Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGK Iridium Ixs just arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGK Iridium Ixs just arrived!

So new to Modding, and my current car is not a Mod Monster(1.6 NA Ford Focus Mk3), but I'm doing what I can.

So a performance airfilter in the factory airbox has made the car feel more perky, and now my NGK Iridium Spark plugs have arrived. I'm going to do a quick 0-60 check before and after just to see if there is a difference (which I wish I'd done on the air filter, but hey-ho)

My callipers have been painted red, so that's 25Kw right there!

After that I'm planning a set of bigger brakes, (300/320vs vs the 278mm discs it came with) which will fit under my factory 18s and finally a stage one ecu remap - +15% power and torque apparently. I'd love to do a Drum to disc conversion on the back brakes, but I'm struggling to find out how. There is one video on the web, but it isn't great and he's using a kit not available in the UK.

Beyond that i'm not sure.... a new exhaust is a possibility and they make sports headers/trumpets/throttle bodies for my engine (a Lotus 7 upgrade) which will require another re-map, but that is getting into 1000s of pounds territory on a car worth not much more.. it would probably make more sense to swap out to a more moddable car.

But first things first. NGKs will be going in shortly and we will go from there..

Anyone else tried out perfromance sparkies? Did you see or feel a difference? Any other perfromance mods ideas that I could try without breaking the bank?

Cheers!

4114n

Originally posted by 4114n View Post
    So new to Modding, and my current car is not a Mod Monster(1.6 NA Ford Focus Mk3), but I'm doing what I can.

So a performance airfilter in the factory airbox has made the car feel more perky, and now my NGK Iridium Spark plugs have arrived. I'm going to do a quick 0-60 check before and after just to see if there is a difference (which I wish I'd done on the air filter, but hey-ho)

My callipers have been painted red, so that's 25Kw right there!

After that I'm planning a set of bigger brakes, (300/320vs vs the 278mm discs it came with) which will fit under my factory 18s and finally a stage one ecu remap - +15% power and torque apparently. I'd love to do a Drum to disc conversion on the back brakes, but I'm struggling to find out how. There is one video on the web, but it isn't great and he's using a kit not available in the UK.

Beyond that i'm not sure.... a new exhaust is a possibility and they make sports headers/trumpets/throttle bodies for my engine (a Lotus 7 upgrade) which will require another re-map, but that is getting into 1000s of pounds territory on a car worth not much more.. it would probably make more sense to swap out to a more moddable car.

But first things first. NGKs will be going in shortly and we will go from there..

Anyone else tried out perfromance sparkies? Did you see or feel a difference? Any other perfromance mods ideas that I could try without breaking the bank?

Cheers!

4114n
    hey mate

Yes I swapped out my original BP6HS copper cored plugs for BPR6HIX iridium equivalents and noticed a difference, but my Suzuki is old points and dizzy setup.

On something newer like that, you'll probably not notice a difference, but it'll improve emissions and fuel consumption as it'll misfire less.

Why do you want to upgrade the brakes? Rear drums have a better handbrake and the 278 standard discs are more than up to the task. You can only brake as hard as the tyres can grip.
    Also going bigger discs adds unsprung weight, do not want.

0-60 is a real inaccurate way of measuring performance, as it involved changing gears. You might get more consistent results doing a pull in 3rd gear and timing how long it takes from 2000-6000rpm or something along those lines. Obviously, you'll only see differences if you have access to a dyno.
    I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

Originally posted by MHR1294 View Post

hey mate

Yes I swapped out my original BP6HS copper cored plugs for BPR6HIX iridium equivalents and noticed a difference, but my Suzuki is old points and dizzy setup.

On something newer like that, you'll probably not notice a difference, but it'll improve emissions and fuel consumption as it'll misfire less.

Why do you want to upgrade the brakes? Rear drums have a better handbrake and the 278 standard discs are more than up to the task. You can only brake as hard as the tyres can grip.
      Also going bigger discs adds unsprung weight, do not want.

0-60 is a real inaccurate way of measuring performance, as it involved changing gears. You might get more consistent results doing a pull in 3rd gear and timing how long it takes from 2000-6000rpm or something along those lines. Obviously, you'll only see differences if you have access to a dyno.
      Hey, Thanks for the info.

The iridium sparkies, do make it feel a lot smoother, and It the car seems to be a bit more responsive. Too early to tell on the increase in MPG.

They main reason for wanting the bigger brakes is the look of the car. the 278s look tiny in the 18s. The car had a sports pack option with the 300mm discs, so it's sort of sensible. I agree the 320s might be overkill, and add weight, but they'll look sick in the rims! Not decided yet, but either way eBay is your friend for finding the calliper brackets. to move to 300s it's the came caliper on a slightly taller bracket. 320s will mean new callipers and bracket.

I hear you on the drums, and the handbrake, but I've seen the car with both drums and discs on the rear, and the discs, just look better. But it might be a mod too far.

Cheers

Comment

Well, if it's just for looks, knock yourself out as they say!
        I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

Working...
        X