Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To motorbike, or not to motorbike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks very much for the info Rake Really helps. makes me realise that its probably not realistic to go for them until I've finished year 12/HSC in 6 months. That way i won't have to miss out on school etc to do the courses. Its seems like they have a far better system than car licensing in some ways, i still reckon (despite only just getting my p's and i guess being relatively inexperienced) that all L platers should have to do a defensive driver course before they get their P's. I think this would be a good experience for new drivers and would allow them to be much safer on the road once they pass their P's. My opinion though i guess. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Greeny; 22-05-2012, 12:13 AM.
    グリニ

Comment

The big plus of a bike licence is that you can get around independantly straight away. No need to ask reluctant parents or friends to take you anywhere, and there's no rush to upgrade. It's not like you gain any real privelleges by upgrading that you don't already have - unlike a car licence where P's are the first instance where you can drive solo.

I actually lost my bike L's, so I let them expire and then reapplied. I had to do the course twice and almost ran the second period out, was basically on L's for 2 years.

HSC? Overrated 3 days off tops, I bet you've chucked more sickies than that in your time
      Last edited by Rake; 22-05-2012, 12:23 AM.

Comment

The thing that's a waorry is, I'm on my greens now, if i go back to L's, they have a zero tolerance to speeding and that would mean i'd lose all my licence straight away, unlike my current Greens which i have one chance..
        Spelling mistakes are most likely due to me typing on an iPad.
        MR CELICAS TOY!
        MrCelicas Family rides!
        Originally posted by Rake
        MrCelica is all class. Listen to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rake View Post

I actually lost my bike L's, so I let them expire and then reapplied. I had to do the course twice and almost ran the second period out, was basically on L's for 2 years.
          Did you loose your car licence when you lost your L's? I'm under the impression, for some reason, that if you loose one license you loose the other as well... And i don't like the idea of loosing my P's ( not that i would ever have a chance of loosing my bike L's )

I think thats what MrCelica is saying as well...

Originally posted by MrCelica View Post
          The thing that's a waorry is, I'm on my greens now, if i go back to L's, they have a zero tolerance to speeding and that would mean i'd lose all my licence straight away, unlike my current Greens which i have one chance..
          グリニ

Comment

You have different point thresholds for the different licence classes.

Learners are 4 points and Green's 7 points. Now, points are universal. You only have one container of demerit points. So they affect all licence classes.

But due to the differnt point thresholds, if you lose your Bike licence, you won't lose your car licence, so you still have your 'one chance', and you will still be able to drive.

And after you serve a suspension period, your points are cleared. And again - points are universal. I had prior offenses (car, eg mobile phone) and I got done speeding on the bike. I was still able to drive. Once the suspension / refusal period was up, I had all my demerit points available to me again.

Originally posted by Greeny View Post
            Did you loose your car licence when you lost your L's? I'm under the impression, for some reason, that if you loose one license you loose the other as well... And i don't like the idea of loosing my P's ( not that i would ever have a chance of loosing my bike L's )

I think thats what MrCelica is saying as well...
            Speeding fine which would've resulted in a suspension. However since they were almost expired I just let them go and had to wait 3 months before I could reapply.
            Last edited by Rake; 22-05-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

So for example, i get a 4 point speeding fine on a bike, i lose my Learner cycle licence but have three points on my car licence?
              I incurr a four point speeding fine in my car, have three points on my car licence but lose my bike one.

Am i right?
              Spelling mistakes are most likely due to me typing on an iPad.
              MR CELICAS TOY!
              MrCelicas Family rides!
              Originally posted by Rake
              MrCelica is all class. Listen to him.

Comment

So for example, i get a 4 point speeding fine on a bike, i lose my Learner cycle licence but have three points on my car licence?
                Correct.

I incurr a four point speeding fine in my car, have three points on my car licence but lose my bike one.
                Don't know about this one.

Either way though, you lose the bike licence or you don't - but at least you can still drive.

Of course, this all becomes irrelevant if both licences classes have the same points tally.

Comment

In Victoria, it is best to wait till you have your full car license. This way you are on the L's for three months minimum then you can go for P's. P plates only last for one year then you have full license.
                  But I strongly recommend glasses or something. Any unseen small piece of scrap, pot hole or bump on the road can lead to big problems.
                  Never trust anyone on the road! I have had tons of people simply not see me and I have had many people look straight at me and still cut me off. And even some nut jobs that get a laugh out of trying to kill me.
                  Wear bright coloured bike gear. Not a work vest as most people at a glance will assume that it is just another driver wearing one and not think about it.
                  DON'T and I mean DON'T buy a blaaaaack bike. My first bike was black and I found myself being cut off on many occasions by people that simply didn’t notice me. My new bike is bright green and since then I have noticed I don’t have to swerve out of the way of as many cars merging into my lane as I had with the blaaack bike.
                  Last of all and I know it is not as easy as it sounds but don’t speed.
                  Ride safe my friend.
                  Oh and if you loose your car license you loose your bike one aswell. And vise verse.
                  Evil mechanics murdered my car. So I resurrected it back from the dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben.M.Cam View Post
                    In Victoria, it is best to wait till you have your full car license. This way you are on the L's for three months minimum then you can go for P's. P plates only last for one year then you have full license.
                    So you can get a bike, ride now, and get your full licence later .. or .. Not get a bike, not ride, wait, and get your full licence later.

You can skip Green P's, sure, but think about it..

Oh and if you loose your car license you loose your bike one aswell. And vise verse.
                    Only true if they're the same licence level / same point threshold. May also be true for serious / high range offences.

Comment

Are there even restrictions on bike Ls and Ps?

If you want a motorbike and don't really care about a car then just get the bike license. You don't need a parent to ride with you when you have your bike Ls so what's the problem?

I was considering getting a Bike license to get around until I got my car done, but the amount of money I would have to spend on a bike I could finish my car so what's the point? /cool story
                      $900 Silvia? See it come together here~ Click!
                      $0 SR20? [Featuring $400 Silvia] See it come together here~ Click!

Comment

The only restrictions on Bike L's / P's are:

- Speed limits (80 / 90 / 100, like a car)
                        - BAC of 0.00 (... like a car)
                        - Bike must be LAMS

Varied between states of course, but they're the main things.

Comment

Ive been on and off bikes most of my life, never driven one on the road however.
                          The other day, I went and got my L's without telling my girlfriend of 4 years.
                          My mum doesnt really want me riding a bike but my old man has a 1300cc yammy and i see it as a way to hang out with him some more in our busy schedules
                          SO, im off to england in less than a month for a month so when i get back ill get a bike (looking at zzr250s or cbr250s - rake input please) and rock up at my mrs house with the new toy and exppect the worst hahaha
                          Morale of the story, YOLO! nah just kidding thats a horrible expression but it still kind of applies

If you think you can ride a bike, accept that there are horrible wankers/women on the road that do not have a clue, get a license
                          do what you want, but dont be an idiot and abruptly weave through traffic or in time you will just add to the road toll.
                          Only drive in HiLuxury

Comment

i couldnt imagine not having a bike. ive got 2 atm both cbrs and and a few dirtbikes and its a grand past time getting out with mates and going for a run. i have had an accident on my first
                            cbr (came out of a corner and hit a sandy patch...) and thanks to my leathers walked away with very minor injuries. i deff agree with anyone saying that the pros out weigh the cons. not to mention the chicks dig the jackets...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5lander View Post
                              not to mention the chicks dig the jackets...
                              nuff said bike it is
                              Only drive in HiLuxury

Comment

Originally posted by Rake View Post
                                So you can get a bike, ride now, and get your full licence later .. or .. Not get a bike, not ride, wait, and get your full licence later.

You can skip Green P's, sure, but think about it..

Only true if they're the same licence level / same point threshold. May also be true for serious / high range offences.
                                Lol I mean wait till you have your full car license then go for your bike L's. DON'T ride the bike on a car license.
                                And if you have a full car license your bike P's get merged, so yeah if you lose one you lose both. Not sure about the L plate part.
                                Again this is for Victoria, may be different state to state so find out first.
                                Evil mechanics murdered my car. So I resurrected it back from the dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X