Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs


No announcement yet.

How does getting a motorcycle license work around the world

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How does getting a motorcycle license work around the world

    Am looking into getting my motorcycle license and buy a bike. Was wondering how getting a motorcycle license works in your part of the world.

    In the Netherlands, as for much of the rest of the European Union its as follows

    AM license
    At age 16, you can get a moped license, called AM.
    This limits you to a maximum engine size of 49.9cc. Can be automatic or manual, doesn't matter. Mopeds and scooters with a blue license plate are limited to 25km/h and don't require the rider to wear a helmet. When you have a yellow license plate, you are required to wear a helmet and the speed limit goes up to 45km/h (though most brand new scooters you buy for this license are factory tuned to go 55 or 60 usually). AM license scooters, bikes and mopeds can be recognized by not having an EU logo in the top left corner of the license plate.

    (If you don't have an AM license, its automatically added onto your drivers license when you get your car drivers license)

    A1 license
    When you turn 18 years old, you are allowed to get your motorcycle license, you're not required to have had an AM license. The A1 license is limited to an engine capacity of 125cc and a maximum power output of 11kw. You can choose to go for automatic or manual. If you choose automatic, you need extra lessons if you want to start riding a manual bike. If you choose manual, you can instantly drive both.

    Training consist of AVB lessons + exam and AVD lessons + exams, both with a licensed instructor. More on AVB and AVD down below

    A2 license
    When you turn 20 and have had your A1 license for atleast 2 years, you can go get your A2 license, you need to do an AVD exam to get it. At age 20, if you skipped the A1 license, you can also go straight for an A2 license, same training program as A1 license, only with a A2 bike. The A2 license limits you to a maximum power output of 35kw. At this point you can choose to get an full A licensed motor and have it detuned to put out 35kw and have the detune removed once you get a full license.

    A license
    When you turn 22 and have had your A2 license for atleast 2 years, you can go get your A license, you need to do another AVD exam to get it, just like going from A1 to A2. Power output and engine capacity is unlimited for this license.

    When you've never riden a bike and don't have an A1 or A2 license, you can go straight for the full A license, but only if you're 24 years or older. Training program is the same as A1 and A2 license, only with a more powerfull bike.

    AVB lessons
    AVB lessons and the exam take place in an closed area, usually an empty parking lot. The AVB lessons consist of learning to control the bike and learn to balance and operate the bike.

    To pass the AVB exam you need to be able to

    - standing next to the bike, you need to push the bike forward, make a slight left turn and back it up into a 'parkingspot', then walk the bike forward and turn right
    - drive in a straight line at walking pace with your feet on the pedals
    - slow slalom (walking pace)
    - 180 degree turn with a maximum turning radius of 6 meters (the examinor focuses on you controlling the bike and looking into the corner and all that, not simply being able to make the turn)
    - drive away from a parking spot (using indicators, look for traffic and all that)
    - stop the bike, while shifting into first gear just before you come to a fullstop
    - precisionstop, drive 50km/h and come to a stop in a certain spot
    - emergency stop (50km/h)
    - quick slalom (30km/h)
    - quick evasion at 50km/h, left right left
    - hit 50km/h, slow down, downshift, make a 3-point slalom and accelerate

    AVD lessons
    Lessons on the road with a qualified instructor on a bike or in a car behind you. He has a headset to tell you where to go or what to do, you can't talk back though. You need to show situational awareness, risk assesment and generally use the right techniques learned in AVB in everyday traffic and to be a save rider.

    When you do your AVD exam, the examiner is in a car behind you and tells you where to go and what to do and whatever.
    Last edited by TheCaptain; 08-08-2017, 08:21 PM.

  • #2
    To be honest, I have no idea. I'm Norwegian, and I've had A license since 2010 (I took A2 when I was 18, in 2008. Different rules back then I think)


    • #3
      Pretty much the same in France, however :
      the A1 license is from 16 years old,
      A2 license from 18 year old,
      and to get the A license, you need to have your A2 license since at least 2 years (until recently you could take on the A exam if you were 24 years old, but now you must have 2 years of A2 at least)
      My car : MG TF (2003)