Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Law: Your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Law: Your opinion

Hi there, Looking at getting my motorbike license in the future so keeping myself up to date with all the "happenings" in motorbike news and licensing.

I'm in New Zealand and at the moment the laws for L plate and restricted (similar to p plate) are limited to 250cc and under bikes as well as only being able to go 70kmh on your learners etc...
    However as of october they are changing these 2 laws to anything under 660cc engine can be used on your learners or restricted as long it was a power to weight ration of 150kw/tonne. The 70kmh rule has also been revoked on learner licenses

My question is. Which do you guys find to be the most sensible/practicle. I'm a bit stumped and was wondering what the *experts* thought
    Thanks
    A lot of people say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but i like to think" if it could be better, it's as good as broken"

We have something here called the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) which sounds to be basically the same. Not sure which states follow it, NSW does and I think Victoria do as well.

From the RTA .. sorry, RMS website:

Originally posted by http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html
    - All motorcycle up to 660ml built before December 1960 are approved.

- All motorcycles and scooters with electric powered engines are approved.

- All motorcycles with an engine capacity under 260ml are approved (with 5 exceptions)
    Models between 260-660cc have to fall under 150kw/tonne and approved models are listed in a publication. If they have LAMS approval, a learner/provisional rider may ride them.

What you must consider is that bikes are not like cars. Cars allow you to adjust the seat, steering wheel, etc to cater to the driver's comfort and needs. Bikes do not. If you were 6'5", you'd have a hard time finding a 250cc bike that was comfortable to ride. LAMS allows more choice and more freedom, whilst still having some sort of safeguard in place to prevent all the idiots who think a Yamaha R1 is a perfect first bike because they've always wanted one.

Comment

Wait do you guys need to have a separate license to drive a motorcycle in Aus? Here you need to pass a test and everything to get a motorcycle license and then your free to drive whatever street-legal bike you please. I believe you need to be old enough to have a full license though.
      29 years old, and still a daily.

Comment

Ahh ok, so you don't think the law allowing first time riders to buy a 660cc bike isn't irresponsible?
        Also does the power to weight ratio of the 150/tonne seem high or about right? i.e. not too powerful for first time rider?
        Do you feel that the LAMS works in Aus?
        Thanks rake
        Last edited by EP82_NZ; 03-09-2012, 06:17 AM.
        A lot of people say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but i like to think" if it could be better, it's as good as broken"

Comment

Originally posted by EP82_NZ View Post
          Ahh ok, so you don't think the law allowing first time riders to buy a 660cc bike isn't irresponsible?
          Also does the power to weight ratio of the 150/tonne seem high or about right? i.e. not too powerful for first time rider?
          Thanks rake
          Seems about right to me, the 150kw/ton is probably sensible, I think my last KTM would have been around that, was a 200cc 2 stroke though and a real handful. Maybe they should have an upper weight limit for the bikes however, as it seems just as silly putting learners on a massive heavy slow to react bike as it does on a powerful one to me.
          Originally posted by Jenga
          Then I did the rest of the trip with no boost - it was the most boring thing I've ever experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Rake View Post
            We have something here called the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) which sounds to be basically the same. Not sure which states follow it, NSW does and I think Victoria do as well.
            Queensland does too.
            Originally posted by tekkentool
            like this post? herpa derpa durr etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lphilp View Post
              Queensland does too.
              Tasmania as well, so it seems just about everyone does - its a sensible scheme
              Daily Driver - 1998 Saab 900
              Daily Rider - 2011 Yamaha YZF-R125

Comment

I'm fine with those rules.
                How safe a bike is, depends on the rider. A lot of the eligible 250cc bikes are very capable motor cycles, that if ridden over confidently will get a learner in as much trouble as a 660cc bike.

A 660cc bike will in some ways be easier to ride. It will be easier to get rolling, it will have better slow speed stability, it will be less prone to side winds and buffeting from trucks.

I got my bike licence in NZ on a 125cc four stroke with 16hp and I jumped to a 100hp 750cc the moment I had a full licence, so being able to learn on a 660cc bike makes sense to me if you intend to jump to a bigger machine straight away.

Comment

I think my 250 is old and slow and even that's proven enough to get me into trouble.

I prefer the sports bikes, given my size and weight I can't really see the need for anything up around the litre range. (That said, I'd exclude your big cruisers, but they're built for long open roads, so lazy torquey comfort/touring, not revvy speed and sport).

I rode a litre bike a few weeks ago and, good lord. And that was only a quick minute spin with nowhere near enough road to crack open the throttle properly.

150kw/tonne, on a bike that weighs 200kg, means an engine with only 30kw. Keep in mind too bikes bias towards power over torque, so the relationship between the two is skewed when compared to a car (which past rules dictate a threshold of 125kw/tonne).

Comment

Wait do you guys need to have a separate license to drive a motorcycle in Aus? Here you need to pass a test and everything to get a motorcycle license and then your free to drive whatever street-legal bike you please. I believe you need to be old enough to have a full license though.
                    Yes both car and bike qualification require separate Learner and restricted licence steps for each vehicle type. I'm not sure if you do the written road rules test twice, I got my car / bike licence in NZ so it just required doing the written test to show I understood the Australian rules when I moved over and I got a licence indicating the two classes of vehicle.

Comment

Be glad bro, it means the godly presence of the RVF400 may not grace your learner market.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by Crazy2287
                      Stephen, Are you stalking me?

Comment

this would mean a Harley would be legal correct? in SA its just under 250cc but you can have a device that limits a larger capacity engine as long as its professionally installed. so a 500cc harley is a no go.
                        "Is it weird this gave me a Rageboner?"

Comment

I wish it was like this in UK, I am stuck with 125cc bikes until I'm 24 unless I pass my Module 1 and 2 test before 2013 but that's too expensive to do.

Comment

Originally posted by EP82_NZ View Post
                            Thanks rake
                            too powerful for someone that is like 60kg probably, if i was to ride I'd need a pretty ****ing big bike JS.
                            All Class...
                            1979 Datsun 280zx **Sold**
                            2008 BMW 325I-M
                            1983 BMW 323I

the handbrake is on the wrong side FFS
                            Ben (DevZed): in aus handbrake is next to you
                            Ben (DevZed): in america, OTHER SIDE OF DA CAR... stupid.
                            F K: in america your fat thighs make that setup not convinient...
                            imagine a fat person trying ot use a handbrake that is buried in their thigh fat

THEY EVEN ADMIT IT!

Comment

Miki the UK roads are too small for even a medium sized bike. I have no Idea how you guys manage to fit cars and buses and things on them too

Comment

Working...
                              X