Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my first bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first bike!

Well I got a bike! I decided to buy a cheaper used bike as my first because that way it's not such a big deal if I drop it or anything.

It's a 2006 Suzuki GS500F and I love it so far! I feel like it's pretty close to a perfect starter bike. It has enough power to be fun and entertaining but not so much that the throttle is frightening. Haha.

Good choice! I've contemplated picking up an old GS500E for around town a few times, but they are hard to find in decent shape.
    1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo II - T66 powered
    1979 MG Midget - High Compression N/A
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado - L18 swap in the works

Comment

looks like a decent bike, good buy!
      81 bronco
      89 F-150
      93 F-150
      79 Thunderbird
      73 Plymouth Fury
      01 Dakota (current Daily)

Comment

great learner bike! looks nice and clean too! nice work...

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with it. It's got under 5,000 miles. A couple little bumps from what looks like tipping over in the garage or something but beyond that it's perfect.

Comment

Awesome! I want to get a suzuki for my first bike as well, but I'm thinking a GSX-R 750. Make sure to tell us how you like it in the long run!
            2007 Mustang V6-BBK CAI-True Dual Straight Pipes w/ Flowmaster 40series-Various Bits-Lowered 1.5" on Ford Racing N springs
            Originally posted by BIGZED
            you're only as old as the Woman you feel.
            Guess that makes me 8.
            NOW A BROKE-ASS COLLEGE STUDENT AT GEORGIA TECH, VEHICLE PROGRESS HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED

Comment

Originally posted by NachoStang95 View Post
              Awesome! I want to get a suzuki for my first bike as well, but I'm thinking a GSX-R 750. Make sure to tell us how you like it in the long run!
              A 750 sounds a little sketch to me for a starter bike haha. I can think of two instances already in learning to ride this bike where I got a little nervous in traffic and popped the clutch a little more abruptly than I should've. On my 500 it just lurches forward, but a 750 would probably send the front wheel up towards the sky under the same conditions.

Comment

While I'm on my soap box here, I feel like sharing something I've come to learn as I've started riding, and that is that speed, and the sensation of what constitutes "fast" on a bike is totally different than a car. I feel like first time bike buyers who are car enthusiasts assume they need something like a 600cc supersport bike or even bigger to satisfy that 'need for speed' the same way their fast car does, but you don't.

I've driven some fast cars, supercharged Roush Mustangs, Porsche 911's, SRT-8 challengers etc etc, but because you're so cocooned in the safety of being inside a car, they don't feel super fast unless they are really powerful, and bikes are totally different.

My suzuki isn't an especially fast bike. I think they do 0-60 in something like 6 seconds, but when I tuck down behind the faring and pin the throttle through second and third gear or whatever it feels every bit as exciting and fast as any of the fastest cars I've driven even though its slower because you're so involved in the raw experience of the speed.

Now I'm sure with time and experience I will start to want to go faster and eventually I'll move up to a bigger bike, but for a beginner, you don't need a supersport bike to get that same rush you get in a fast car. Something like this 500, or a Ninja 500R or similar will be plenty exciting, trust me, and faaaarrrr less likely to hurt you if you're over zealous with the throttle.

/rant.

Comment

AFAIR gs500 do 0-60 in about 6.5s
                  Great choice btw
                  You're completely right that even cheap underpowered starting bike give you a feeling such a proper sport car give
                  "Don't look at the rust, look at the potential !"

By the way Sorry for my not perfect English

Comment

Cheap to run, cheap to fix and bomb proof if you change the oil.

Had one when I was a motorcycle courier in the late 90's.
                    89,000 km's of city thrashing and never had to tear the motor down.

Comment

Looks like a great starter bike! So glad to read someone actually using their head purchasing a motorcycle. Getting a supersport as a first bike just isn't a good idea, no matter how cool they are. Its not that hard to ride, but its very hard to ride well. Much better to start on a bike that wont instantly try to kill you if you get it wrong. Better to ride a slow bike fast, than riding a fast bike slow! Just do a quick youtube search, a good rider on a 250 can take a bad one on a 600 around a track
                      KTM 125 EXC - 1985 300GD Geländewagen - ///M BMW 523ia

Comment

Not bad, good choice!!

Comment

Definitely excellent choice. When I got my bike licence 2.5 years ago I got a brand new GS500F. One of the best choices I've ever made. You're dead right about feeling faster. And you definitely can have fun on the GS500. I've put 30,000km on mine in the last 2.5 years, and it's never skipped a beat.

Comment

Awesome starter bike, I like how you thought about your own safety as a beginner and didn't go out and try to start on a 1000cc sport bike. I always see new riders injured and worse because they chose to learn how to ride a motorcycle on a bike with 150+ hp. Also because of the hot California summers a lot of squids are riding around on high hp bikes and the consequences are sometimes not good since shorts and a bro tank don't quite protect you as well as say leather. So anyways congratulations on the bike and stay safe out there, ride ATGATT!
                            Bayerische Motoren Werke AG

1999 BMW 540i 6MT <3
                            BMW R1150R w/ABS
                            2009 Scion tC 5MT (Sold)

Comment

There must be some pretty relaxed laws in the states when it comes to bikes. So many vids on youtube of guys not even wearing helmets or anything. Crazy stuff, especially when you come off.

Comment

Working...
                              X