Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project MR2 Gt or RX-8?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned both.

I'd have another SW20 any day of the week. Would never own another RX-8.

It's not to say the RX-8 is entirely a bad car, as it will out handle and out brake a SW20 with ease, and they are super forgiving to drive. They have four doors, sound unique and IMO look really good.

However all that doesn't take away from the biggest problem of the RX-8. They are slow. Really slow. They also drink fuel like no tomorrow. That wouldn't be a problem if they were actually fast, but they aren't. It is literally 500hp fuel consumption for 200hp performance.

The SW20's are becoming rare and collectible now. Parts still available through Toyota. The JDM turbo cars have decent power and torque. 168kW/304nm torque for the gen2 engine, 241hp/304nm for the gen3 engine (October 1993+). You can run 12 second 1/4 miles with a couple of bolt ons on even an early SW20 turbo. ct20b turbo, downpipe, exhaust, more boost. The RX-8 isn't even in the same book as the MR2 when it comes to modifying.
    Last edited by Hyde; 28-05-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

No experience with either but would like to own both!

With both, look at what your plans are for it and also account for costs for maintainence. in the UK you can pick up RX8s with blown engines for next to nothing so always tempted but always put off by the cost of replacing or fixing the engine.

MR2 is going to be more straightforward due to more common engine. stab in the dark would suggest mods will also be far more easy to come by and chase power (assuming rotarys require different things to larger turbo, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyde View Post
        I've owned both.

I'd have another SW20 any day of the week. Would never own another RX-8.

It's not to say the RX-8 is entirely a bad car, as it will out handle and out brake a SW20 with ease, and they are super forgiving to drive. They have four doors, sound unique and IMO look really good.

However all that doesn't take away from the biggest problem of the RX-8. They are slow. Really slow. They also drink fuel like no tomorrow. That wouldn't be a problem if they were actually fast, but they aren't. It is literally 500hp fuel consumption for 200hp performance.

The SW20's are becoming rare and collectible now. Parts still available through Toyota. The JDM turbo cars have decent power and torque. 168kW/304nm torque for the gen2 engine, 241hp/304nm for the gen3 engine (October 1993+). You can run 12 second 1/4 miles with a couple of bolt ons on even an early SW20 turbo. ct20b turbo, downpipe, exhaust, more boost. The RX-8 isn't even in the same book as the MR2 when it comes to modifying.

This is exactly the same conclusion when i was making my decision, i really like the appeal of a Rotary and the RX8 IS the best and cheapest way to get into it, but I'm really wanting to get into Turbo Tuning and doing some decent mods. And while im at it i may as well have that much fun in a car that is actively trying to kill me! xD
        Car List:
        1996 Isuzu MU 3.1L (4JG2 Manual) Turbo Diesel
        1990 Toyota MR2 GT 2.0L Turbo (SW20)

Yeah... Thats about it..

Comment

Oh!

I should probably update this thread now that I've actually bought one xD
          As it happened, one night i was drooling over some MR2's on CarSales and i couldn't find anything in my price bracket, so I decided to look on Gum Tree in my local area, and LO AND BEHOLD THERE WAS A 1990 SW20 TURBO IN MY TOWN FOR SALE

So of course the next day i go and check it out, it was super mint - aside from the clutch pedal not working and a coolant leak, so I had a think about it and I went again to investigate it a bit closer - looking for rust, crash repair, anything that's a huge hassle, again, super mint, no damage, low kilometers, modified, just awesome - i should probably mention that it was unregistered too, but - project car, ya know? xD

We're talking Built engine, big turbo, water to air intercooler, Haltech ECU, coil overs, massive wheels and tyres - the owners had put it in the "too hard basket" they both worked full time or on shift work and didnt have the time or motivation to work on it.

So, i slapped down my $500 deposit the day of the second look - then a few days later, grabbed a trailer, loaded it up, paid the other $3000 and it was mine
          Thats right - $3500 for a MR2.. with a built engine - big turbo - big ass intercooler - the works

So thanks everyone!

I loved this thread and you've genuinely helped me make my decision!

I'll post a photo of it asap!
          Car List:

Yeah... Thats about it..

Comment

Aannd here it is in the back yard!
            Car List:

Yeah... Thats about it..

Comment

Gratz you made the right choice.

I would avoid the RX8; the MR2 is a much better option, maybe a little more challenging to work on but a tone of fun and fewer gremlins.

Comment

MR2 GT with a Renesis engine? Sounds like some should build one!

Comment

Working...
                X