Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap first car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap first car

So I'm living in UK and I'm looking for a first car. I read up some horror stories about insurance for inexperienced drivers being as high as
    Last edited by Smaguris5; 18-03-2018, 06:07 AM.

Insurance costs are a bit of a nightmare in the UK to be honest.

What is your budget?

Comment

Well, you're lucky you don't live in Ireland, its down right ridiculous over here with some borderline criminal quotes to younger drivers.... Still I do sympatize with you, but my only advice is to try and find a car that's cheapish to insure first and build up some no claims bonus and good track record. Do your research with plenty of car alternatives to see which car is least expensive for you.Think more in line with a 1-litre Polo or Corsa instead of a Mk4 Supra...

Comment

Insurers still believe Belfast is still on fire and rioting every night.

Im 28 and still get some "interesting" quotes.

For a new driver, your never gonna have much bhp. My advice would be to buy the best specced small car you can find.

Comment

The same applies over here in the states. If your under 25 you pay pretty high rates for car insurance. Once you pass 25 as long as you have no "blemishes" on your driving record your rates drop quite a bit.

Comment

I feel lucky in australia, it dosent matter what age you are all the insurance prices are the same. In my opinion Id just buy a small car thats cheap to insure.

Comment

Originally posted by wrxstichuchu View Post
              I feel lucky in australia, it dosent matter what age you are all the insurance prices are the same. In my opinion Id just buy a small car thats cheap to insure.
              Bruhh what do you meann? Just got a quote for a 2001 Golf GTI Comprehensive with RACQ. Costs $150 monthly for someone born in 2001 (just got their p's) vs $50 for someone who was born in 1990. Big difference there bud.

Comment

Originally posted by wrxstichuchu View Post
                As Flux said... that's not true at all, in Australia if you are a male under 25 you pay heaps. I have a more or less perfect (couple of speeding tickets but no insurance claims) record, live in a low crime safe location, car is parked in a locked garage at night, I am 29 and half the insurers won't even insure me for my Liberty GT Spec B. they claim (under 30 and subaru = hoon). The ones that adid insure me ranged between $800 per year and $1,400 (not unreasonable prices really but a huge range for essentially the same insurance level (RACQ vs NRMA for example).

Comment

So did you create a shortlist of your possible first car?

Comment

If you want a cheap car to start with, you should have a toyota starlet, very well engineered and cheap to maintain.

Comment

Well, having a Japanese car as the first one seems to be a good idea. Those cars are a really good, and you won't have to maintain it. I think that a Japanese car is the best option for the first car of yours. That's why I bought a Toyota for my son, for his 18th birthday. It is an old fashion Toyota Celica, but it is a very good one, he won't have any troubles with this car. It took me a lot of time to find this car, and a little time more to find out how should I transport this car as I found it a 1000 mile away. The only one option left was to ship this car, but I've heard a lot of rumors about shipping services as they might lose your car or damage it badly, so I was looking for a very good Shipping service. A friend of mine told me that I should use the www.Shipaa.com as this is the best service on the market. They have new trucks, open and enclosed type of transportation, door to door or terminal to terminal transportation and a GPS tracking system to track your car. Well, I used their services and to be honest, I was really pleased, this service is 100% the best
                      Last edited by GoodFollow; 12-05-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Second that regarding the Toyota idea GoodFollow. Would stay away from the likes of a VW, especially having recently had a client with $5000 second hand Bora tell me he was quoted $2000 to fix the non-functioning rear door central locking.

Can understand that it can be hard for a young person to work toward something that has a bit of go and a touch of cred on a tight budget, though ultimately reliability and inexpensive service costs are positive elements for those on a budget over the time of ownership.

Perhaps what ever you look at, there may be a secondhand buyers guide that indicates not only insurance costs though service costs also. A pre-purchase inspection might seem a tad expensive intially, especially for a car you may not end up buying, though a few quid up front might save you quite a bit down the track. An automatic gearbox that hasn't been serviced or some failed electrical component can be pricey. So yep, settle on a budget, a few models that kinda suit and then do your research on issues/recalls for the model you decide.

Hope that helps mate.

Comment

Here in Spain, I would recommend the SR20DE Nissan Primera, cause they are really common, quite cheap to buy and maintain, and very reliable.

Also, having a 110 KW. engine in a car than weight less than 1.2 ton, is quite rewarding on curvy roads.

But i'm not sure if the Primera is also common in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                          X