Seriously dispointed. Where can I go for a custom tune, and to make sure I'm getting the claimed 300hp?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteyBoPetey View Post
                    Ran 15.1 @ 150 at the creek. Seriously dispointed. Where can I go for a custom tune, and to make sure I'm getting the claimed 300hp?
                    You should go to nearest dyno you find. And never trust "claimed" hp.
                    1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Working...
                    X