Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking at trail bikes. whats a good one? im looking at 250 4 strokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at trail bikes. whats a good one? im looking at 250 4 strokes

My first trail bike. im looking at 250 4 strokes. any suggestions?

What do you wanna do on it?
    sigpic

Comment

i have a yamaha yz250f 2008 model. i suggest getting a "race" bike as they provide awesome enjoyment and have the greatest potential. i had a wr250f for a while but got bored of it, just my opinion they go hard look sick and will keep you entertained.
      KE70 PROJECT
      sigpic

Comment

yeah i was thinking of a crf250r or a kx250. my friends getting a kx and were gonna do trails and ride on my mates farm and just basically **** around.

Comment

I am about to sell mine. It is a yamaha WR250f 2003. It is a very good first bike and has the advantage of being road registerable. If you want to ride on trails it is best to have one registered, as it is a legal requirement for riding in state forests and fire trails.

You could get a MX bike, but they have really short gears designed for MX racing. A trail bike has a wider ratio (hence WR) which is more suited to trail riding. The WR250F is the same bike as the yz250f besides the gear ratio. There are a few minor parts (such as a screw that limits throttle position) that can be swapped over to give the bike more poke, but for a beginner it is fine as it is.

If you are interested in getting a WR250F message me, mine is currently not being used due to lack of time, and the rego has just run out. I serviced it last week ready for a pink slip. It has electric and kick start, staintune exhaust and aftermarket raidator guards. Good mechanical condition and a set of spare plastics.
          2008 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...im-s-XR6-Turbo
          1994 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...k-Toy-R33-GTST

Comment

I would recommend a trail bike over a race bike, but interestingly i would go a Honda or Suzuki, as they tend to be cheaper for parts in the long run ( I was looking at a new WR450F and got told to steer away as they require high maintenance and parts are typically more expensive then the Honda or Suzuki).

Also, all the bikes i have ever seen last the test of time have been the old faithfuls, I ride a Honda that is nearly 30 years old and still rips through mud, rivers and long grasses.
            sigpic

Comment

It is reccomended that you change your oil and clean your air filter after every decent session for a WR, as the engines work fairly hard and do not hold much oil. The same is true for the other manufacturers, make sure you are compairing the same style of bikes. For example a yamaha TT does not require the same kind of maintenance as the WR, the CRF will need the same care as the WR.
              2008 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...im-s-XR6-Turbo
              1994 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...k-Toy-R33-GTST

Comment

yeah interesting!, im not buying yet but just trying to understand them and make sure i buy the right one. thanks for ur comment really helped.

Comment

im taking delivery of a 2007 xr250r1 tomorrow (last of the xr's) wont be quite as fast as some high strung bikes but will deef be fast enough and can be road regoed. and wont have to swap out pistons and rings every 5000rpm lol

also brand new crf is 6k so dont go paying tones for a bashed up old bike
                  WIDE LOW FAST AND LOUD

96 Toyota Supra T78 track build/ daily (see members rides)

Comment

Working...
                  X