Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mythbusting Different Spark plugs/ignition systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythbusting Different Spark plugs/ignition systems

Upgrading the spark plugs and ignition system is one of the simpler mods. Do they actually make any difference, or do you need to add them with a change in ECU settings to see the benefit? or are 2 dollar plugs juts as good as 25 dollar ones?

There are a few vids on the subject online, but none by the MCM crew, who I'm sure will do it better and with more fun.

look for differences in Gaps/iridium/platinum/copper cores/coil packs vs HT Leads etc.

Cheers

4114n

Originally posted by 4114n View Post
    Do they actually make any difference
    Not really. Getting better ignition system is more like a support mod you need to do when actually adding more power to your engine.

Really fancy ignition system and spark plugs ain't gonna do much on stock engine.

1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

I see where your theory on a video about this is coming from; but really spark plugs are simple things; they ignite fuel. They're a product that either works, or doesn't.

About the only interesting thing is that bigger spark gaps, means a bigger hotter spark, meaning a better ignition; but I believe the performance change would be 'hidden' by the variables in a roller dyno run-to-run.

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post
        really spark plugs are simple things; they ignite fuel. They're a product that either works, or doesn't.
        This. I had all the bells and whistles from MSD Ignition in my Pontiac, but still I used the cheap ACDelco plugs, because those was cheap to replace.
        It ran super rich when cruising in city, so it needed new plugs more often.
        1982 Ford Taunus

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by SBC View Post

This. I had all the bells and whistles from MSD Ignition in my Pontiac, but still I used the cheap ACDelco plugs, because those was cheap to replace.
          It ran super rich when cruising in city, so it needed new plugs more often.
          Thanks for the Feedback. But I guess the idea remains.. Mythbusting that they can make a difference, in that case? As some are sold as perfromance enhancing.

Comment

Thanks for the Feedback. But I guess the idea remains.. Mythbusting that they can make a difference, in that case? As some are sold as perfromance enhancing.
            But how would you suggest testing?
            You need at least 10% power change for the human body to notice, and the single % changes would be hidden by a dyno. They're really not an exact tool.

I guess if they hired an engine dyno so they could monitor exact fuel feed and air pressure in the room.....
            But engine dynos are rare in Australia.

Comment

As some are sold as perfromance enhancing.
              Yes and pod filters add +10hp.

Fancy spark plugs in stock engine are as useful as lipstick on a pig.
              1982 Ford Taunus

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by SBC View Post
                Yes and pod filters add +10hp.
                Fancy spark plugs in stock engine are as useful as lipstick on a pig.
                To be fair, his point is that it's a mythbuster; what we 'know' thousands won't.
                I don't disagree with his reasoning.

But since I pointed out right away a chassis or hub Dyno wouldn't be accurate enough to measure it; and he said
                the idea remains
                I'm just curious what methods he had in mind to measure the difference.

I feel like this sort of myth busting is better for one of those big engineering channels with bore-cameras and probes, so you can see and measure combustion directly. I'm just not sure how our 2 favorite boys could manage it is all.

Comment

Working...
                X