Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugeye transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugeye transmission

Hi all,

The dreaded weak gearbox issues has raised it's head on my GD Bugeye WRX and I'm wanting to know where in Australia is the best place to get a quality reconditioned gearbox. I have already checked out getting an MRT gear set but that's over $4k just for the set and I'm on somewhat of a tight budget right now. I look forward to any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Matt

Ah weak gearbox on a bugeye, 5spd yes?

A few years ago I would have said get one from NZ we have heaps, but they are starting to get hard to find/spendy to rebuild here also, might be worth a crack though vs $4K

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Yes it's the 5sp gearbox. Anywhere in NZ in particular I should be looking at?

Comment

No problem, it was a fairly easy assumption, if you were wrecking 6 speeds $4K wouldn't be denting the budget much

These are the usual suspects/tend to hold the most stock of useful things in NZ

https://www.strongforsubaru.com/

https://www.subwrecks.co.nz/

Comment

Thanks mate, I'll check it out.

Comment

No luck in NZ. Does anyone else have suggestions of where I could go to get a decent transmission? Also does anyone have a guide that I can follow to remove the transmission. I'm wanting to remove it myself to cut down on cost. I've tried to find a detailed how to video on YouTube but haven't been able to find one. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pl8e View Post
              No luck in NZ. Does anyone else have suggestions of where I could go to get a decent transmission? Also does anyone have a guide that I can follow to remove the transmission. I'm wanting to remove it myself to cut down on cost. I've tried to find a detailed how to video on YouTube but haven't been able to find one. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Matt
              I might have found one in Switzerland, but they say you'd have to pick it up, so they probably won't ship it to AUS or it would be so expensive that you wouldn't want to afford it.
              https://www.dragon-import.ch/occasio...2001-2002.html

To remove the gearbox I can only speak in general: Support it well, best would be a hydraulic gearbox lift. Check if anything is unusual, like a starter that needs to be removed first. Then undo the screws, first to the rear, then to the front. Then lower it carefully. Best thing is if you get someone to help you.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, however like you said I believe the import fees would make the purchase not worthwhile. I will keep searching

Comment

Working...
                X