Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need some suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need some suggestions

I've posted before about some triumphs and ducatis and such but I've discovered they are going to be underpowered for the type of riding i'll be needing from a bike. I've a big love of all motorcycles and have no hatred to any, although I don't like chromed out Harleys and cruisers that much.

but I've been searching and there's so many bikes to choose from that i'll probably enjoy I don't know which direction to go or what to look for that will be a decent all round bike for my lifestyle. I've seen some really good advice here for all types of bikes and i'm unaware of forums that are so diverse in the motorcycle world. so i'm asking here on a predominantly car based forum. I'm hoping if list what I'll be using a motorcycle for that you can help give me options and bikes to check out.

I'll be using it for school commuting and this includes 30 to 45 minutes on a highway heading to a class, getting around town and personal transport anywhere within an hour on both city and highways. needs to be a mix of sporty and comfy for longer rides, so similar to a standard bike and a naked/sport bike I guess i'm not sure what to call that.
    fairly cheap to buy I can't really afford 8 grand for bike 5 grand is really pushing it I've seen plenty of affordable bikes within 3500. I'm not worried about service prices bike parts are always cheaper than my cars parts at least here in America they are.

that's my criteria and there's tons of bikes I know that can fit it perfectly I just am lost as to what to look at.

any suggestions will be investigated and researched and if I can check them out in person.
    sigpic Because Race car.

minimal power/acceleration ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R...2af54b8c#v4-40 - hm ?
    "Don't look at the rust, look at the potential !"

By the way Sorry for my not perfect English

Comment

I don't have any limits I just need something that can keep up with highway traffic and get me out of trouble if it should arise.
      sigpic Because Race car.

Comment

So... I'm a little confused here. Why are the triumphs and ducati's you're looking at underpowered? Is this your first bike or are you an experienced rider? My 500cc Suzuki GS500 is plenty powerful for freeway cruising. It seems to me that you're more likely to get yourself into trouble with more power than "out" of it.... Just some thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          So... I'm a little confused here. Why are the triumphs and ducati's you're looking at underpowered? Is this your first bike or are you an experienced rider? My 500cc Suzuki GS500 is plenty powerful for freeway cruising. It seems to me that you're more likely to get yourself into trouble with more power than "out" of it.... Just some thoughts.
          If i lived in Germany i would get a BMW 1000ss so i dont get ***** by every C63 AMG that takes his fancy.

As Rinzler lives in america you should be fine with about 110HP(most 600s)
          Mx5 NA (1.6L)
          Impreza ('95 2dr)
          Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

so bmw R1150RT that I linked should be ok for you

Comment

i'm really liking the bmw a lot, there's a few others in my area too.

and I can ride I've ridden a lot and i'm pretty comfy on a bike I just never owned my own before. There's a lot of fast drivers that don't pay a lot of attention and on highway speeds the triumphs and ducatis in my price range don't have the oomph to get me away from a dangerous situation. the bmw looks great I love the look of them I just don't know a lot about them.
              sigpic Because Race car.

Comment

I'm also not an expert on the bmw
                I am a loyal Honda owner but the reviews are good and bwm Motorcycles are known for their quality
                Interpolates also opinions about cars (I'm a fan of BMW)

Comment

i'll have to check on insurance rates for bikes that compete with the bmw being a young person insurance on a bike can be random it seems. "oh you are a male wanting to insure a motorcycle 1000 dollars" i'm exaggerating but yeah that's what it feels like sometimes
                  sigpic Because Race car.

Comment

so been poking around forums and bike magazines and I've discovered some bikes I really like. the ducati and triumphs are out of my price range people like them too much and they have a reputation that means I can't afford either.

but I can find a relatively cheap and not to old Yamaha fz1 and fz6 as well as some older Honda cb600f's I'm really liking these three options of having almost sport bike go but the comfort of a daily rider. any thoughts on these bikes? i'm a little bias about yamaha's I tend to like them more than Honda but i'm trying to not be bias and give every bike a chance.
                    sigpic Because Race car.

Comment

Cb600f is a is a wonderful bike
                      I strongly recommend
                      It was love at first sight but not my budget and not my needs (I do not drive so fast so ntv650 fits better)
                      Last edited by speedy_doc; 03-04-2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

i'll be on the hunt I hope to find one maybe after this summer when I have extra funds for a slightly nicer bike plus they'll be cheaper for guys who are selling them after the riding season.

I hopefully can test ride some bikes I'm loving the fz and 599 (that's what the cb600f is called here)
                        sigpic Because Race car.

Comment

Working...
                        X