Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to save for first bike, but what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to save for first bike, but what?

So in 6 months I can get my bike licence (FINALLY!!!) and I want to start saving for my first bike.

But I don't know what I want, Probably something like a 250 so I can ride to Townsville and go for a cruise with the parents on their ST1300/CRB1100XX. Has to be sporty looking (Have looked at Kawa Ninjas, and they are pretty cool in black or blue) and around $2000 (which rules out the ninjas). Cheap parts, Cheap to run and Cheap to service. Light would also be nice, as I'm not the strongest person you will ever meet... Also im 5'7", I would like to be able to put both my feet on the ground.

I'm just looking for some opinions on what would be a good first ride, And I want something with a bit to it for the highway (hence why I don't want a 125) and to keep me occupied while I save for a even bigger bike when I get fulls (If dad is still selling his CBR1100XX Probably buy that off him).

Cheers,
    Suggest away!
    Regards - Samantha XOXO
    2001 VX Commodore

Originally posted by brian_rs/ss
    modded auto's are the tits. but i still love playing with my stick.

I used to have a Yamaha Zeal, 250cc 4 Cylinder revd to about 18k. Had an Over Racing exhaust system on it. Shit was it loud but it was fun.

Similar one to mine
    Jeep XJ Build Album - The Jeep in Action.
    Nissan Stagea 25X. - Thread

Comment

It would appear I will have to save a bit more than $2000 for a clean reliable bike with RWC and earlier than 1990. Oh well, will be chewing into the 6 months before provisional test while I save
      Regards - Samantha XOXO
      2001 VX Commodore

Comment

Yeah true. I know here in NZ the start price for a non GN250 bike thats legal is abot $3500

Comment

For the price and condition of older 250's, I could get a Kawa Ninja 250 with 10,000k's on it.
          I wonder what Is the best long term option.........
          Regards - Samantha XOXO
          2001 VX Commodore

Comment

long term probably not , i think youd get sick of having a 250 once you gained some road experience , especially in a rural place
            sigpic

Comment

Ct110

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AlxG View Post
                long term probably not , i think youd get sick of having a 250 once you gained some road experience , especially in a rural place
                I won't go anything bigger because I Know I will act like an idiot. Just like what I do in the commodore, and not being very experienced on a bike I will probably die doing so.

250 will be good until full R class licence and then get something that I will kill myself on.
                Regards - Samantha XOXO
                2001 VX Commodore

Comment

i dont see how a bigger sized engine would cause you to act like an idiot but alright , if your not that experienced what about a motard? there much more forgiving on the road , easier to ride and such , also wack a pair of knobblys on and go off road
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ren-dog View Post
                    I won't go anything bigger because I Know I will act like an idiot. Just like what I do in the commodore, and not being very experienced on a bike I will probably die doing so.

250 will be good until full R class licence and then get something that I will kill myself on.
                    I agree with that. Anything bigger then a 250 youre just going to make a bigger mess. The 250 will smoke most cars to 100 anyway.

As for a Motard (I assume this is a 50cc sit on not straddle jobby) been there done that **** that. They are more dangerous then a 250. Atleast the 250 has enough power to get you out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by AlxG View Post
                      i dont see how a bigger sized engine would cause you to act like an idiot but alright , if your not that experienced what about a motard? there much more forgiving on the road , easier to ride and such , also wack a pair of knobblys on and go off road
                      1: I can act like more of an idiot on a bigger bike "Whats the top speed!!!" kind of shit.
                      2: F*** no just no, no no no no no.
                      Regards - Samantha XOXO
                      2001 VX Commodore

Comment

Honda VTR250
                        Kawasaki ZZR250
                        Kawasaki GPX 250
                        Suzuki Across
                        Hyosung gt250r

Theres heaps to choose from, most of those should be close to your price range.
                        "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

"Lots of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more MORE is..."

My Ninja ZX10r
                        http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ki-Ninja-ZX10R
                        My Ute
                        http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Falcon-XG-ute

Comment

Originally posted by MOOG
                          Volvo is turbo and proper mad.
                          Originally posted by Jenga
                          You see, when a piston, block, crankshaft, and some fuel and air all love each other very, very much.....

Comment

One of my mates has a 2012 ninja, 250cc for sale now. Its probably out of your price range and it is in NSW but its $5500. With 20,000 km on the clock. Its a blue one too.
                            Qualified to do stuff!

Comment

Early 90's CBR250 2 stroke? I would certainly buy one if they sold them in America.
                              Originally posted by MOOG
                              Super Weasel Piss - sounds like its worth trying!
                              what is the US version of a cressida?

Comment

Working...
                              X