Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first bike thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first bike thoughts?

Thinking about buying one of these bikes as my first one

http://www.boostclassifieds.com.au/a...-for-Sale.html
    http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/...8%204294962131

Thoughts on them? or any recommendations?
    Thanks

I would say none of them .
    RG is a 2 stroke sport bike , very edgy and not so forgiving
    That GS is a scrap and looks like accident wrack

find better GS500 or Honda Cb500/NTV650(I don't know about AUS but in US its honda hawk NT650)
    "Don't look at the rust, look at the potential !"

By the way Sorry for my not perfect English

Comment

I just got a GS500F as my first bike and I think it's an awesome first bike. It's got just the right combination of size/weight/power/etc (in my opinion) for a beginner. I honestly wouldn't recommend a 250cc bike over a 500cc for a beginner because I think people 'outgrow' 250's too fast. People get bored of a 250 after just a couple months and then they think they're ready for a 600cc supersport and in most cases, they're not.

That's just my opinions though, so take them or leave them for what they're worth.

Here's a the thread about my GS500, where I talk more about some of these opinions: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-my-first-bike!

As for THAT GS500 in particular, I'd pass. Like speedy_doc says, it looks to me like it's probably been wrecked and then thrown back together to be sold as "custom" or something. I'm weary of the engine having been "stroked to 660cc", I've done a lot of research of GS500's on the GStwins forum lately and I've never heard of that big an increase in displacement... that bike just looks like trouble in general.

Also, I don't really know how the prices of these things transfer between the US and Australia, but I only paid $2,800 for my 2006 GS with under 5,000 miles on it....

Comment

That GS is a shed.
        But GS's are solid reliable bikes.

Unless you were born in the late 70's early 80's and are damm good with spanners dont buy a 2 stroke.
        They are an enthusiasts bike. Not a reliable daily rider.

Comment

Well thanks for the input i am now going to stay well away from that GS.

What would you recommend as a good (cheap though) first road bike
          all the riding i have done is around our farm on the dirt and a little on the tar when i was going to the bus stop to get to school.
          bikes i've ridden are;
          yamaha ttr 230
          honda xr 250
          and dad's KTM 300 EXC which was a fantastic bike btw kinda wish i could get one of them but they are a little out of my budget

Comment

find better GS500 or Honda Cb500/NTV650(I don't know about AUS but in US its honda hawk NT650)
            or honda xl650v , maybe yamaha xj600

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              That GS is a shed.
              But GS's are solid reliable bikes.

Unless you were born in the late 70's early 80's and are damm good with spanners dont buy a 2 stroke.
              They are an enthusiasts bike. Not a reliable daily rider.
              In my opinion two strokes are waaay easier to fix compared to a four stroke. Everything is very simple and easy to understand.
              First thing I ever took apart was my 50cc two stroke moped, and I had no problem despite never touching a spanner previously in my life.
              That said, I wouldn't want an old two stroke bike. Especially not for a daily, they do require some care and fine tuning every now and then. Although I have heard the RG250 is very fast for a 250. Can't really compare them to the "normal" four stroke 250s
              KTM 125 EXC - 1985 300GD Geländewagen - ///M BMW 523ia

Comment

Originally posted by Smenny View Post
                In my opinion two strokes are waaay easier to fix compared to a four stroke. Everything is very simple and easy to understand.
                First thing I ever took apart was my 50cc two stroke moped, and I had no problem despite never touching a spanner previously in my life.
                That said, I wouldn't want an old two stroke bike. Especially not for a daily, they do require some care and fine tuning every now and then. Although I have heard the RG250 is very fast for a 250. Can't really compare them to the "normal" four stroke 250s
                2 strokes are easy to work on yes but he was looking at an old Gamma.
                When your looking at bikes that age you need to know how many oversize piston's has it gone through, will it need a re sleeve, oil pump, rings, gaskets ect.

Fast 2 strokes don't tend to give you much warning if they are about to go wrong.

Comment

2 stroke are simpler but requires service more often
                  Old Fast racing 2 stroke - it really needs a lot of care and money

Comment

the 2 stroke will be a kick start too, just think about stalling it a the lights on a cold morning in heavy traffic and trying to start it
                    get a Honda CBR250RR from 1990-1991, 45hp, 110kg and awesome sound, just don't buy one with more than 50,000km as a spare engine will set you back $1000
                    but if you don't want to go fast and race your mates get a GS500, they are reliable and cheap and go ok for a learner.

Comment

Yeah wow that GS500, just based on it's price alone is a complete rip. Glad you steered clear of that. Hell, you can pick up a 2009 GS500F for anywhere from $4-$7k at the moment. Obviously a bit more than you were looking at, but I wouldn't ever pay that much for something so old.

Both myself and a good mate had GS500s brand new as a first bike. They're excellent as others have said. They may not have the acceleration of say a CBR250RR for instance, but they're by no means slow. I've used it as a daily commuter, as well as going for rides for hours up and down mountains on twisty roads.

Comment

Thanks for all the input i will keep looking around, i am liking some of the ideas.
                        was talking to my dad about getting a bike he reckons something like a suzuki drz400 or kawasaki klx 400/450
                        something kinda dual sport that's good on the tar and on the dirt but i don't know

Oh and what are the thoughts on a suzuki sv650??

Comment

Working...
                        X