Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'90s four cylinder 250s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90s four cylinder 250s

So all of the Japanese big four bike manufacturers made a 40-45hp four stroke four cylinder 250 during the 90s, and I've been thinking about buying one for my first bike. That 18k rpm sound and performance from a LAMS approved bike is what I'm after.

Anyone had any experiences with these bikes? Worth looking at, compared to say a 2006ish Ninja or 2008ish Hyosung? Any particular one to stay away from or look for? Thoughts or stories in general? Cheers in advance

Originally posted by Jenga
    Then I did the rest of the trip with no boost - it was the most boring thing I've ever experienced.

I have an 09 hyosung and these things are a fair bit faster. I like them if you find a nice one. They are normally pretty reliable depending on how they were treated.
    2009 Hyosung GT250R - SOLD
    Volkswagen Golf Gti Mk4 20v Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by RBKIWIDET View Post
      I have an 09 hyosung and these things are a fair bit faster. I like them if you find a nice one. They are normally pretty reliable depending on how they were treated.
      Yeah mostly worried about previous owners having thrashed them at this point. Any idea how they handle and brake compared to a bike like yours? Also, ever done a timed quarter mile on your hyo? Would be interested to see what they do
      Then I did the rest of the trip with no boost - it was the most boring thing I've ever experienced.

Comment

I've got a 1990 Bandit 250. Redlines at 17,000rpm. Unrestricted 45hp unlike some of the later bikes. 34,000km.

It gets along ok.
        Last edited by Hyde; 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I like the Honda CBR250rr because there are lots of them. So if you drop it you are able to find parts.
          White 2009 Mazda 2 Genki
          sigpic
          Di-oxy-hedral-burrito-Dorito watcha-call em doors are the best. You know, the ones on that Koenigsegg thingy.
          Don't like my taste? Get over it or put up with it.
          Originally posted by Sgt.PinkiePie
          Manual anything>Auto everything

Comment

personally dont like them. cylinders should never be that small. may as well be pencils. Give me a single banger 250 over the 4 cylinder plz.
            My "show" (wan|<) car:
            http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyde View Post
              I've got a 1990 Bandit 250. Redlines at 17,000rpm. Unrestricted 45hp unlike some of the later bikes. 34,000km, got it for $3000.

It gets along ok.
              Pretty reliable? How is it on fuel, and at open road speeds?

Comment

The old CBR's are very reliable but you have to remember you're dealing with a bike that is nearly 25 years old and has spent most of that time revving its tits off at that 18k RPM that you mentioned. So yes, things will probably go wrong, but you can always fix it. Bikes are so easy to work on and there's plenty of parts.

Do you reckon many of the current model CBR250 will still be getting around 25 years from now? I doubt it.
                "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

"Lots of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more MORE is..."

My Ninja ZX10r
                http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ki-Ninja-ZX10R
                My Ute
                http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Falcon-XG-ute

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy2287 View Post
                  Give me a single banger 250 over the 4 cylinder plz.
                  Oh no, they're horrible. Even with proper balance shafts the vibrate untill pieces fall off.

Comment

Do you really want to ride a 20 year old bike? they are over priced they are old but people love them...... I would go for a newer ninja....... but just a tip GO RIDE THE ****ING THINGS you will know what you want after you ride it
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jolly_26 View Post
                      Any idea how they handle and brake compared to a bike like yours? Also, ever done a timed quarter mile on your hyo? Would be interested to see what they do
                      I think they do a 14 - 15 sec quarter. Not for sure though. Brakes wise my hyosung pulls up pretty fast. With its twin discs on the front. Actually putting new pads on this weekend. Most of the older bikes don't stop quite as well but they still stop alright. I wouldn't take to a strip because I would probably get paired with a litre bike and get thrashed and then I would cry.

Comment

i have a 96 cbr250rr, they are a good bike. i haven't ridden a newer type road bike so i cant compare yet, but in my opinion, they look better than the new cbrs, and she'll do 100km/h in first, without hitting limiter(depending on how its geared) gets 250kms to the tank around town. my mates have had them aswell, and never had any problems (due to the bike failing anyway). the only problem is the desire for more power after a little while, but as a LAMS bike there isn't much you can do about it. id say they are great to start on
                        Check out My 180sx here

sigpic

Comment

I have only had my bike since December. Seems reliable so far except for one issue. Really low speed, stop starting stuff and it doesn't want to idle. One cylinder has a sticky valve I think, it overfuels and cuts out at idle. Getting it checked out on Monday. I haven't really bothered checking fuel consumption, I just ride it and fill it up when it runs out.

Sits at 10,000rpm @ 100km/h. Tops out around 180ish.

Comment

I get 460-480ks to a tank. Sits on 6500 rpm at 100ks and tops out at about 170

Comment

Originally posted by RBKIWIDET View Post
                              I wouldn't take to a strip because I would probably get paired with a litre bike and get thrashed and then I would cry.
                              No shame losing to a litre when you're on a 250 mate :P
                              "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

"Lots of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more MORE is..."

My Ninja ZX10r
                              http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ki-Ninja-ZX10R
                              My Ute
                              http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Falcon-XG-ute

Comment

Working...
                              X