Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to save for first bike, but what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a yamaha yzfr125! they look mad cool

Comment

honda CBR250RR dude. sick little bikes. look awesome, go fast, cheap and good on fuel. its my first bike and i can't fault it
      Check out My 180sx here

sigpic

Comment

I'm looking at that VTR250, reading the reviews and they are all shinning.
        And they look pretty maaaaaaaaad in matte black.
        Regards - Samantha XOXO
        2001 VX Commodore

Originally posted by brian_rs/ss
        modded auto's are the tits. but i still love playing with my stick.

Comment

+1 for the Honda CBR250RR. 0-100 in around 5 seconds, light as anything at only around the 150kg mark, track bread so they're sportier than most of the 250 class and parts are everywhere for them due to their popularity. They can go for around the same price as a used Ninja 250, however they run rings around the newer ninjas in every way. Faster, lighter, fatter tyres, etc. I'd save at least $3500 for one though and have at least $1000 for gear on top of bike purchase price. CBR's will hold their value, newer ninjas won't.

Stay away from Hyosung though. Rubbish and dangerous bike.
          My Ride:
          2004 Holden VYII Berlina

My Other Rides:
          1992 Honda CBR250RR
          2006 DRZ400SM

Comment

Originally posted by Bradmancanfly View Post
            honda CBR250RR dude. sick little bikes. look awesome, go fast, cheap and good on fuel. its my first bike and i can't fault it
            I second that! It is a excellent first bike. Parts are still available easy to throw around corners and reliable. Also revs at like twenty thousand rpm. Little screamer.

Correction, I third that!
            Evil mechanics murdered my car. So I resurrected it back from the dead.

Comment

Originally posted by DUK33Y View Post
              Stay away from Hyosung though. Rubbish and dangerous bike.
              Im sorry but thats a load of shit Every bike is dangerous.... Hyosung's are fine if you maintain them same as every other bike

I would personally avoid any Older CBR or Ninja 250's because most of them have been flogged and if you are doing road trips you will probably want a more torque'e engine so you aren't up on high revs to stay in your powerband
              also wouldn't recommend a 125 (unless its a aprila 2 stroke they are sick) because unless you are changing sprockets they struggle past 100k's and if you change sprockets you lose acceleration they also suffer the 125's are for posers issue (they aren't and say anything about my 125 and il smack you with my man purse)

cant speak for vrt250's but be weary and always take a test ride (if you are new take and experienced rider so they can)
              Last edited by LEO; 22-10-2012, 09:46 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

people say you get sick of 250's quickly. im sick of my 600 trying to kill me XD. one of theese days when im not looking . I would just keep saving up and before you know it you will find the bike that's a good deal.
                Mx5 NA (1.6L)
                Impreza ('95 2dr)
                Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

Originally posted by LEO View Post
                  Im sorry but thats a load of shit Every bike is dangerous.... Hyosung's are fine if you maintain them same as every other bike
                  Yes every bike is dangerous, however, comparing hyo's against other bikes, with the factory brakes and factory tyres, they're more dangerous. Also, they weigh a tonne and have little power to push all that weight, not something a learner should be having to worry about. They're mechanically unreliable, especially comparing them to your disliked older CBR's. My old CBR has lasted 20 years without much work needing to be done, whilst new hyosungs have had horror stories from a mere 4-5 years old. Basically, Hyo's require a bucket load more maintenance compared to other bikes.

Unless the later ('08+) models have significantly improved over their predecessors, Hyo's shouldn't be considered unless you're desperate. Way too much out there that beats a hyo in terms of bang for buck. However, if you want to become a bike mechanic, a hyo would be a great option. You'll be forced into it =P

Good luck and stay upright.
                  My Ride:
                  2004 Holden VYII Berlina

My Other Rides:
                  1992 Honda CBR250RR
                  2006 DRZ400SM

Comment

I have a hyosung gt250r, the bike has just less than 30 horsepower but it weighs under 200 kilos. You will become a far better rider if you learn on a 250. You will be able to go round corners fast as well as the straights. And yes, a 250 will jump most cars. And nearly all to at least 70 kph
                    2009 Hyosung GT250R - SOLD
                    Volkswagen Golf Gti Mk4 20v Turbo

Comment

I own an 09 Hyo and yes they require more maintenance than the Honda and Kawi counterparts. The factory tyres are absolutely horrible and yes the brakes are bad too. I have Pirelli sport demons on mine and after market brake pads. The Hyo has to do about 6750 rpm to do 100kph and 11500 rpm at 165 kph

Comment

I just bought a 1990 Suzuki Bandit 250 great little bike. IMO get a naked bike for your first bike, because when you drop it, you only need to replace the clutch/brake lever and not a heap of plastics and mounts.

Comment

You will become a far better rider by riding something small to start with. Develops all of your riding skills rather than just going fast down straights.

Comment

Is this sporty looking ?

http://i.imgur.com/nXj9m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mzgsz.jpg

This is my 2009 hyosung gt250r

Comment

Go with a cheap, used, old, 250cc. Not a flashy race 250 just dont spend a fortune on your first bike. I bought a brand spankin new 250cc for my first bike, sure for a while it was pretty neat. But after a short few months (or weeks depending on how good you are) of road experience, you will defiantly want a bigger bike, especially if you want to take babes on it! Plus that way you can have big money for the big mods your gonna want to do to your pap's bike! My 250 is redlines at 130 kph. So if you are looking to get crazy, you need a bigger banana

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                                people say you get sick of 250's quickly. im sick of my 600 trying to kill me XD. one of theese days when im not looking . I would just keep saving up and before you know it you will find the bike that's a good deal.
                                Genius!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X