Sponsor Banner

Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech Engine Management http://www.bridgestone.com.au

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a r33 Gts a good idea for a P plater?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a r33 Gts a good idea for a P plater?

Hey everyone. Im coming from sydney and i only just got my P plates (so im 17 and a bit) and have never owned a car before. i have some experience working on cars doing minor things like tyre changes, piston return spring replacement, dint removing, fuel pump replacement etc. pretty much have enough knowledge to be able to maintain a car without a mechanic in reasonable condition. I have around $8k and am looking into all kinds of cars but one that caught my eye was a R33 GT-S (N/A) and p plate legal. im a big nissan and skyline fan too. But after a forum search all i came back with was half of the people saying they are slower than thier godsent falcadore or just dont waste your money and buy a civic. I want to actively be part of the car community with car meets and such but i also want a car i can be proud of myself, even if its a shitty N/A skyline. I just cant imagine grinding it in a car you dont enjoy for 4 years. if anyone has an idea on other driver cars that are similar, dont cost an arm and a leg and are fun to drive and nice to look at im up for suggestions.
    pic unrelated. but hope this doesnt become me lol

I dont know what the laws are but a guy on here called APPLEGEEK has a pretty awesome P subaru. I dont suggest the R33 if speed is your thing. But remember if your not an experienced driver even a slow car can be a great way to learn skill. I started with a 174 H.P. audi C4 sedan. the code is for the body. I was also automatic. I got it for near free 100$ but it was ugly and had horrible sound. The first thing I did was repair the door which had been smashed the night before the car was traded in. Then I changed the rims to something a bit more modern. This was a good learnning experience as I had to do some suspension mods to get the wheels to fit.
    Then I upgraded my ancient radio to something more modern with a woofer. Then seats and interior paint.
    Then I started light engine mods.
    3 bodies later I had a 400+ H.P. Sleek black sleeper that was smashing corvettes way back in 2009.
    What car do you want and what are your laws on inspection?
    My advice is get a car you can really get into.
    Permanent rev limiter = the crank popping out to say ELLO!!!!

Comment

R33 GT-S Non turbo would be a good first car. Not overpowered, but fun to learn in. However you might be a cop-magnet so I'd suggest keep it looking as stock as possible as not to attract un-due attention. Also with the current fuel prices, will use 10-15L/100km which could be also a factor fuel depending on your income.

I'm currently driving a 1996 Soarer, NA 2JZ auto POV pack, (It's a lux barge compared to a R33 by about 100-200kg and not really a performer). However with an alloy rad to cool the auto/engine and stock suspension I am starting to take it to track days. It's almost the slowest there, but still a heap of fun.

The R33 GTS will be a similar problem to mine where it will have the down-specced brakes, diff etc etc so keep that in mind when putting money into it.
      It might be worth just spending money on things such as a good set of wheels and tyres and a few creature comforts (or things that can be transferred to another car) then moving to a factory turbo model when you are full licence. This could possibly save a heap of work, and money in the long run.

Luckily for you, R33 prices are starting to head up, Soarers are still depreciating :P

The other option could be a smaller lighter platform, ie Honda. I've been anti-fwd for a while however some guys at the track days got around in a Honda Jazz with BC coil overs, brace and rear seats removed. They handle well and if it is your only car, cheap to run with the current prices vs 10-15L/100k as a daily.
      That way you can save up for any performance vehicle you want when the restrictions of P plates are removed instead of spending it all on fuel.

On a slightly different note, I'd also suggest when you do get a first car, do a skidpan/defensive driving course in it, once thing I regret doing when I was on my P's. Makes you more perceptive, know the limits of your car better and better prepares you for a snap judgement situation.

Comment

Completely depends on the prices and insurance rates. The cheapest R33, any R33 actually, here costs about 12k's at minimum, I would not recommend that to someone who just got their license.
        Last edited by TheCaptain; 22-05-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Hi there,

I assume insurance isn't a big issue for you in Australia, but how about trying to go the opposite way and instead of an R33 (which in fairness is a mean looking car) and look for something that actually handles badly...? My point is, you are young and want to get a sense of speed and excitement, so why not go with something that's not going to make you lose your driving licence? Someone who owns a Triumpg GT6 told me sometime ago that one reason he likes his GT6 is that it handles so badly that he feels like Colin McRae going round corners even if it's not even close to the speed limit!!! Then again the most fun car I have ever owned was a '96 Peugeot 106 Rallye that handled like a demon and it took corners like it was on rails!

Joining the car fraternity is not so much about the car you own but about what you make of it, any car can be exciting and it's just down to your own attitude (think of 'Kei to the city' and cars along those lines)!

Comment

Working...
          X