Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like more videos about the Nissan NX Coupe/Toyota Sera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like more videos about the Nissan NX Coupe/Toyota Sera

I feel a little dissapointed when Marty said than they won't continue the work on the Nissan NX-Coupe and the Toyota Sera, because I feel this kind of cars are more affordable to most people as a project/second/race car than the Subaru WRX STI or the BRZ featured in the last series of videos.

I really would like to see what can be done to improve the NX-Coupe, which I think is more interesting than the Sera, because any upgrade would be also compatible with the Nissan Sunny/Sentra/Sabre N14 of the same era, which are quite more common than the NX, and also with the Almera/Pulsar/Sentra N15, which is slightly different, and even (in a limited way) with the Nissan Primera P10/Infiniti G20.

I would like to see:
    - Improve the engine power with a turbo, or swap the engine for a more powerful one (SR20VE or SR20VET)
    - Improve the brakes with the 300ZX ones.
    - Move the battery to the trunk.

Your ideas are valid; but all have serious limitations.

- Improve the engine power with a turbo, or swap the engine for a more powerful one (SR20VE or SR20VET)
    We've seen SR20 turbos multiple times. Along with the GTiR, which was nissans 'best' SR20. SR20VE's are worth more than the car.

Also, with the 180 upcoming, we're going to see MORE SR20 again!

- Improve the brakes with the 300ZX ones.
    To what end? The brakes on the NX were proven to be A-OK for the power it has, and ti hasn't even had a pad upgrade.
    Besides, I expect the 180 will get brakes.

- Move the battery to the trunk.
    To what end in a FWD car?

• What I WOULD have liked to have seen, was the neons, speakers, etc all lit up at night. 2 Sex-Spec cars outside of their natural habitat just aint right.
    • I'd love to see an ACTUAL autosalon sex-spec car, from scratch. We haven't seen VIP style from the boys yet, and VIP lends itself well to the showcar scene. a 350GT or even just a Camry; low, big rims, underglow, leather, stereo, resin-pour their own shift knobs.... you name it.

Anyway;
    Basically what we're seeing, is the evolution of the show.
    The guys are still doing trips into nugget land for fun, but they've explained they're currently doing 'catch and release' jobs, saving (our idea of) classics from becoming landfill.

The reason things like the BRZ and STI were (are) so popular is because they are accessible and relatable in their own ways.

The STI shares nearly everything with a GC8\GF8 WRX; things may be built with less power in mind, but the layout and upgrade paths are all 1:1.
    The BRZ has a 'Cheaper' cousin, the 86GT. And besides minor styling, the advantages of the BRZ from the factory, are 'wasted' if you intend to do suspension work anyway!

And to put icing on the cake, both are available below $10k (Well, the 86 is about $12-14 with covid tax, but still). So they're very accessible.
    Only the guys have the youtube stats, but I'm going to guess most fans are long-standing; not new subs each month.
    Meaning most of us will be in our mid 20's or 30's; so out car budgets are likely (as a generalization) significantly higher than when we were 'kids'.
    Gotta appeal to the audience.

The Sera+NX were doomed from the start anyway; we've seen the formula; having the guys 'challenge' each other means they're working on different cars and the mods will be smaller and less inspired.

We need a nugget they can BOTH get into.

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post
      We've seen SR20 turbos multiple times. Along with the GTiR, which was nissans 'best' SR20. SR20VE's are worth more than the car
      Do you remember the eBay Turbo Yaris project? 7.000 $ in the turbo conversion of a car worth 3.000 $.

Here in Spain (and in many other countries of Europe), adding a Turbo to a NA engine is almost impossible to do, if you want to drive your car in open roads.

So, swapping to a SR20VE swap is a better (cost effective) way to improve the power, than trying to improve the NA power output without adding a turbo.

Also, you can't use the SR20DET from the 180SX on a FWD Nissan Sunny, NX-Coupe, Primera or Almera, you must get the Bluebird one, which is really Hard to get (at least here in Europe), and costs as much as the SR20VE (or even more).

To what end? The brakes on the NX were proven to be A-OK for the power it has, and ti hasn't even had a pad upgrade.
      Besides, I expect the 180 will get brakes.
      NX brakes overheat fast in the track, 300ZX ones are a cheap alternative without spending 3.000 $ in a Brembo conversion.

To what end in a FWD car?
      Battery placement in the NX-Coupe reduces airflow to the air filter.
      Last edited by Kullman; 18-10-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Yes, because they wanted to do a NA to Turbo conversion in a FWD, they'd only done the MX5 prior to that.
        ​​​​​​So to each point, you've just explained the advantages, but not to what end you'd like to have seen.

They weren't chasing a power figure.
        They weren't building a track car.
        They weren't trying to make more power.

- They're also not in spain; while you can whack a turbo on for about $1000 using FMU's and a welder, as I said, SR20VE's here aren't as cheap.
        - I don't doubt the brakes overheat, but it wasn't a track car they were doing.
        - And the car seemed to start and drive just fine, so it can't reduce air enough that the ECU can't compensate for it.

So, as I said, to what end?

If anything the logical "more videos" would have been restoring them to saturday night cruiser glory; underglow working, perhaps hydraulics, straight pipes.
        All the 'old shit' from the 90's-2000's that just isn't done now.

While your points are valid, I don't think they were ever aiming for anything your suggestions would have helped with.

Comment

When I watched that final battle, and thought, hey, that NX coupe could be moogs 2sexy. Get rid of the showcar stuff, wheels, and the like. Strip the interior, put in a cage in it, put on track suspension, maybe big block it or turbo/supercharging. And then battle it out
          MCM Forum Online meet 2020 right here:
          https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...-mcm-meet-2020

Opel Adam S 1.4 Turbo
          Nissan Skyline 25GT-T R34
          Yamaha XV950

(R-I-P) Ford Focus Mk1 TDDI Wagon
          (Sold) Skoda Rapid TDI
          (Sold) Yamaha FZS600 Fazer

Comment

I thought this channel was about repairing and modyfing "cheap" nuggets which (almost) any of us can buy.

Lately, the channel is losing that spirit, unfortunately.

The Lotus is one step more in these trend, but not the first or the second one...

I guess it all started with the Focus RS, and continued with the Golf R...

Next one could be a GT-R...

Comment

Originally posted by Kullman View Post
              I thought this channel was about repairing and modyfing "cheap" nuggets which (almost) any of us can buy.
              I think you've misunderstood then;
              It was always about modifying cars that they liked, and nothing more specific than that.
              They just happened to like 90's cars, which at the time, were worth little.

I mean, most of the fanbase is older than when they started, so the majority will have a little more money now.
              With a few exceptions, they've all been within 5k of each other.

Look at market value in Ausralia;

The MX5 at time of shooting was about $10k.
              The S15 was about $15k
              The Golf GTI Mk4 was about $12k
              the Forester was about $17k

And currently 'on the rack' we have;

BRZ, which is about $17k, or $12k for an 86GT
              GC8 WRX, which in 4 door, is about $5-8k
              180SX which WAS about $10k (that only spiked recently to like 25, odd).

I could go on all day :P

While the exact cars they own, are often a special edition and a little more expensive (BRZ vs 86), overall their market value has remained about the $5-20k mark, which is an achievable budget for anyone with full time employment, even if it's over the course of ownership ($5k a year for 4 years, for example).

NONE of the builds have been 'affordable', supergramps probably has nearly $50k of parts and labour.
              The datsun has all the usual import costs, purchase cost and conversion costs, which we KNOW easily surpasses $20k.
              The Mira must be easily in the $40k's after all the dipping, import, and labour then paint.
              The Mini has to be $25k of car.... then parts, then labour (flights to the UK, and the new engine).

Even the old builds; the MX5 was at least another $5k build, using literally scrap!

In fact the STI's handing mods, and the BRZ's turbo kit is probably the cheapest major mods they've ever done to a vehicle.
              $5k turbo kit, bolt it on, drive away; not much has been simpler or more affordable in a LONG time.

I agree, they're certainly targeting a slightly higher market than in Season 1, but they're also in their late 30's AFAIK, like a lot of us would be.
              It only make sense to grow with your audience.

Comment

You are assuming than most of the current fanbase of the MCM Youtube channel is the "old", season 1, fans, and I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

Lots of their viewers aren't from Australia now, and I'm certain than a big part of them haven't turned 30 yet.

Anyways, if this is the new path of the channel, maybe you are right, and I'm in the wrong channel.

Comment

You are assuming than most of the current fanbase of the MCM Youtube channel is the "old", season 1, fans, and I'm pretty sure you are wrong.
                  I may be assuming they're long term fans, thats fair.

Lots of their viewers aren't from Australia now, and I'm certain than a big part of them haven't turned 30 yet.
                  I'm not assuming anything here, thats public data.

https://www.noxinfluencer.com/youtub...W2J3A?tab=subs

Fair'nuff, thats 25-34, but still at 25 you've normally managed to secure some type of job.
                  Less than 20% are at the age that they can drive, yet below 25.

As I pointed out, with a few exceptions for their personal cars, the project cars haven't really gone up in value much anyway.
                  Last edited by Master_Scythe; 26-10-2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Well I'm an old season 2 fan and I really don't give a damn. Marty and Moog do what they want and what they find interesting, if they can't learn anything from the experience or if they are feel like they're repeating something they already did, they won't do it. They've said it themselves multiple times.

If you want a 'how to turbocharge your car video' on the NX coupe, then watch the MX5 series, or any of the other video's where they mess around with turbo's.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCaptain View Post

Well I'm an old season 2 fan and I really don't give a damn. Marty and Moog do what they want and what they find interesting, if they can't learn anything from the experience or if they are feel like they're repeating something they already did, they won't do it. They've said it themselves multiple times.

If you want a 'how to turbocharge your car video' on the NX coupe, then watch the MX5 series, or any of the other video's where they mess around with turbo's.
                      I don't want to turbocharge a 100NX, because it can't be done in Spain... Trying to legally add a turbo would cost 3 or 4 times what the car cost, and I'm not talking about the parts.

I'm still trying to decide between the dutch made Volvo 480 Turbo and the Nissan 100NX, anyways.

Maybe you don't give a damn, but them probably want to get as many subscribers and views as they can.
                      Last edited by Kullman; 26-10-2020, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Maybe you don't give a damn, but them probably want to get as many subscribers and views as they can.
                        I bet that lotus is way better car for that than 100nx.
                        1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by SBC View Post

I bet that lotus is way better car for that than 100nx.
                          Probably... I really don't like it, but there are a lot of channels about fixing and modyfing expensive cars.

As I said, maybe I'm in the wrong channel...

If ChrisFix or Car Throttle start to buy and fix Lamborghini, Lotus or McLaren, I guess i would also stop watching them...

Comment

Probably... I really don't like it, but there are a lot of channels about fixing and modyfing expensive cars.

As I said, maybe I'm in the wrong channel...

If ChrisFix or Car Throttle start to buy and fix Lamborghini, Lotus or McLaren, I guess i would also stop watching them...
                            If I remember correctly, ChrisFix has really ****ing expensive custom H1 Hummer.
                            1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by SBC View Post

If I remember correctly, ChrisFix has really ****ing expensive custom H1 Hummer.
                              Correct.

(Almost) All his cars are stupid expensive unless you're in America.
                              All of them are more than MCM's project cars anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X