Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap car <$2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap car <$2k

Hi guys,

So now I'm in the market for a cheap car, which I don't have much to spend due to finances (and needing a car to get a job etc..)

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? For $2k, I don't expect to get much, but something that's cheap on fuel, cheap on spares (i prefer to do my own work), and something that might be considered reliable (I know cheap car + reliable don't really go together)

Specs

Small > mid size
    Manual
    1.8L-2.0L (not after a performance car, but nothing that doesn't feel like it struggles, or feels 'flat' when accelerating)
    Cruise Control would be nice, but not a must
    Something that doesn't require 'brand name' fluids, like my last honda needed.
    I was thinking a small wagon/hatch, where I can put my bike if needed.

The 2x that I was looking at are,

Nissan Pulsar N15 2.0L

Mazda 323

The pulsar seems to be a P plate/modder magnet.. 99% of the ones for sale seem to be modded in some way.. I don't trust they were driven my miss daisy.

Any other suggestions ?

For that kind of money i would look around and around and narrow your search online,

i was in the same spot a week ago but 3000 was my budget i ended up with a R31 skyline wagon with road and Rwc for 3500 spent a month looking everyday,

good luck and any questions just post them here and ill tell you what i know and wont tell you what i dont

Comment

Thanks Thisguy

I've extended my budget to $3k & have come across a few Mazda 323's, though some distance from me, Ill have to work out a time to go inspect.

One of the Mazda 323's is an 02' SP20, pic look ok (but pics can be misleading). 250k on the clock (which equates to 17800 per year, which seems normal). The place that sells it though, a dealer, only registered on the https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/Re...te=4nkbpam0k_4 about 20days ago.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...14725920/?Cr=4

Not sure if this is an issue or common practice ?

-------------------------------------
      Another is only a 1.6L, probably more fuel efficient, but a few less options, and less Km's

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-de...dId=1145732270

```````````````````````````````````
      And a 3rd I enquired about, is a 1.8L, he asking $3k firm, which is pretty much my Max budget

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-de...dId=1149731975

Thoughts ?

Comment

With the car dealer you should look up any reviews you can find, people will normally let you know if they are shifty,
        im not to sure whats with the busines registering, but wouldn't let it scare you off as it says they have been around for a over 10 years.

They all look good on adds (as most cars do)
        it comes down to what you will be most happy with, is it the right price, and most of all is the car healthy
        look for panals that have been replaced or taken off and pit back on and ask your self why? Open all the doors and anything that you can open to see hidden floors, test drive with no music and make sure the car isnt dirty as dirt hides rust and paint, and answer questions with your eyes and ears.
        it can pay to have RSCV look at the car for a bit of money it can save you a lot of money.

hope i covered everything
        anything else just ask
        your more than welcome

Comment

Thank Thisguy,

With the link, I noticed it didn't direct properly :/. Clicking on Holder Name "J&H TRADERS PTY LTD", it shows 2x 'Business Names', "SYDNEY AUTO MARKET GROUP" was the one I was looking at. Not much in the way of reviews (so far), but I might look into their other business, "Advanced Wholesale Autos".

I'll also print out a inspection checklist, just in case. I messaged a mobile mechanic in the area, but was quoted about $275 for the inspection, not sure if that's steep or not, but Ill check out NRMA too, see what they're like

Thanks again,

Comment

No problem mate, keep me updated and look forward to seeing how things work out

Comment

One of the things I always look for is a car that might be less popular (obviously not hideous though!) for example in the UK large petrol engines are less popular due to poor economy and estates arent as popular as saloons.

This means that I got a 2.4l Honda Accord Tourer for

Comment

Originally posted by Dex101 View Post
                One of the things I always look for is a car that might be less popular (obviously not hideous though!) for example in the UK large petrol engines are less popular due to poor economy and estates arent as popular as saloons.

This means that I got a 2.4l Honda Accord Tourer for
                Just watch out im not saying always but sometimes cars that aren't popular are unpopular because of common issues

example ford is always getting chopped by holden () hahaha but for real some cars are just crap

Comment

Not sure why but the forum keeps cutting my posts short.

The idea is not to buy a rubbish car, but to get a model that is less popular or sometimes manufacturers do stealth versions

A great example of this in the UK was the Vauxhall Signum, they released a version with the same engine as the vectra VXR but didnt badge it as a VXR.

As the signum model was less widely marketed than others (for those that don't know it was like a vectra but designed for passenger comfort in the back (lots of leg room, option of a fridge etc!) these models werent that popular but they now sell cheaply and you get a nice car, with a good engine for a lot less than you would pay for the same engine in a Vectra. Win Win, chicken din...

Comment

Honda prelude dude! bloody good cars, overlooked by the cheap car crowd, fast and good handling. also check out the Legend, also fast, also overlooked by the cheap car crowd. leather luxury for cheap!

Comment

Thanks guys

The cars I had on shortlist ended up getting sold, so back to square one,

I had a look at another Mazda 323, seemed different in person than in pics, but considering my low budget, have to keep expectations low I guess

Just wondering, what do you guys think, in general, of 1.6L engines? are they usually considered underpowered and not as good to drive ? I was originally looking at 1.8-2.0L cars, but have seen a couple, that look ok, though am unsure if I should keep look at something with a bit more power. ??

Originally posted by spanner monkey View Post
                      Honda prelude dude! bloody good cars, overlooked by the cheap car crowd, fast and good handling. also check out the Legend, also fast, also overlooked by the cheap car crowd. leather luxury for cheap!
                      I had a look at those, though they both appear to be sedan(?). Looking for something like a hatchback

Comment

1.6 in the UK is fine where petrol costs are a lot higher as they are more economical (in general). In the UK, 1.6 is classed as a larger engine so has higher tax (1.5 and under is cheaper).

Its not going to set the world on fire but isnt going to be hell to drive.

Any reason you want a hatchback? only as again UK speaking they command a premium so you tend to get a bit more for your money on different body styles. Also insurers in the UK set insurance premiums a lot higher on hatchbacks in the UK.

Comment

Hey Dex101 , primarily I want a hatch due to the way the boot opens, as I feel you gain more vertical space for slightly taller/bigger items. Though I don't mind sedans (saloons?), at this stage I'm gonna stick with hatchback style car .

Comment

Iv never driven a 1.6 letter well nothing under a 2.0 letter, but if you plan to drive day to day at the speed limit as well as not looking to turn it into a rocket i dont see anything wrong with it, its about making a car the achieves the goals you set for your build.

Comment

Unfortunately you don't really have any real room to be picky.

Look at generic 80s-00s Japanese hatchbacks with as good a service history as you can find, and go. Or, a twin-cam Excel.
                              My 2000 WRX Club Spec Evo 4 - Sic 'Em Rex!

Comment

Working...
                              X