Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you want to go fast do ya !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want to go fast do ya !

ModS that have to be tested By MCM what do you think ? Which mods do more harm than good? What works for you car?

Any sort of vent-to-air catch can does more harm than good.

Removing the Cat entirely does more harm than good.

Using Octane Booster additives does LOTS more harm than good.

I'm sure there's more.....

Comment

Originally posted by Skullinhand View Post
      What works for you car?
      Cubic inches.
      1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Metal Lube? I guess it doesn't sell in Australia.

The power boost is not really noticeable, but it makes the car run smoother, and lower the gas consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Kullman View Post
          Metal Lube? I guess it doesn't sell in Australia.
          The power boost is not really noticeable, but it makes the car run smoother, and lower the gas consumption.
          Yeah, but Chlorinated Amino's? Really? I'm not a fan....
          Chlorine belongs a lot of places, but not in my engine.
          Yes, you're reducing friction, but at the cost of significant corrosion; I'd prefer to keep my bearings, even if my rings wear a little.

Moly is a much safer additive with similar proven results.

Comment

Allegedly, Metal Lube certify than the product doesn't use plumber, graphite, silicon, bisuplhide of molybdenum, silicon, PTFE (teflon) or Tritraclor (clhorine).
            Last edited by Kullman; 21-05-2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Allegedly, Metal Lube certify than the product doesn't use plumber, graphite, silicon, bisuplhide of molybdenum, silicon, PTFE (teflon) or Tritraclor (clhorine).
              Can you link their data sheet?
              I'm just going by the Analysis done on BITOG forums; I'm keen to see otherwise. And a date on when they reformulated.

Just because they dont use MOS2 doesn't mean that don't use MolyDTC

Comment

I really don't have their data sheet, just what they say on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post
                  Removing the Cat entirely does more harm than good.
                  This isn't that simple. There is shit ton of different factors when talking about removing cat.

On my car it was only a good thing to get rid of that. But it's an old v8 with speed parts.
                  1982 Ford Taunus

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by SBC View Post
                    This isn't that simple. There is shit ton of different factors when talking about removing cat.
                    On my car it was only a good thing to get rid of that. But it's an old v8 with speed parts.
                    What do you do about the effects on the Ozone?
                    What was the difference between a high flow cat; 200cel, say; and none, that justified it?

Comment

What do you do about the effects on the Ozone?
                      What was the difference between a high flow cat; 200cel, say; and none, that justified it?
                      I don't really care what kind of impact my cars have on ozone. Also my cars are so old that our emission laws doesn't require cat in those cars.
                      And I don't need high flow cats when I have pretty much free flow exhaust.

+ She sounds quite angry.

1982 Ford Taunus

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by SBC View Post
                        I don't really care what kind of impact my cars have on ozone.
                        Then we shall not agree on this topic; which is fine.
                        I'm no greenie, I love skids and top-fuel drags as much as the next car nut; but to me, on a daily driver, when a $70 piece of steel which has no real negative impact on the driver\experience can stop my vehicle passively killing things?
                        I just find it hard to argue against it; seems so simple and logical.
                        Unless you're on the bread-line, and $70 will stop you eating, I guess; but probably don't mod your car until you're stable....

However, you can do you, I'm not the boss of anyone.

Comment

Then we shall not agree on this topic; which is fine.
                          I'm no greenie, I love skids and top-fuel drags as much as the next car nut; but to me, on a daily driver, when a $70 piece of steel which has no real negative impact on the driver\experience can stop my vehicle passively killing things?
                          I just find it hard to argue against it; seems so simple and logical.
                          Unless you're on the bread-line, and $70 will stop you eating, I guess; but probably don't mod your car until you're stable....

However, you can do you, I'm not the boss of anyone.
                          My daily driver is almost 40 years old 4 banger with stock exhaust. If it didn't have cat when new, i'm not gonna put one in it.

That beer barge STW is just a summer car. It has basicly no effects on enviroment.
                          My point was that when talking only about car performance, removing cat vs not removing cat is not that simple answer, there is shit ton of factors at play then. On high horsepower engines (mostly race cars) anything unnecessary you put in your exhaust has negative impact, when even the shape of collectors has huge impact on performance, when maxing out output numbers.
                          For example my friend's street/drag car has mufflers and longer exhaust when driving on street, on strip it has open headers to maximise the exhaust flow.
                          1982 Ford Taunus

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

It's a difficult subject, and i agree with both of you in some points.

Extending the life of an old car is saving the planet too, as you avoid the pollution generated by the building of a new car.

Anyways, adding a high flow cat in an old car have little to none effect on the power of the engine, but reduces the emissions significantly, so it's a must upgrade if you are looking to save the planet for your children.

Comment

Anyways, adding a high flow cat in an old car have little to none effect on the power of the engine, but reduces the emissions significantly, so it's a must upgrade if you are looking to save the planet for your children.
                              Thats my way of looking at it, yep.
                              If $70 will send you broke, fair enough; but if you're well enough off that $70 is achievable, a high flow cat has no downsides.
                              I guess if you're playing the "1hp matters" dyno game, perhaps, but nothing real world.

Comment

Working...
                              X