Sponsor Banner

Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech Engine Management http://www.bridgestone.com.au

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bang for buck track car = RX8 engine swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bang for buck track car = RX8 engine swap

Mazda RX8s on Carsales are going for as low as $5k with reasonable kms.
    why? because they're notoriously unreliable and consume fuel like a semi-trailer.

- First episode doing some basic track mods and educating the masses on Wankel Rotaries.
    - Second episode thrashing and revving the balls off it on a track, until the 13B dies, Coz let's face it, it will die.
    - series of episodes swapping in a more reliable engine like a 3RZ or K Series before slamming a good ol turbo on it which will hopefully be easy because there's so much room in the engine bay due to the 13B sitting so far back.

Thus presenting you with a track car with the following attributes:
    - relatively cheap
    - handles like a God (because Mazda)
    - RWD fun times
    - stock LSD
    - makes reliable power.
    = winning combo
    ​​​​​​
    And if you do it first then I can copy laters

Originally posted by Suellen View Post
    why? because they're notoriously unreliable and consume fuel like a semi-trailer
    They are if you know nothing but V8's with 1930's style pushrod valvetrains and 200hp out of a 6-liter engine.

They can be very reliable if you treat them right. They need exactly the right oil. The first gens had trouble with lubricating the rotor so its recommended to mix a bit of 2-stroke oil into every tank of fuel. The second generation RX8's had a third oil injector so this isn't necessary.

If you start it, you pretty much have to drive it for up to operating temperature. If you start it, move it a few feet and shut it off, then after 4 or 5 times the sparkplug will be foul and it won't start again. This is because its running really rich on coldstart. Also, only beat on it when both oil and coolant are up to operating temp, it needs to be beaten on regularly or it won't get rid of oil residue inside the engine, it will eventually gunk up and make the engine run bad.

Then there's the well known issue of a weak spark and the weak startermotor, all of which can be solved with aftermarket parts.

The Mazda 787B's engine was found to be in perfect condition after winning the 24 hours of Le-Mans in 1991, the engine was pretty much deemed ready for another 24 hours of racing.

It has its drawbacks, but I'm getting a bit tired of people who simply don't understand the rotary and call it unreliable. "I turbocharged mine without doing anything to the internals and it blew an apex seal, must be shite" - "It doesn't even have one cylinder lol duh potato"
    Last edited by TheCaptain; 12-02-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

But yes, I do agree with you that MCM needs to start a rotary project really soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCaptain View Post

They are if you know nothing but V8's with 1930's style pushrod valvetrains and 200hp out of a 6-liter engine.

1990 Chevrolet Chevy van G20

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Working...
        X