Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for a first bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a first bike

I've been thinking about getting my motorbike licence for a while now and finally i have my parents ok to do so. I'm really only just looking for a cheap reliable run about to and from work/uni. i fell in love the the 90's honda cbr250rr's (cos of their looks and motors) and I've found a few for sale. i don't want crazy fast. just something thats enough for city and residential driving.
    Any suggestions?
    Budget is around 4-5k
    '04 Avalon bone stock with mighty mods sticker

You can probably find a really good condition CBR250 for under $5,000, if you can save another $1000-$1500 you can buy one brand new.
    Its not turbo lag, it's foreplay
    MY S15 SILVIA MCM MAG ISSUE #2 FEATURE CAR

Comment

I had a hyosung gt250r up untill a couple of weeks ago when I bought a mk4 GTI. I rode longish distances (350ks) at a time and it was fine. I worked out that I averaged about 3.5 litres per 100 kilometres. I put about 13000ks on mine in 7 months. Rode it daily. I would recommend one. It wouldn't be quite as quick as a 90's CBR but you would be getting a lot newer bike for your money.
      2009 Hyosung GT250R - SOLD
      Volkswagen Golf Gti Mk4 20v Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by SX2BU View Post
        You can probably find a really good condition CBR250 for under $5,000, if you can save another $1000-$1500 you can buy one brand new.

yeah i don't really like the new cbr250's single cylinder i much prefer the 4 cylinder 250. what i was wanting to know if its worth spending something like 3,500 on a 1997 cbr250 with 20,000k's or not. if they were reliable, expensive to run, parts availability and such. hondas are generally extremely reliable but hey, nothings perfect lol. I'm not a big fan of v-twins unless its in a cruiser.

Comment

Ive been riding/learning to ride for the past 5 months on a 1992 CBR250RR as a commuter. I LOVE absolutely everything about it. Its got such a distinct engine sound to it and really rockets (for a learner's point of view at least haha). Most memorable time was when a BMW 335i E92 tried to hoon, and was able to keep up with him. The only one thing that MIGHT turn you off is that its a super sport. You'll find naked bikes will be a ton load more comfortable, but hey, I'd rather have fun on a short commute! My one has been quite reliable having done 63,000ish km.

My parents were never happy about my bike lol so I'm finally deciding to sell mine =(

Also, another thing to be careful with the CBR250RRs is that a whole heap of them were used as racing bikes for kids to learn how to race on the track and trashed like there was no tomorrow. Many of them did around 20,000ish kms then dumped in a shed and left for 20 years before some aussie decided to import a massive bunch of them here. If its a 1997 model, its more probable that its an ADM model, so its *safer* to say that it hasnt been had its guts wrenched out by a japanese teenager.
          Last edited by fatmun11; 21-04-2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatmun11 View Post
            Ive been riding/learning to ride for the past 5 months on a 1992 CBR250RR as a commuter. I LOVE absolutely everything about it. Its got such a distinct engine sound to it and really rockets (for a learner's point of view at least haha). Most memorable time was when a BMW 335i E92 tried to hoon, and was able to keep up with him. The only one thing that MIGHT turn you off is that its a super sport. You'll find naked bikes will be a ton load more comfortable, but hey, I'd rather have fun on a short commute! My one has been quite reliable having done 63,000ish km.

My parents were never happy about my bike lol so I'm finally deciding to sell mine =(

Also, another thing to be careful with the CBR250RRs is that a whole heap of them were used as racing bikes for kids to learn how to race on the track and trashed like there was no tomorrow. Many of them did around 20,000ish kms then dumped in a shed and left for 20 years before some aussie decided to import a massive bunch of them here. If its a 1997 model, its more probable that its an ADM model, so its *safer* to say that it hasnt been had its guts wrenched out by a japanese teenager.
            oh awesome thanks for the tip
            the one I've been looking at seems alright. it has all the racing logos repco etc etc on it but apart from that its seems alright. i just love the sounds of the engine which is the main reason for me getting it. also I'm quite a large guy (6"1) but I'm not light. I've seen people on cbr125's and such and they look weird because the bikes too small. do/did you have a size issue with you cbr? if you don't think ill fit alright ill look at a cruiser bike (honda vt400 or something) just something simple and comfortable.

Comment

Its a small bike and its got a very low seat height which was partly the reason why it was comfortable for me. im just under 5ft11 and at first i found my leg positions quite cramped, but i got used to it quickly. May or may not be a problem for you. BEST thing is go for a test ride on one (once your confident enough)!

If you dont find that it's comfortable, the CB250F Hornet is the naked version of the CBR. Uses the same awesome 4cyl 250cc engine, but a slightly detuned version (IIRC for more low end torque)... which means no 19500rpm redline =( haha. It wont be as cramped as the CBR and probably 50 times more comfortable! They seem to be a lot rarer in NSW than VIC when looking them up on bikesales. One drawback of the Hornet is that they use maaaaaad wide 180 rear tires, can be expensive when replacing.
              Last edited by fatmun11; 22-04-2013, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X