Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radiator Fan conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radiator Fan conversion

    Simple episode suggestion!

    How to Change from a Clutch/Mechanical Fan to a Electric Fan.

    Not a huge budget, can be done within two hours, no need to jack up the car!

    A lot of cars up to the early 2000's use Mechanical Fans in their radiator cooling solutions. With more cars using a more modern approach to engine cooling, it would be nice (and useful!) to see this be done as there are some videos out there, but they don't really address the conversion in a step by step manner.

  • #2
    remove the mechanical fan usually 5 bolts discard it and attach the electric fan (try to find one the right size so you dont make it hard to attach it ti the rad)
    classics all the way

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ethan_Woody View Post
      remove the mechanical fan usually 5 bolts discard it and attach the electric fan (try to find one the right size so you dont make it hard to attach it ti the rad)
      It's not that simple however. In most cases the e-fans need more power than stock alternators provide. Not only that but wiring, relays, and proper setup are critical as well, otherwise you can crack fuses or worse!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by xDamonWolfx View Post

        It's not that simple however. In most cases the e-fans need more power than stock alternators provide. Not only that but wiring, relays, and proper setup are critical as well, otherwise you can crack fuses or worse!
        you may need to upgrade grade the alternator or run it to a switch so you can turn it on or off when you want
        classics all the way

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ethan_Woody View Post

          you may need to upgrade grade the alternator or run it to a switch so you can turn it on or off when you want
          Yes, but its not as simple as "lets just put this on and call it a day" and upgrading things, gotta do it -correctly- or things CAN go wrong!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by xDamonWolfx View Post

            Yes, but its not as simple as "lets just put this on and call it a day" and upgrading things, gotta do it -correctly- or things CAN go wrong!
            well can also depends on the car i found it was easier on a older car you have less gadgets using power unlike newer cars
            classics all the way

            Comment


            • #7
              Take a fan. Ziptie it to the radiator or bolt it. Take the positive and negative wire and route it to the cabin. Attach the wires to the ignition key so when the car is turned on, the radiator is turned on at the same time. Then add a switch in the middle to cut the power wire so when you desperately need that extra power when starting the car, you have an option to shut the fan off.. But use a switch that has a light to it when the power is cut off so it serves as a warning light when the fan is off. Boom. Not so difficult was it?


              Even simpler is to just take negative wire to battery and positive wire to cabin to a switch and the rest of positive wire to battery and boom same thing but now it's on when you switch it on.


              What a boring video that'd be.
              Check out my Ford P5 1967 17M, And comment!

              "The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BlueSedan View Post
                Take a fan. Ziptie it to the radiator or bolt it. Take the positive and negative wire and route it to the cabin. Attach the wires to the ignition key so when the car is turned on, the radiator is turned on at the same time. Then add a switch in the middle to cut the power wire so when you desperately need that extra power when starting the car, you have an option to shut the fan off.. But use a switch that has a light to it when the power is cut off so it serves as a warning light when the fan is off. Boom. Not so difficult was it?


                Even simpler is to just take negative wire to battery and positive wire to cabin to a switch and the rest of positive wire to battery and boom same thing but now it's on when you switch it on.


                What a boring video that'd be.
                Having that visually displayed would be a benifit. Especially since its not a one size fits all applications, some higher power E-fans might need an inline fuse or something. Or what if you want to have it thermo controlled? There's more than one way of setting that up you know, no need to be rude about it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by xDamonWolfx View Post

                  Having that visually displayed would be a benifit. Especially since its not a one size fits all applications, some higher power E-fans might need an inline fuse or something. Or what if you want to have it thermo controlled? There's more than one way of setting that up you know, no need to be rude about it.
                  Most good quality fans come with all the doodads and instructions so it should be simple enough.
                  If you buy a shitty cheap ebay fan that's just a computer fan then you might need to hook the wires up yourself.
                  Check out my Ford P5 1967 17M, And comment!

                  "The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BlueSedan View Post

                    Most good quality fans come with all the doodads and instructions so it should be simple enough.
                    If you buy a shitty cheap ebay fan that's just a computer fan then you might need to hook the wires up yourself.
                    If you say so.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I wondered why this forum died... then I read this thread and many more like it.
                      i don't wonder anymore
                      you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

                      rolly the rodeo
                      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...bretto-s-rodeo

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X