Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convincing Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convincing Parents

Here's the deal: I want to ride, and I know my car's worth a 250cc plus a little four-banger for when it rains. Gas where I'm going to University is outrageous, so a bike would certainly help, plus the fun and the camaraderie. Problem is, my parents don't want me on a bike. My father rides a suzuki boulevard c90 that he laid down last year, and so even though he's still riding he's frightened of me wrecking and getting hurt. He does say however, that if i go and buy a bike he'll pay for the safety course. the second thing is, he rides an 850cc bike, and says a 250 won't have enough guts to be worth riding. So my question is, how do I go about convincing them that I won't die immediately, and convincing him that a 250cc sportbike will preform.
    Thanks.
    - RIP

Mixed signals much? They dont want you do have one but they say if you do get one it needs to be biger than a 250?
    You seem like you have done your reasearch and if your of age to do so go get a 250 like you like. It is going to be a lot easier to handle than a 600 or a 850 and you still get to ride. Also, take them safety courses seriously. I had a friend just last weekend almost get creamed by a semi bcause he was showing off and ran a stop sign.
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 6.2 liter V-8, K&N intake, P&P'd TB, Borla long tube headers & ATAK exhaust, Mast motorsports Stage 2 cam and springs, Custom dyno tune by RDP Motorsport, MSD 2step, Hurst line lock, Dynotune nitrous kit, Eibach lowering springs, Camaro V-6 "Heritage" wheels, MT Street radials (coming soon). 510 RWHP 525 RWTQ

Wanna race? How much money you bring? I'll match it.

Comment

A 250CC has more grunt then you would imagine, hence why the Ninja 250's are so popular. Agreeable they are not rediculously fast, but they will easily keep up with traffic in urban/semi rural areas. On the highways they are nearly at capacity, but for short runs at high speed they are actually not that bad.

What is your height/weight? Because on a 250, or any other small bike, one of the biggest influences on the performance is the rider..
      sigpic

Comment

Over here the safety course (q ride) is a joke
        If you can do a figure 8 you have pretty much got yournlicence
        Tell your dad that you will get your license easy enough and it's up to him wether or not he wants to teach you to be a good rider , because your going to do it anyway as its something you want to do

250 , a lot safer than a moped..
        sigpic

Comment

and says a 250 won't have enough guts to be worth riding.
          His Suzuki boulevard c90 is/was only 67hp and weighs 670lb
          The 250 Ninja mentioned has 40hb and weighs 370 lb so not a big difference in power/weight, a bit sad considering the boulevard has 1500cc

But any way two different bikes for different styles of riding.
          As a learning bike the Ninja is ideal, with a manageable weight for a rider that needs to build confidence, nibble handling, excellent stopping power and ground clearance so it is about as safe as it is going to get starting on a bike.
          If he thinks you should get a mid size cruiser bike to start on then that would be the opposite of what I would recommend to start with.

If your travels require you to go out on the highway then I can see the point of a bike with a bit more squirt to get out of peoples way if need be.
          Again something with sporty geometry and stopping power is the safer option.

But if mum has the final say it might be academic.
          Last edited by Dug; 24-07-2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brentos View Post
            What is your height/weight? Because on a 250, or any other small bike, one of the biggest influences on the performance is the rider..
            120lb, 5'7"

@dug: if it happens, we'll be trailering the bike down to uni, so highway riding not really a huge deal. 5 miles on the highway max to the beach. mother dearest has given final say to dad, fortunately that won't be an issue.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
            - RIP

Comment

The risk of an accident is something any motorist, car or bike, must accept before getting out there on the roads. It's life.

All you can do is take precautions. Get the gear - gloves, helmet, jacket etc, make sure the bike is safe and mechanically sound, take whatever courses are available to you, be proactive out on the roads, and practice.

brentos is right. 250cc can be good, or it can be bad. It depends highly on your height/weight and where you will be riding / what speeds you'll typically be riding at. I'm 65kg, and do fine on city/urban roads and motorways. It's been great to learn on, however, even I could really go something bigger now. But there doesn't seem to be much inbetween the 250's and the 600cc+ sports.

Comment

@dug: if it happens, we'll be trailering the bike down to uni, so highway riding not really a huge deal. 5 miles on the highway max to the beach.
                Let us know what you get if it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rake View Post
                  brentos is right. 250cc can be good, or it can be bad. It depends highly on your height/weight and where you will be riding / what speeds you'll typically be riding at. I'm 65kg, and do fine on city/urban roads and motorways. It's been great to learn on, however, even I could really go something bigger now. But there doesn't seem to be much inbetween the 250's and the 600cc+ sports.
                  This is also very true. Since you said your only reasonable smaller a 250cc will be fine for you size. When i get my first road bike next month, ill be getting a 500cc Naked, only reason being im an experienced rider and 6ft/75kg.

So essentially it comes down to weighing up the options like Rake said.

Pro's 250cc -
                  - cheaper insurance
                  - better fuel economy
                  - replacement parts are cheaper
                  -weighs less
                  -more forgiving

Cons -
                  - Less weight means getting blown around more.
                  - Revs harder on the freeway
                  - Skinnier tyres/can't be dropped as low to the ground
                  -Less low/mid range torque (they need decent revs to move anywhere)

There are definitely others, but these are the main ones I can think of.
                  sigpic

Comment

For me when i got my 1100 (first bike) it was a matter of showing them I am capable to controlling myself unlike people who blast around. I had dirtbike experience but it is completely different in both riding style and feel. I have a gsx1100g almost 600 lbs and 105 hp at the rear wheel. They encourage me to ride now because of fuel costs.

Comment

In terms of convincing parents its unlikely you'll be able to, especially your mum. I tried so hard to get my folks to let me get a scooter at 16 and again to get a bike license at 17 but although dad didn't seem to mind there was no convincing mum. I just waited till I was 18 and then did it . cc isn't everything with a bike as shown above. a kawasaki ninja is more than quick enough and given your age probably loads faster than your car so if you do manage to convince your folks a 250 will be more than enough to start on.

Comment

a 400cc would be a good option since its got more power than a 250cc but not over the top.... dads gf bought a cb400 and it keeps up with the harleys down the freeway and is alot beter in the corners and started on it from never sat on a bike to riding alone 2 months or less
                        current ride: 99' holden barina, white stock

Comment

i ride a 96' cbr250rr. i seriously would recomend this bike as a learner bike. i weigh around the 90kg mark and it still get me where im going, at reasonable pace. and i get around 230km out of the 13L tank, and thats just doing short runs around town.
                          Check out My 180sx here

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X