Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To motorbike, or not to motorbike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To motorbike, or not to motorbike?

A bit of background about myself. I've always had bad eye sight which has always affected my driving life/style. I never learned manual till very recently and even now, still only now the very basics. I'm not mechanically minded and don't have heaps of knowledge when it comes to automotive.

The reason I've thought about getting a motorbike is primarily because they look fun and are so .. well bad ass. My issue is this. I've had family members die on motorbike and have also had the misfortune of watching a young guy die in front me after coming off his bike due to a collision.

I recently saw a few females riding motorcycles and thought that it was the hottest thing since *****es started getting tattoos on their thighs. There are benefits with bikes like petrol and parking however, what else is there?

What's the maintainance like when it comes to servicing, tires and petrol? Are there any major perks to have one even if you keep a car for a daily?

A mate of mine had a Kawasaki Ninja on his L's with a slip on exhaust that was very loud, however he crashed it three times and after losing his licence, decided to cut his losses and sell it. It just seems like I'm sorrounded by reasons not to have one. Have even thought about going for my bike L's for the sake of having them, but then, isn't there a heap of road rules you have remember in order to pass?

/ Bad Ass.
    Spelling mistakes are most likely due to me typing on an iPad.
    MR CELICAS TOY!
    MrCelicas Family rides!
    Originally posted by Rake
    MrCelica is all class. Listen to him.

If you have eye sight issues stay off a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
      If you have eye sight issues stay off a bike.
      Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking at the moment. As fun as it may be, there are other hobbies.

The problem with Bikes is, you get one chance. You f^ck that up and you're royally screwed.
      MR CELICAS TOY!
      MrCelicas Family rides!

Comment

I mean you could always buy one for a track and have fun on some ride days, but I guess on the road on a bike you have to be awake and 100% more active to make sure that everyone see's you.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yeah am just thinking it all over now and It's not one of my smarter ideas..
          MR CELICAS TOY!
          MrCelicas Family rides!

Comment

What kind of eyesight issues? I'm short sighted (that is, can't see stuff at a distance). To the point where people say I should get glassis. But I drive and ride perfectly fine without them. If it's more severe though, glasses could be worn in a helmet, you'd just want something with a light thin frame (as a helmet should and will be tight on your head) and something that'll take a bit of twist without letting the lenses pop out - did that with my sunnies. If you've got contacts, sweet.

I'm not one to ask my olds permission for stuff, but I did atleast see what they thought of me riding before I got on one. They were cool - dad's only apprehension was his brother was in a motorbike accident. But he basically said "As long as you wear all the gear, all the time".

[qoute]There are benefits with bikes like petrol and parking however, what else is there? [/quote]

Petrol yes (varies with the bike ofcourse), parking yep. Especially around the city - can save a LOT of money. It's a great way to be like "Nah man, can't give you a lift". You look boss, and riding is fun. For me, it was a new skill too. Everyone can drive - Just the fact I can ride is something most people can't say.

What's the maintainance like when it comes to servicing, tires and petrol? Are there any major perks to have one even if you keep a car for a daily?
            Cars are much more tolerant than bikes. Cars can go for ages with the occasional oil/fluid change, but not bikes. Tyres and parts are generally more expensive, even though they're smaller, or needing fewer of them. You need to check and adjust valve clearances every so often. You need to check chain tension and keep it lubricated regularly (even as often as every 500km). Bikes don't have as much lifespan - eg, 60,000km's is a lot to a bike, but low for a car. So you want to be handy with a spanner - but that's half the fun.

It's also another mouth to feed - another insurance policy, another green slip, another yearly rego, and so on.

That said, the milage that go on a bike, mean it's milage that's not on your car.

Add to the cost to purchase gear. Helmet, gloves, and so on. It makes getting a bike a big outlay.

A mate of mine had a Kawasaki Ninja on his L's with a slip on exhaust that was very loud, however he crashed it three times and after losing his licence, decided to cut his losses and sell it. It just seems like I'm sorrounded by reasons not to have one. Have even thought about going for my bike L's for the sake of having them, but then, isn't there a heap of road rules you have remember in order to pass?
            When I announced to people I was getting a bike I got the "temporary australian" lecture from a few people. People talk to you as though you never considered the risks and dangers. Thing is, if you're thinking about riding, you've already accepted the risks. So there was no swaying me. I wasn't about to go "Oh shit never thought of that, hmm maybe I won't ride then".

It is possible to ride on the roads without having an accident. Some people are simply better than others. And sure, there are going to be things outside of your control - it's true for driving too, it's just if you're hit you will come out worse off. Still, if you're reactive AND proactive, as all good drivers and riders should be, stay within your + the bike's limits, and so on, your chances are much greater. Simply put: Don't be a dickhead.

The bike courses are FAR better than going for your Car L's. It is actual training. If you were just curious and wanted a safe environment to get an introduction to riding, the $80 to do the course isn't too expensive. And it is not about assessing you - it's designed so someone who has never even seen a bike before can be taught the basics, and taught properly. If you can demonstrate basic competancy, you'll get a certificate which enables you to go for your L's. You would pretty much have to run someone over or break a limb to fail.

I wouldn't go for your L's though if you're not serious about getting a bike. Bike L's are only valid for a year, and you can't renew them. If you get them and sit on them, they'll expire and you'll just have wasted time and money. Decide if you're going to, get cash together to buy a bike, then get your licence.

Comment

Wow... Thanks heaps Rake. Really appreciate the great input. Gives me allot to think about.
              MR CELICAS TOY!
              MrCelicas Family rides!

Comment

Glasses? contact lenses? laser eye surgery?

Go get a bike dude!!
                "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

"Lots of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more MORE is..."

My Ninja ZX10r
                http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ki-Ninja-ZX10R
                My Ute
                http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Falcon-XG-ute

Comment

if you still haven't mastered a manual car then theres no way in hell you should be even thinking about getting a bike.

As for the eyesight issues just get some contacts or something that's not a big problem I don't think.

I'd say leave it for a few more years then think about it again.

and if you're only wanting it so you can pull chicks, just no.

I've always wanted an old triumph but I have trouble trusting the bad drivers on the road just to drive my car let alone a bike. It only takes some middle aged woman in her VW talking on her mobile to cut me off and that's it. Kersplat, dead.

Comment

Yeah it's not you that you have to worry about it's all the others who don't do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mutton_wizard View Post
                      if you still haven't mastered a manual car then theres no way in hell you should be even thinking about getting a bike.
                      First vehicle I ever drove was a motorcycle when I was 11, I sure as hell wasn't perfect at driving manual then. Why not give it a go? Bike transmissions are a bit different to a normal H-pattern gearbox on a car.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by Crazy2287
                      Stephen, Are you stalking me?

Comment

Although I had years of driving experience under my belt, when I got my bike, I was perfectly comfortable in peak hour traffic just 3 days into my L's. That said 95% of my riding has been commuting, so I'm still a bit weary of twisties and extreme leaning.

Riding itself is very easy. If the bike is running, movement and engine rotation give the bike inertia, they want to stand up, you have to work against this to lean and steer.

Bikes, being low torque, and often having wet clutches, mean you have to rev them higher than a car for a smooth takeoff. And the gearboxes are sequential - up and down, no H pattern. The front and rear brakes are idependant of eachother too - front brake is your right hand, rear brake is your right foot. So hillstarts are easy, you use your foot to hold the bike, and your hands are clear to operate the throttle and clutch. The difficulty however, is that, the gear lever (left foot) does not give any indication as to what gear you are in. And bike gearboxes are often close ratio, so it's a lot more difficult to 'calculate' your gear based off speed and RPMs. Getting into neutral can be a pain. Bikes have a Neutral light though, and some newer bikes (mainly Sports) will actually have a gear indicator on the dash. But you should be working off feel anyways.

Manual driving and riding isn't hard. Particularly on a smaller, slower car or bike, which is much more forgiving. You won't be popping wheelies accidently on a ~250cc.

Bikes are also heavy. If you've never sat on one, it's easy to hop on and your brain is expecting something like a pushbike. But where a pushbike might weigh, 10kg, a motorbike will weigh 160+, bigger bikes will easly tip 200, and even more again for your big tourers and cruisers. You also don't have a reverse gear, so you do want a bit of a strength to be able to move a bike around. Parking and so on. I'm not big (175cm, weigh prolly 65ish these days) and I can move my ZZR250 around well enough. Oh, and try to avoid running out of fuel. Many bikes also lack fuel gauges too.

What else can I think of.. Oh. The roads are a harsh place to be - even if you don't fall. Dust, debris, heat, cold, wind, rain.. By comparison, being in a car is honestly like being in bed. Doesn't matter if its hot or cold or raining, windows up, aircon on, whatever, stereo on, whatever. On a bike, you can't do anything. Visor fogs up, can't wipe water off, your clothes are soaked, all while blasting along at 100km/h. You bear the brunt of it. Again, you want good gear. Oh, and on the topic of rain, remember the area of rubbar that contacts the road is probably no larger than the palm of your hand.

But on a nice day .. oomph. A bike is a wonderful place to be. I shouldn't say this, but if you went for a quick 5 minute splat on a bike, maybe on property or a backstreet or something .. Any doubt would be crushed by the child within you going "GIMMI GIMMI GIMMI!!!"
                        Last edited by Rake; 20-05-2012, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Got a mate with a dirt bike? That's the way to go
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Crazy2287
                          Stephen, Are you stalking me?

Comment

That's a great idea Rake. I really am absorbing all of this. It's a bit of a sensitive topic to me thanks to my family and what I've observed over these years. That same said mate of mine, although no longer having a bike, actually got his cycle P's yesterday. He'll be buying another bike soon so i think i might have to take his for a small spin and maybe get some pointers. Really appreciate everyones input though, especially yours Rake.
                            MR CELICAS TOY!
                            MrCelicas Family rides!

Comment

I don't like them at all .. My aunty was at the lights and drove safe . They stoped at a set of lights but there was also a train so they were there for a long time.There was a truck behind her and it forgot that she was there and she left a gap to be safe but the truck couldent see her and hit her from behind and she fell of her bike and the truck run her over. She passed away quickly.

Now if she was In a car the truck would have seen her or if it dident then it would just hit her and they would be on there way,but becuse she was on a bike she lost her life. It is a freack acident tho. She could have fell away from the truck but she dident.

You might be a good rider but other people can make mistakes and not no road rules and run into you. The truck was going less then 10kmh but thats all you need. On a bike there is nothing to protect you.
                              Last edited by ricky_191; 20-05-2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X