Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBR250RR or Ninja 250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBR250RR or Ninja 250?

Want to buy my first bike, hope to go to the dealership and buy it, I already have a helmet and I already have my Motorcycle license (USA), and now I want to know the pro's and cons between the two.

I'm referring to the 2012 models, I'm mechanically inclined and good enough with engines so the carburetor on the Ninja wouldn't be an issue, but what's everyone elses opinion, pros cons for both? weird things on either of the bikes to know of?
    Last edited by Hankey; 27-11-2012, 06:48 AM.
    Originally posted by MOOG
    Super Weasel Piss - sounds like its worth trying!
    Originally posted by brian_rs/ss
    what is the US version of a cressida?

Ninja 250 is more powerful and better looking imo.
    17 Years Old, Red P plater
    --
    Dream Car - Nissan Skyline R34 Gtr in Midnight Purple
    Dream Bike - 2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale R

Comment

I agree with idriveferraris,

Ninja:
      looks a bit better(except the exhaust)
      24Kw

CBR:
      Lighter
      dials are cooler
      more reliable
      has abs
      fuel injection gives a more responsive+ accurate throttle response

I think the honda is a slightly better bike but they are both very similar. I would go with which one you like more.(sit on them both)
      Mx5 NA (1.6L)
      Impreza ('95 2dr)
      Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

Have you considered a Ninja 300?
        Slightly bigger than the 250, FI, more powerful, better looking, and i think thye only cost about 500 more.
        sigpic

Comment

Get a ninja 300. It has all of the things 007 was flapping on about with more power.

If you are of a decent height the CBR is unbearable.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Crazy2287
          Stephen, Are you stalking me?

Comment

There is no 300 in North America.

Comment

When you're learning to ride more power isn't a selling point IMO. Get a solid foundation on bike control and reading ahead & reading traffic first. The CBR outhandles the Ninja easily, can really throw it around and it's very forgiving.

Comment

cbr250rr and cbr250r are different bikes.

The current cbr250 is too slow and you will get bored with it quickly. The ninja 250 is quicker and doesn't have FI but is that really an issue for you? I'd say the ninja 250 is more reliable that the cbr. It's been around in different forms for over 20 years now.
                "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

"Lots of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more MORE is..."

My Ninja ZX10r
                http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ki-Ninja-ZX10R
                My Ute
                http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Falcon-XG-ute

Comment

Don't buy a new bike if you're gonna get a 250! They lose value quickly and you're gonna ding it up anyway. There's heaps out there anyway. Also, the CBR250RR is a 4 cylinder bike (production ceased in 1996, sales ended roughly in 1998), whereas the CBR250R is a single cylinder bike (currently in production). They both produce roughly the same power, even though the Ninja is a twin parallel cylinder. The new Ninja's look pretty darn good, and so does the CBR but they're both overpriced and not worth it if you see yourself upgrading in the near future.

I have a CBR250RR (1996, sold in 1998) with a Tyga fairing kit. It looks modern and has a bit more juice than the current 250s. The older Ninja's are also 4 cylinder (And Yamaha has a similar bike too). The problem with buying older bikes is the rubber parts become cracked and worn. But they're not too expensive to replace if you do it yourself.

In short, if I was to choose between between a new Ninja 250 and a CBR250R, I'd get the CBR. The 2012 Ninja 250 is an old bike and is more or less unchanged for some years. You should look into the Ninja 300 though. But if you're mechanically inclined and don't mind working on bikes, the CBR250RR is superior even if it is 20 years old.

Comment

out of the three I would get the old CBR250RR, faster and you will learn a lot of you work on it yourself.
                    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

"Lots of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more MORE is..."

My Ninja ZX10r
                    http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ki-Ninja-ZX10R
                    My Ute
                    http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Falcon-XG-ute

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman View Post
                      out of the three I would get the old CBR250RR, faster and you will learn a lot of you work on it yourself.
                      There was no "older" CBR250RR in america.
                      Originally posted by KICKER View Post
                      Don't buy a new bike if you're gonna get a 250! They lose value quickly and you're gonna ding it up anyway. There's heaps out there anyway. Also, the CBR250RR is a 4 cylinder bike (production ceased in 1996, sales ended roughly in 1998), whereas the CBR250R is a single cylinder bike (currently in production). They both produce roughly the same power, even though the Ninja is a twin parallel cylinder. The new Ninja's look pretty darn good, and so does the CBR but they're both overpriced and not worth it if you see yourself upgrading in the near future.

I have a CBR250RR (1996, sold in 1998) with a Tyga fairing kit. It looks modern and has a bit more juice than the current 250s. The older Ninja's are also 4 cylinder (And Yamaha has a similar bike too). The problem with buying older bikes is the rubber parts become cracked and worn. But they're not too expensive to replace if you do it yourself.

In short, if I was to choose between between a new Ninja 250 and a CBR250R, I'd get the CBR. The 2012 Ninja 250 is an old bike and is more or less unchanged for some years. You should look into the Ninja 300 though. But if you're mechanically inclined and don't mind working on bikes, the CBR250RR is superior even if it is 20 years old.
                      The only reason I'm buying new is because I can make payments on the bike, there's no way I can buy a bike in bulk cash for the next year. I frankly don't trust myself with anything bigger than a 250 simply for the fact that I've gotten two speeding tickets and I'm on a deferral with sky-high insurance.

This won't just be a beginner bike, this will be a commuter that I plan on using for the next 5-10 years or so.

Hell, if I had money to buy a used bike, I would just pick up an 89 Hurricane for $1200.

Comment

Originally posted by Hankey View Post
                        There was no "older" CBR250RR in america.

The only reason I'm buying new is because I can make payments on the bike, there's no way I can buy a bike in bulk cash for the next year. I frankly don't trust myself with anything bigger than a 250 simply for the fact that I've gotten two speeding tickets and I'm on a deferral with sky-high insurance.

This won't just be a beginner bike, this will be a commuter that I plan on using for the next 5-10 years or so.

Hell, if I had money to buy a used bike, I would just pick up an 89 Hurricane for $1200.
                        Well if you plan to keep it for a while, a Ninja 300 seems like the better choice even more so. The 250 bikes are not built for highways or any speeds above 80kph. They have thin tyres (width-wise), are quite light meaning the wind easily blows you around and in cases where you need to power out of someone's way, some extra juice can be handy. The reason why the Ninja 300 was made was because 250 bikes are just a tad slow. Alternatively, the Ninja 650 and CBR500R are excellent learner bikes too. If you don't think you can control your speed on a motorcycle, you probably shouldn't ride one anyway. There's little room for errors.

Comment

Get a used 250 the resale is shit. Have you looked at a hyosung gt250r ? They are not as bad as people say.
                          2009 Hyosung GT250R - SOLD
                          Volkswagen Golf Gti Mk4 20v Turbo

Comment

CBR250RR or Ninja 250?

Get a 650. It's a better bike and you can find one for 2500

Comment

Just get a used F4I on craigslist and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X